Threshold + Dared = happy Acoustats

tomlinmgt

Lunatic Member
I've been kind of struggling with my Acoustat Spectra 22's since I picked them up back around Thanksgiving. They never sounded bad, per se, but my gut kept telling me they had more to offer than I was hearing. Thinking my pre was to blame I decided to up the ante in that department. I came to this conclusion after I tried using my GF tube DAC-09 as a pre and found it to produce better SQ from the Spectras than any pre I had in the collection. I decided on a Dared SL2000a (now using Brimar AT7's and rectifier) and have found it a remarkable little unit....a far cry better than any other pre I've owned. And though it did help the Spectras I still felt there was more juice to squeeze from the fruit. Amplification during all this was coming from an Aragon 8008 but last week I picked up a Threshold S-300 II and after being marveled by what that amp has done for my Infinity QLS-1's I decided to give the Spectras another go. Finally the Acoustats are starting to sing. They have a sublime and capable character to them I didn't hear before (I'm smiling and chuckling an awful lot when I listen to them now) and the thinness I was disappointed to once hear from them has been replaced with a rich balance of content. I still can't get them beyond mid to high 80 db listening levels without panel distortion but up to moderately loud levels they are really standing out from the crowd. LF response is much improved as well and with all but the most bottom heavy material they do absolutely fine without subs. Better than fine, actually as I get a physicality and heavier tone from their LF dynamic that is quite satisfying. Orientation of sound stage content is properly scaled in all dimensions and no single instruments seem to blare at me any more...something they were struggling with a bit prior to the Threshold. Distorted guitar finally sounds meaty and strong and certain male vocals now have added heft. Basically they've become more competent with a greater variety of genres than before which, obviously, opens doors to a heck of a lot more material (which is a very good thing now that MOG is in the house). I should mention that the GF-09 has been replaced with a -11, but make no mistake it's that ol' Pass magic workin it's spell here.

- Michael

The Dared SL2000a preamp is a sleeper. I think it is a great preamp when good tubes are rolled in. I also use a Brimar rectifier and kind of juggle around 12AT7's that get used depending on the amp and speakers I set the preamp up with. I also discovered that although the DAC09 isn't too bad as a preamp, it simply gets destroyed by the Dared SL2000a. Like you, I like Pass Labs amps to use with the little Dared. I love my Pass F5! With my Pass amp I like using the NOS Mullard 12AT7's.

Now, let's see some damn pics!

I've had a Threshold 330/s in my system for a while and I can vouch its a fine amp.... in its day and continues to perform wonderfully today and even better with new caps. It truly gives you a glimpse into what a more modern Pass designed is like.

MWalt...congrats on the Pass F5! Thats a very good one.

I've had a Threshold 330/s in my system for a while and I can vouch its a fine amp.... in its day and continues to perform wonderfully today and even better with new caps. It truly gives you a glimpse into what a more modern Pass designed is like.

Thanks. At the present moment, the F5 is with Ed Schilling of the Horn Shoppe and his tech buddy getting "improvements". I can't wait to get it back!

Indeed. Sufficiently so, in fact, that I'm looking into an SA/3 to pair with my S-300 for active multi-amping applications. I'm quite curious to hear pure class A Pass power.

- Michael

Indeed. Sufficiently so, in fact, that I'm looking into an SA/3 to pair with my S-300 for active multi-amping applications. I'm quite curious to hear pure class A Pass power.

- Michael

Lots of body and great micro at lower levels. Sound like power on reserve for classical music with going form very silent to very loud passage in an instant.....you really feel the meat on the bones, if you understand what I mean?

I've listened to two great power amps this weekend and both have Class A. but not full class A, but really didnt need it. The First was the Vincent Sp-331 MK. Class A first 10 watt. Sound was as described above then it goes to class AB, and unless you are driving some power starved speakers like Maggie's 1.7 then it still sounds great in AB....ut you only will get AB at very loud levels.

The other was a Pass Labs X250 which is class A up too 20 watts before going AB. Same as whats said above...outstanding Amp and because not full class A all the way you save a little money....Class A all the way with power rated at 150 watts for the Vincent hybrid and the Pass X250 at 250 watts is not really needed unless you play music really really loud.

Back
Top Bottom