Thrift find 2235B with strange problem

Mico

I have seen very nice looking 2235B in local thrift for 40$ - but upon quick testing through headphones, it obviously has some serious issues. Regardless of the position on balance slider, both channels are always playing - in fact it seems like one channel playing in mono on both sides.
When I press Mono switch and with balance slider in the middle, there is no sound (?). Once I move it to extreme left or right both sides playing again, in mono. DC offset on left side was 5mV the right one is +500mV so something is obviously wrong there. I could not open it but the vinyl cover over one part of heat sink has peeled off and it looks like extensive heat. I would bite on it for this price, but symptoms are a bit weird and looks like someone was monkeying inside. What bothers me even more is that protection does not kick in with all that DC on the right channel. Any thoughts?

Id for sure grab it for 40 dollars, I got a 2235b for 20 bucks that was doing lots of random behavior and was falling on its face under any amount of volume put to it. A good cleaning a new caps in the power supply section got it stable again. Then I recapped the whole receiver. But for 40 bucks id even buy it if it was completely dead.

I'd buy it for $40 regardless. I wonder if you are going to find the lower dubbing jack crushed and shorted by a too long screw holding the foot on? If there is no foot...never mind.

Perhaps you could point out some of the questionable flaws related to condition, and get it for less. Around here anyways, if you show them that something doesn't work or work correctly, they will discount it just to be rid of it--I guess it would depend on the level of interest they are seeing.

The functional flaws would not scare me away at $40--even less so for less money. What would put me off is the evidence that it may have been previously "hacked" by someone else. It can be such a PITA to track down issues related to the hack-job prior to even getting down to the real issues.

The functional flaws would not scare me away at $40--even less so for less money. What would put me off is the evidence that it may have been previously "hacked" by someone else. It can be such a PITA to track down issues related to the hack-job prior to even getting down to the real issues.

That is exactly what holds me off. I hate parting any reasonably nice Marantz and this one looks very good. At the same time I do not have time to solve someone`s hack job and this smells like one. Have another thread here about Sony amp on which someone rewired speaker terminals to hide blown channel :crazy: .

40 bucks for a receiver that would easily sell for $350-400 is a no-brainer for me. Yes, there is some risk, but odds are it can be fixed.

40 bucks for a receiver that would easily sell for $350-400 is a no-brainer for me. Yes, there is some risk, but odds are it can be fixed.
At the end I bribed one of the employees and quickly lifted the top cover. Charred area on the amp PCB, about 1inch in diameter, burned tracks, and one badly damaged cap. Too bad, I think I will pass on it.
Regarding 350-400$ "easily" for 2235B, oh well, that popular site became really obscene.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Mico, post: 11639333, member: 96548"
Regarding 350-400$ "easily" for 2235B, of well, that popular site became really obscene.[/QUOTE]
We can agree on that. I just did a quick look at the bay, and someone has a 2235b with right channel not working listed for $750. :crazy:

Too bad, I think I will pass on it.

I'd have to say that I would have made the same call. Yes, $40 is a great price, but the prospect of having to put a couple hundred more (+ time) into it to get it back to spec, just to get maybe $300-400 back out of it is not appealing. It would be different if there weren't so many of them around, or it was something that I specifically wanted.

If you're up for just making a few bucks, you could buy it and just part it out--you'll get your $40 back and probably quite a bit more that way, but that can be kind of a PITA too.

Even if it ends up not being worth fixing, the feet, knobs and power cords are worth well over $40 alone. I have some leftover parts from a scrapped Marantz, and I've been slowly selling off the knobs for $20 each, as I service units for other people who are missing a knob, for example. I'd buy it, look into it, and gut it for parts if it ends up being prohibitively expensive to repair.

As for the resell price, this is just an observation, but prices seem to be lower in Montreal than here in Ottawa. I feel like I could get $350-400 pretty easily for a 2235B in nice condition. Maybe there's just more of that stuff floating around; I guess Montrealers had better taste in sound in the 1970s than folks here in Ottawa!

I have a 2215 that needs a dial pointer, so if it wasn't 2 hours away, I'd happily pay $40 for the unit for that alone.

Happy hunting!

Adam

I'

If you're up for just making a few bucks, you could buy it and just part it out--you'll get your $40 back and probably quite a bit more that way, but that can be kind of a PITA too.

Yes, I hate to butcher any decent vintage amp and are not willing to invest time and $ in this one. It seems that local sharks are circling around it, will probably show up on local ads
for XXX$ and " in need of minor adjustment due to age " - end quote. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom