Three Seasons of Music - Winter Side

wajobu

Boing Boom Tschak
My audio journey has taken many twists and turns from humble days of Radio Shack kit-building and an early used Realistic STR receiver followed by a Yamaha CR-620 and then CA-810 amp in college in the mid to late 1970s (I still have the amp). After much experimenting, buying, selling, trading & building (though not nearly as accomplished as Redboy or others). I am very fortunate to be listening to this system, unless it's during the heat of summer.

-Amplifiers: Manley Mahis (stock photo)

attachment.php

-Preamp: Manley Jumbo Shrimp
-Phono Preamp (built cautiously by me with encouragement from Drybasement): Bottlehead Seduction
-Digital: Bel Canto CD2 (using the onboard DAC)
-Analog 1: Garrard 401 (restored w/ custom aluminum plinth & Thomas Schick tonearm & Benz Ace cartridge). Used more with the Summer Side system.
-Tuner: Yamaha CT-7000 (restored power supply by Merrylander. The best sounding tuner I've ever heard).
-Speakers: ADS L-910 monitors (I first heard these in 1978 with a Yamaha A-1 amp and hoped someday to have a pair, along with the amp...30 years later--still to be restored, but they sound wonderful).

I have a three season system for the summer side of things...more on that later.

Last edited:
Uh...no. Good try! A system that awesome demands pictures...and so do I. Bust a move on it...don't hide the digicam aight!

Great system!

I'm going to have to agree with Art here! I like that 401. Did you make the plinth? It's got an industrial feel going for it.

I don't think that's been a Garrard for quite some time. VERY-post-op. Love the Manleys. I too would like to see more pics.

"That's no moon! It's a space-station!!!"

.... I like that 401. Did you make the plinth? It's got an industrial feel going for it.
Industrial to say the least. Functional yet aesthetically pleasing. I love the looks of both decks, and the contrast among them.:thmbsp:

There it is! :drool:

Wow man, that's got to be fantastic. How do you like the Ace on that stick?

Oh, and I still want a CD2!

I'm going to have to agree with Art here! I like that 401. Did you make the plinth? It's got an industrial feel going for it.

Yes, I went contrarian to almost everything I read (slate, wood, etc.)--heavy blocks of aluminum (just mill finish...for possible matching anodize with Manley in the future). It comes apart for transport and pieces are isolated with neoprene--feet are adjustable. The tonearm support is a cylinder of aluminum, bored out for the wiring. I can provide PDFs or an AutoCAD file since the cutout is from the original schematic (though I found a slight dimensional error in it and corrected it).

I'll post some more photos...been kind of busy lately.

Thanks for the comments :)

Yes Nate, the Benz sounds really great and quite literally right out of the box! I waited for a REALLY long time for it (almost as long as the backorder on the arm!). For some reason Benz was WAY behind on filling orders as was Mr. Schick, due to the Stereophile review and a slight redesign that was incorporated into my arm for a future anti-skate add-on, but it tracks just like "butt-ah" even without it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom