thrift store find: Fisher 500-T

I went to a thrift store today and low and behold starring at me was a Fisher 500-T for $5. I couldn't check if it worked due to a blown fuse but I figured $5 is too good to pass if it works.

I just replaced the fuse, and to say it works is an understatement. This thing is realy a monster. Has great sound, puts out a lot more at less than what my other receivers do. Best pics I can do for now of the happily adopted receiver:

3093517877_6063fc0e99.jpg

3094356970_967b24773e.jpg

you can double your money today . i`ll give you $10 for it and i`ll throw in the price of the fuse . whadda you think ?

Congratulations! That's a really nice receiver. I had the cabinet for one for a long time until one day I found one in an Antique store, without the cabinet. I actually didn't know my cabinet would fit it, but when I got it home it fit like a glove. Like Cinderella, sort of. It sounds really nice. Very warm with a pair of Dynaco A-25s. I can speak from experience that those pictures aren't doing it justice..it's a really nice looking receiver in person, and heavier than you'd expect by looking at it.

Enjoy yours, and happy listening.
john

you can double your money today . i`ll give you $10 for it and i`ll throw in the price of the fuse . whadda you think ?

I think I'm going to hold on to this one a while :music:

Good find! Hows she sound with vinyl? Bet its nice.

It's very nice with vinyl.

I can speak from experience that those pictures aren't doing it justice..it's a really nice looking receiver in person, and heavier than you'd expect by looking at it.

Enjoy yours, and happy listening.
john

Yes it was definitely heavier than I thought when I took it off the shelf. Took the time to get a better picture.

Link to higher res

Congrats on your nice find :yes:

Looks like your a wii person :scratch2:.... though I've never tried it :D

Lookin' sweet! I was so happy to find mine, because I'd just found a 700t that turned out to be dead-on-arrival after I got it home. I was going through first-gen Fisher solid state withdrawel when the 500t showed up.

Congrats on your nice find :yes:

Looks like your a wii person :scratch2:.... though I've never tried it :D

Eh, kind of, mainly just play enjoyable games and the Wii was the best option.

Lookin' sweet! I was so happy to find mine, because I'd just found a 700t that turned out to be dead-on-arrival after I got it home. I was going through first-gen Fisher solid state withdrawel when the 500t showed up.

It's extremely nice for a first-gen solid state.

I hate to double post, but I've been looking for the manual for it and I have not been able to find it anywhere. Any suggestions or ideas where I might find it?

Go to StereoManuals.com for a 500-T service manual. You'll get a complete manual - it has a lot of fold-outs and you'll need one of them to measure and adjust power amp center voltage and bias.

People have commented that the 500-T is built like a scientific instrument; it's very solid. In terms of sound, it's considered as a standout among early solid state receivers. You were very lucky to find one with all the brass caps on the knobs intact.

Great buy! Here you can see how it compares to Fisher's other offerings for 1967:
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb275/irwinbay/67RECEIVERSB.jpg

Thanks, I found that list rather interesting learned most of what I was looking for.

Beautiful piece..... and 90 watts from 1967 to boot!

It'll be even better once I clean it. When I opened it I had a heartattack from the dust and light oxydation

Go to StereoManuals.com for a 500-T service manual. You'll get a complete manual - it has a lot of fold-outs and you'll need one of them to measure and adjust power amp center voltage and bias.

People have commented that the 500-T is built like a scientific instrument; it's very solid. In terms of sound, it's considered as a standout among early solid state receivers. You were very lucky to find one with all the brass caps on the knobs intact.

Thanks for the link, I don't really think I want to buy the manual. But now I know where it is if I really need it. That was one of the things I noticed when I opened it up, the insides don't look like anything I've really seen in a receiver, as far as how it is all put together.

As for me, it's DeoxIT time.:banana:

Congrats! She looks great, and I bet she sounds good too! I like the older Fisher gear, it had class.

Congrats! She looks great, and I bet she sounds good too! I like the older Fisher gear, it had class.

It's not sounding as good as it should at the moment. I still have to deox the switches, and recap it. I don't know why the last part surprises me, since I am under the impression the it has been in a garage for a couple of years, at least. But given all that, she still sounds like a chorus of angels.

Back
Top Bottom