Thrift Store and Yard Sale Records.......

I got the best,Mint condition DSOTM from a thrift.I mean mint , there was a small label which indicated it was part of a retired judges collection which I later learned had passed away. Paid $2 for it
"it's like a box of chocolates"

the cost of recording a symphony orchestra or opera dwarfs the cost of Pop, Rock or any other genre — all for a "niche group". Do they ever recoup?

Ah, but classical music/symphonies/operas are considered to be part of the "fine arts" and are subsidized by grants, trusts and other supporting organizations. If the Stones begged for money to fund an upcoming tour or recording, we would all get a real laugh, but when the local symphony or opera begs for money, the donations roll in.

I've never bought an album at a thrift store. However, I bought 67 albums at a tag sale, and each one was in NM condition. I also spent $370 on a lot of 200 albums at an estate auction. Many were in EX condition, and included a full Black Sabbath collection and a GNR "Appetite" album with the banned cover and sticker.

I only wish I could find a thrift store with a nice selection, but it's not happening around here.

I would imagine the OPs sample pull on new records is very small.

This is true in part because of all the complaints I see online in places like Steve Hoffman's forum. The percentage of damaged discs I have personally bought and had to return is enough to make me wary. That's why if I do buy new I only buy from Amazon which has an easy return policy. Heck I went through four copies of the Mono Revolver and I still had to settle for one with an imperfection.

Several years ago I obtained a collection of 1300 Country LPs from the 1960s/70s. Over 300 were sealed. Of the 300 that were sealed I have opened about half of them. Only one was damaged. I seriously doubt 150 random new albums would produce only one clunker.

This is the way I see it and I'll generalize also, since no one said anything specific like...

This old record sounds better than...

R-4587451-1369201861-6749.jpeg.jpg

More Images

Black Sabbath ‎– Paranoid
Label:
Warner Bros. - Seven Arts Records ‎– WS-1887, Warner Bros. - Seven Arts Records ‎– 1887
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album
US
Released:
07 Jan 1971

This copy thats a new remaster

R-8019499-1509719177-5820.jpeg.jpg

More Images

Black Sabbath ‎– Paranoid
Label:
Warner Bros. Records ‎– R1 552927,Rhino Records (2) ‎– R1 552927,Warner Bros. Records ‎– 1887
Format:
2 × Vinyl, LP, Album, Deluxe Edition, Reissue, Remastered, 180 Gram
USA & Canada
Released:
22 Jan 2016

For one thing you would be wrong. But the point is lets generalize and bash all new records because I can't afford them anyway. You see no one can argue when we have no specifics.

Now if we look at this piece of junk that some people would buy because of the low price of $20 and normally they are only $18 they might be right.
https://www.amazon.com/Paranoid-Gra.../ref=tmm_vnl_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

That might be what some who only buy $1.00 used record would think was a lot of money. However it's about the cheapest new record prices one can find, but they would expect it to be perfect. Dammit that's my hard earned money and doesn't sound as good as my used copy.

Well had one taken the time to shop right, learn what's out there. If one has bought enough new records to learn who's doing good work. If one shops in local stores you can read the record. If one shops online I would not buy from a place like Amazon who doesn't give any specifics of the record your buying.

The problem with people complaining about new records is they are the ones that will cheap out and buy the title and price point. They don't care about getting the best record until they get a piece of crap so they can go online and complain about it.

The fact that you used a US pressing as the example rather than a UK Vertigo swirl exposes your motives here. Although I personally prefer the airiness of the Quad version from 1974.

For one thing you would be wrong. But the point is lets generalize and bash all new records because I can't afford them anyway. You see no one can argue when we have no specifics.

Now if we look at this piece of junk that some people would buy because of the low price of $20 and normally they are only $18 they might be right.
https://www.amazon.com/Paranoid-Gra.../ref=tmm_vnl_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

That might be what some who only buy $1.00 used record would think was a lot of money. However it's about the cheapest new record prices one can find, but they would expect it to be perfect. Dammit that's my hard earned money and doesn't sound as good as my used copy.

Well had one taken the time to shop right, learn what's out there. If one has bought enough new records to learn who's doing good work. If one shops in local stores you can read the record. If one shops online I would not buy from a place like Amazon who doesn't give any specifics of the record your buying.

The problem with people complaining about new records is they are the ones that will cheap out and buy the title and price point. They don't care about getting the best record until they get a piece of crap so they can go online and complain about it.

This post is chockablock with generalities. I really don't understand why this topic brings out the worst in some of us.

I have happily bought new vinyl, only to bring it home and find it unlistenable. WAY too many times. I have access to a couple of great record stores, and have paid up to $30 or so for a decent pressing, only to have to go thru the hassle of a return.

I do transfers for my hip cat friends. I get a copy, they get their records lovingly cleaned. MANY are warped, off center, or just poorly recorded. Genres of all kinds.

Why is my experience any less valid than any other experience?? Hey, I'd love to buy new. Save the headache of the cleaning ritual.

I don't expect a $1.00 find to be mint, also, I don't forgo buying new copies of albums I love because I'm cheap, rather DUE TO BEING BURNED COUNTLESS TIMES.

Let us all hear each other, and not be offended. There's just no need. After all, this is only a hobby. Peace, everyone.

Certainly I am not arguing the fact that the quality of titles to be found at thrift stores, flea markets, etc. has declined. It has. The point is this false notion that all records found in these places are in poor condition which is just BS. Even 20 years ago when pickins were better people still made this inaccurate statement.

I will state that my copy of Mastodon "Crack The Skye" turned my head around concerning my previous fear of heavy rock/metal on vinyl. Previous attempts in this format were discouraging.

I have also found in recent years some absolutely killer titles at fleas/thrifts which although few and far between keep me actively hitting these places. A nice pile of EX US mono Stones, NM Artisan X3 Exile, Hard Stuff - Bulletproof [UK $125 title for 50 cents/NM], Manilla Road - Metal [original US private issue/EX/$2], Sir Lord Baltimore Kingdom Come NM/$150 LP for $8, etc. Why just the other day I picked up some interesting late 70's Jazz album. Private NYC press, never heard of the guy or label but it looks interesting and it's NM/NM and it was $1. Way cooler than wasting $40 on a crap pressing of a mediocre mastering of 40 year old tapes pressed at a thickness the old machines were never designed to press at in the first place!

What it really boils down to is that some people have lousy digging skills and are jealous of those of us who do. If you're digging game is lame don't push the blame but improve your moves to find those grooves!

Of course if it's titles you seek CD is where it's at these days! Scored a nice black face Albert Aussie CD of AC/DC TNT today for $5!

The fact that you used a US pressing as the example rather than a UK Vertigo swirl exposes your motives here.
No I picked a common original for the US, out of the 300+ issues of this album. I'd put up any past issue against the deluxe reissue I posted. In fact if you like them why don't you try one of these issues of their studio albums.

My point is blatantly saying new issues are bad records is a fallacy. I also stated the type of buyer that thinks this way, notably don't know whats available or what they are buying.

Because as I stated

I would not buy from a place like Amazon who doesn't give any specifics of the record your buying.

That's why if I do buy new I only buy from Amazon which has an easy return policy.

I rest my case, you have to keep retuning them because your not trying to be and informed buyer of what your shopping for. Price and title is what your looking at and Amazon is selling junk records. You seem to know enough to look for and like a specific old issue, but your failing to do that for new records. There can be 6 new issues of this album out at any given time. However your shopping Amazon and don't care what they send you. Of course you going to have issues buying new records, and your not learning from the mistakes.

Last edited:
What it really boils down to is that some people have lousy digging skills and are jealous of those of us who do. If you're digging game is lame don't push the blame but improve your moves to find those grooves!
Seriously?

This and under is about what most used records cost in my record stores. However I'm not coming home with Sing Along With Mitch, Barbra Streisand and Tijuana Brass records. Not to mention I don't wast my time for hit and mis maybe there might be records there.

I fail to see the need for and reason for this thread which is a extreme generalization.

Thanks I was confused as to the point of the thread in my first post. We now know since you finally got some push back and then decided to return and post in your own thread. It's to glorify your cheapness.

I do find it funny though, the amount of time spent and gas money searching and searching for the cheap records and then say you got a $15 record for a buck. LMAO.

......are sometimes in perfectly fine condition. Brand new records are a crap shoot given the lousy QC in some pressing plants. Quite often these expensive new records suck. Plenty of testimony to this online.

Can we stop using "thrift store and yard sale records" as terminology to describe poor quality records?

It's just plain stupid.
Don't worry. Everyone on the internet is going to get in line and use the exact language you want them them to. :)

Back
Top Bottom