Thrift store 400 find

Steve; Use a 1uf 400v film cap. Works just as well as an e'lytic, and you won't have to replace it in 20 years.

Nope. A Cornell Dublier DME is small enough to fit in the area without problem. Other's may be larger and harder to install.

I used a Nichicon QXK film cap in that spot. It's flat, radial, and is the same color brown as the C-D CME. No idea how it will perform...as I'm still working on my 400.

You can actually sub non-polar film caps for electrolytic caps anywhere you like. The problem comes down to cost and size. They cost more and want more space when you get into high value and high voltage.

The FM seems to be working good except for the right channel is much weaker in output when in FM stereo mode, and the dial is about 4 clicks off to the left. The right channel output is good and even with the left channel on all other sources, so it must be in the MPXer.

When you turn the tuner knob all the way to the left does the needle stop @ 0 on the log scale? If not(stopping to the left of 0) it probably needs to be reset. That's the simple part. If it's off on the stations still, then you need to have it aligned. You can do it yourself using the KM-60 instructions. It's fairly simple to do, and is fairly acurate. I've done it on my 400's like this and they turn out fine. The one I did for Doug (rogerfederer) last year needed the MPX aligned by Dave. After that it was sweet!

Any idea what would cause the left channel output to be less than the right on FM stereo only? Seems to be only on FM stereo MPX, not in the amp or preamp section.

Alignment in the MPX section, out of spec tubes, caps, resistors. Make sure the blue Variable trimmer on the top is centered. If it's set to one end or the other it'll either give you a mono type sound, or one channel will be fuzzy, and distorted. Roll V100-101-102, and make sure they are all 12ax7's, andke sure the replacements have balanced or close sections .

I was pretty determined to get this 400 functioning correctly since I already had three other Fisher receivers where I was stuck with problems with the FM. So with guidance from Larry, and Dave, this 400 has a great working tuner now, and everything except the phono section has been checked out and working correctly. Tomorrow I will hook a turntable to it and see if all is well there.This my friends, deserves a toast!
:beerchug:

20170125_173233.jpg

Back
Top Bottom