threshold or nakamichi amp?

jamie123

there's not much info here in the uk for these amps so whats you opinion guys?
either a nakamichi pa-7mk2 or a threshold s200

I'm going with Threshold as well. I'm sure the Nak is no slouch though..I don't think you could go wrong with either.

there's not much info here in the uk for these amps so whats you opinion guys?
either a nakamichi pa-7mk2 or a threshold s200
It is not a equal comparison. The Nakamichi PA-7II has twice the power per channel of Threshold S/200 (225 vs. 100 watts). Nakamichi usually goes for less money in the US so the choice would be obvious in US (more power for less money). But I am not sure about the market in UK that which brand commands more money. Both are the Stasis design of Nelson Pass which should work very well driving difficult speaker loads. The Threshold S/500 is more comparable to the Nakamichi PA-7II in term of output power.

How much power do you need? What is the speaker it will drive? How big is your listening room? Those should dictate your choice, not just the brand. Is the Threshold S/200's 100 watt/channel enough for you? Is it much cheaper? Is budget a consideration in your case?

hi,
both brands are expensive here in the uk, the pa-7 is £800 the threshold is £1200!
my speakers are ns1000's,
thinking about it logically the sony 700es should be able to drive them with 100 wats but you know how it is,we get bored and fancy an upgrade :)
the room is 3.5 meters by 5 meters and the speakers are on the long side with me about 2 meters away from them,nearfield listening so not turned up to great volumes.

Last edited:
hi,
both brands are expensive here in the uk, the pa-7 is £800 the threshold is £1200!
my speakers are ns1000's,
thinking about it logically the sony 700es should be able to drive them with 100 wats but you know how it is,we get nored and fancy an upgrade :)
the room is 3.5 meters by 5 meters and the speakers are on the long side with me about 2 meters away from them,nearfield listening so not turned up to great volumes.
The Yamaha NS1000 are one of the best sounding loudspeaker from Japan, but somewhat inefficient. Music is dynamic. A little more reserve for the peak is always good. I would have preferred the Nakamaichi for its higher power and pocket the £400. The Sony 700ES is not bad, but not in the same class as the Nakamaichi or Threshold. You can expect major improvement and not get bored.

I would also factor in the cost of a replacement of the power supply caps, rectifier, and terminal connections.

Back
Top Bottom