Threshold NS-10

RPMz

Looking for some info on this old skool preamp. What is it worth if it is in great cond and everything works as it should?
How good is it?

Much appreciate it:thmbsp:

NS10, VERY GOOD, 750-850, if in top shape, Jon Soderberg (formerly worked with Nelson Pass at Threshold)/Vintage Amp can recondition to like new or better. You would probably have to spend at least 3k today if not more for anything close.

Gotz it

Minez. $200.
WOW this thing soundz crazy clean and detailed. By far the best preamp I have ever heard. I can't believe how clean this thing sounds, amazing.
I wouldn't sell this ever, even at 5,6 times the price I paid. It's that good and mint. This goes to the grave with me. Did I mention how Damnn clean and detailed this sounds?

If you EVER get a chance to grab a Threshold preamp for a fair price I'd highly advise you to get it. Don't think about it. If you come across it but don't have the cash on you then leave a deposit, run to the bank and get a credit card advance, loan then run back the next day and pay it off. Thank me later

View attachment 261843View attachment 261844

View attachment 261845View attachment 261846

Last edited:
Niiiiice. Yeah you could definitely just keep that forever. I thought my preamp find last year was impressive, but you may have me beat there. If you get bored, you've got a few electrolytic caps to replace and a volume pot to upgrade to some crazy esoteric thing.

Minez. $200.
WOW this thing soundz crazy clean and detailed. By far the best preamp I have ever heard. I can't believe how clean this thing sounds, amazing.
I wouldn't sell this ever, even at 5,6 times the price I paid. It's that good and mint. This goes to the grave with me. Did I mention how Damnn clean and detailed this sounds?

If you EVER get a chance to grab a Threshold preamp for a fair price I'd highly advise you to get it. Don't think about it. If you come across it but don't have the cash on you then leave a deposit, run to the bank and get a credit card advance, loan then run back the next day and pay it off. Thank me later

Good advice. Nothing like real high-end gear. Enjoy your new Threshold. You stole it!

Best,

Paul

Nice job! I just picked up an SL-10 for a heck of a lot more than that. I’m a big fan of older Threshold gear, or new for that matter (I just can’t afford it). Any electronic item with some age on it will need some TLC, electrolytics and such, but you’ll be rewarded for the effort.

RPMz did the former owner give you any service history on the NS10? The NS10 is a very high quality preamp as you can tell from the sound and build quality, nothing but the best available parts and material when it was built. It's getting up in years and if not done will require updating of caps etc. Seeing you only payed $200 which was an absolute bargain you should consider sending it to Jon Soderberg/Vintage Amp and have him bring it back to spec and sounding as good as new or better. I was also as amazed as you when I first heard my Threshold SL10.

RPMz did the former owner give you any service history on the NS10? Seeing you only payed $200 which was an absolute bargain you should consider sending it to Jon Soderberg/Vintage Amp and have him bring it back to spec and sounding as good as new or bette

Majick47. No he did not give me the service history. I was thinking of sending it out for a revamp. Do you know Jon's contact info?
Thanks

RPMz see you found Jons contact info & web site. If you do a search you will find that Jon has an excellent reputation for quality repairs/upgrades and other than Nelson Pass is probably the most knowledgable re the original Threshold products. He serviced my SL-10 which was in need of new caps and cleaning the volume and balance controls. He uses top quality replacement parts which arn't cheap but does his best to keep things within your budget and I considered the amount he charged quite reasonable. As I said for what you paid, $200, you should still be able to have it brought back to spec by Jon and still be well under what they are selling for in the same condition. On top of sounding excellent the Threshold gear was built to last a lifetime with periodic maintenance maybe every 20 years to keep it in top shape, nothing like the throw away junk you see today. If you open up the case you will see what I'm talking about. For me it was a MAJOR upgrade in my system and shortly after I purchased a "vintage" Threshold SA/3 amplifier that had been servived by Jon 5 years prior. I'm sure there are others that would service your NS-10 but to be honest I wouldn't trust anyone other than Jon, his prices are very fair and his work is outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom