Thrift store find! Pioneer AS-700 and TX-700

Theron D

I posted this on the Steve Hoffman forum but thought I would post here as well.....

Neat thrift store find last week, Pioneer AS-700 Integrated Amp and Pioneer TX-700 tuner. Fairly sure the employees had just set them out. They powered up at the thrift store so I brought them both home. I currently don't have any speakers (all in storage for a move soon), so used the headphone jack. The right channel is a touch noisy, and also started working the pots back and forth to get them to wake up and smooth out (will Deoxit when I get the chance). The tuner is nice and clean too. No antenna hookup, but was able to get some AM stations. Couldn't get past 8/9 with Senn HD650 headphones, the headphone output is a moster. EQs are great too. Any input appreciated, will be a fun vintage project down the road.

Looking for any technical input, how they are regarded soundwise, restoration tips and maybe some thoughts on a speaker that would match well. (not sure of room size yet, the AS-700 is rated at 26W @ 8 ohms continuous power)..here are some pics...

33241035230_7d7763fb0e_b.jpg
33495185051_cbeb6267ba_b.jpg

33583616666_43b7a3b387_b.jpg

33624375155_c4f09a17ef_b.jpg
33624375235_cf04fa24f5_b.jpg

How loud do you need to listen? You can get loud with the 26 watts with many speakers but not very loud.

I'd guess you could look at all the threads for the hk330 series that ask about speakers. That ~20wpc unit is popular and the question has been answered a number of times.

What size speaker. Klipsch are very sensitive and even their largest will play excruciatingly loud with 26 watts. I run a pair of ADS 710 with an 330c.

How loud do you need to listen? You can get loud with the 26 watts with many speakers but not very loud.

I'd guess you could look at all the threads for the hk330 series that ask about speakers. That ~20wpc unit is popular and the question has been answered a number of times.

What size speaker. Klipsch are very sensitive and even their largest will play excruciatingly loud with 26 watts. I run a pair of ADS 710 with an 330c.
Thanks! I listen medium loud on ocassion (think Rage Against the Machine) but also listen quieter with jazz/classical. Ill check out the hk330 threads. Had some Klipsch heresy I, but did not care for. Thought they were a little too forward sounding imo

Back
Top Bottom