Throwback to Head-Fi ten years ago; aka I've always wanted a pair of these

RamblinE

(╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻
I have wanted to try the K501 for what seems like a long time. At least seven years. Basically since I got into this hobby. Some have described it as having the best, or at least the most accurate mid-range and timbre out there. Maybe not anymore since the headphone industry has really blown up, but having been the best at one time not so long ago is good enough for me.

20170630_122453.jpg

A good friend of mine was able to get these off of CL for me. They were listed in musical instruments for $40 and I was working all that weekend. That's compared to $200 on Head-Fi and $250-$280 on eBay.

I've slapped on some K701 pads and the AKG parts department comp'd more order for new rubber loops and K701 foam rings (to try some tuning).

This is a very exciting development. First impressions of these headphones are very positive.

Seems a wise purchase to me. Nice deal. Look good, too.
Thanks musichal.

The K701 pads alone have helped bring up the bass a little bit from the background without compromising the mid-range.

Listening to Getz/Gilberto last night was a really mesmorizing experience. It really sounded like the sax was in the room with me. It was rendered perfectly.

And this was through my LG V20, hanging out in the living room with my partner while she read and wrote in journal.

A few nights ago I was comparing vocals between the K501 and the K240DF. The DF was a little clearer but lacked the bass response and had a mostly 2-D soundstage compared to the K501. However where the K240DF needs a lot of voltage, the K501 just needs a great portable amp.

The K240DF and K501 are a duo that I'm really happy I bought. I won't get rid of my other AKGs but I could....

Since I bought the Hifiman HE-400i pair, I moved my AKG K240S to the guest bedroom system which uses a Nuforce headphone amp/preamp. I like them, too, even though they aren't the equal of the DF, by all accounts. They don't require a headphone amp, of course, but that's what I use there, and it don't hurt. It's hard to beat the comfort of circumaural AKGs.

Spellcheck disses the word circumaural, BTW.

Back
Top Bottom