Thrift store 400 find

RS Steve

Tube Junkie
Subscriber
I was contacted by my brother that lives near a Goodwill super store, he said they just had put out an old Fisher receiver yesterday while he was there. Once he told me the model and the price (25.00), I said grab it. He just dropped it off this morning, looks to have all original tubes and is very worthy of a restore. She looks like a tired old songbird, output tubes have no getter left on them.

20170115_075609.jpg 20170115_075652.jpg 20170115_075710.jpg 20170115_075918.jpg

Love the 400. Good luck with it; may it sing sweetly again. Would love to have a cabinet for mine eventually, but seeing 20 tubes glow is kinda neat.

I decided the first thing to do was clean the knobs, glass and face plate, and replaced the missing knob brite, the old girl is starting to look good already. Looks like it has been in this cabinet from day one, only the very back of the chassis is corroded and the rest just dirty with dust. I'll clean the chassis, deox all controls and tube sockets, test the tubes, then gradually power it up and see if it works.

20170115_113901.jpg 20170115_113910.jpg

I love the minimalist styling of the front of these receivers. From the 'art-deco-y', glow-in-the dark design of the glass front to the simple, functional arrangement of switches and knobs, these Fisher units are among the best looking of the era and one of the most timeless designs. It's great to see one cleaned up like this. Good luck with the restore.

Amazing that these sort of deals are still coming up, considering all the resources for valuation that are out there.
Seems like everyone checks ebay first, 'specially GW. Congrats!

Amazing that these sort of deals are still coming up, considering all the resources for valuation that are out there.
Seems like everyone checks ebay first, 'specially GW. Congrats!
Yeah, I haven't found anything in a Goodwill for a few years, and expected it to be a Fisher SS unit. When he told me it was a 400 I was shocked, I said grab it for me brother!

Dang... The Fishers that show up in my neck-o-the-woods, folks want Ebay restored price for them. Good on you. :bigok:

Power up was successful to the point that the dim bulb tester showed no shorts, and both channels produced output. Problem is it was a crackling in the right and hum in the left as their output. Looks like a typical rebuild should get it back in proper working order, hard to believe those output tubes still show good, although on the weak side.

Back
Top Bottom