Thread Popularity

We need a thread about the member who was damn near religious about his favorite heavy metal band, then a light appeared and he suddenly grew an appreciation for, of all genres, classical. I would follow that one. :)

A particular thread has a 'state of potentiality', a state that could “collapse” to different actual states depending on the context.

Potentiality is not the same thing as ambiguity, but they are related. If something has the potential to unfold to different actual states then its current state may appear ambiguous. One of the characteristics of creative people is that they tend to be comfortable with ambiguity. By letting things hang in an uncategorized state in their mind they may slowly come to a richer, more nuanced understandiing of it, which may lead to a new insight or invention.

A particular thread has a 'state of potentiality', a state that could “collapse” to different actual states depending on the context.

Potentiality is not the same thing as ambiguity, but they are related. If something has the potential to unfold to different actual states then its current state may appear ambiguous. One of the characteristics of creative people is that they tend to be comfortable with ambiguity. By letting things hang in an uncategorized state in their mind they may slowly come to a richer, more nuanced understandiing of it, which may lead to a new insight or invention.
Or, it could just be a dumb thread.

Something I wonder about sometimes here at AK is why some threads are so popular and why some basically just get ignored.

I have observed that threads which contain the word bacon seem to be quite popular :idea:

Although I do not understand why, do not participate in those threads, and do not even eat bacon, I believe statistics would validate this theory.

Probably the best way to avoid being obsessed with elephants is to not think about them. Just sweep elephants from your mind, don't think about them.

STOP THINKING ABOUT ELEPHANTS!!!
STOP IT, NOW!!!

Back
Top Bottom