Throwing out my tuners!

Quality is over the board IMO with XM. Some stations I listen to sound, at best, good. You can tell the streams are compressed a little. Other stations the compression is off the board and sounds like a very low bit-rate mp3. Since I got XM I spend a great deal of time listening to it, but mainly because of the variety available vs FM. Is the quality of the signal as good as FM? No. Is the quality of programming better? To me, yes.

Listening on the Springsteen channel the other day to the studio version of "Drive All Night," the artifacts were these big blocks of crap sitting on top of the song. Unlistenable, even as background.

'Real Jazz' is mostly just as bad. 'Symphony Hall,' OTH, sounds decent.

s.

Happily in Toronto we still have a couple of decent classical and jazz stations and less digital hash than seems to be happening south of the border. Hopefully it will not degrade much more over the next while as I'd hate to have to rethink my system at my age.

I've found a couple of local stations that cater to my varied musical interests: WAIF, a volunteer-run station that's very eclectic, and WNKU, which is very good and an NPR station.

I often listen to "Little Steven's Underground Garage" on SiriusXM, but the way he hawks the modern bands he supports is absolutely sickening. I swear I hear the Black Keys' "Stop Stop" once every two hours. Before that it was "Coming Back To Life" by the Contrast. It's a shame that a station that the guides advertise as playing "garage rock" plays very little of that nowadays. :(

I use a KT-8300 and I'm going or was going to put up an FM directional antenna on the roof with controls.
We have a lot of FM stations here in CT. to choose from that are of good quality signal and various music styles. Living at 1000 to 1100 ft elev reception here is excellent for me.
On another note ATT just put in a UVerse Box TV/Phone/Internet etc combo on the corner of my property and now every 1 meg HZ down the dial gets wiped out,pegs the needles, starts at one end and goes all the way to the other. example 102.5 103.5 104.5 etc. It's getting very annoying. I contacted them and they told me that can't be true. Now it's on to the tech support people. I use DirecTV and cable phone/internet. Streaming radio is so so poor quality.
I had XM radio, very good selection of stations but quailty of sound sucks. And it's too expensive.

Radio should be free.

My .02

John M

On another note ATT just put in a UVerse Box TV/Phone/Internet etc combo on the corner of my property and now every 1 meg HZ down the dial gets wiped out,pegs the needles, starts at one end and goes all the way to the other. example 102.5 103.5 104.5 etc. It's getting very annoying. I contacted them and they told me that can't be true. Now it's on to the tech support people. John M

Let them know that you are going to call the FCC. Then call the FCC and see if there is any reaction. If it is your property, you can order them to remove it or do you have no property rights at all?

I had XM radio, very good selection of stations but quailty of sound sucks. And it's too expensive.

Radio should be free.

Been thinking about a related point all day. When I started getting serious about audio five years ago, I made a bunch of distinctions in this area - there was 'radio,' which is free and over the air; there was 'radio by other means,' which was satellite and web radio as long as it was curated by human beings and not just the result of algorithms; there were 'music services,' not quite radio, like Pandora.

But sitting up last night, waiting for the live E Street Band concert to start, I realized I felt exactly the same way I did 20 years ago when Bruce & Co. did a live 4th of July broadcast from Sweden. Then, I had to find an f.m. station carrying it and record on cassette tape. Now, it's on satellite and if I want to record it I have to do some other stuff. But other than the technology, the experiences were the same - that great anticipation, and then the awe at hearing something far away.

This morning I listened to a podcast and had the same experience; it was the same exact sense of discovery I get listening to Science Friday on NPR.

So free or unfree, satellite, f.m., a.m., web, more and more it's all just *radio* to me, especially when so many of the old virtues of broadcast (being surprised by music or a political thought or a voice) can be found in satellite or web.

Yes, I know it's not 'radio' in the narrowest amplitude or frequency modulation sense - but in every other way, it is.

s.

Tell ATT to remove it as it is your properrty and interfering with your use and enjoyment. Hoefully, they are paying you a reasonable rent for the use of the property. I had a client who was a pager service and I was surprised at the range of rental costs he was paying for towers on properties. His salvation was he had the right to rent the tower space at no added rental revenue due to the property owner.

I had Sirus in a rental car a couple years ago, and the compression artifacts made it sound like crap. Like a poorly done 128K mp3.

At work I've been streaming a station from of all places Perth West Australia. "6IX". Pretty good oldies mix, and they play stuff not heard on American oldies stations. Sounds okay, but all I have on this computer is a mono 3 inch speaker. But hearing different music makes up for it.

I guess I'm the odd one out as I have it pretty good where I am near Winston-Salem. I get WQFS (1.9kW) from Guilford College in Greensboro (very good, volunteer DJs in 2 hour blocks), WVTF from Virginia Tech (the Roanoke transmitter at 89.1), WFDD from Wake Forest, WSNC (jazz at Winston Salem State), WSGE (gaston College, a decent blend and specialized shows), WFAE (NPR but carries Echoes Sunday Nights) and WDAV (classical out of Davidson College).

So, yeah, my tuners stay to left side of the dial most of the time, but there is an "independent" rock station out of Hickory too that plays some decent songs and doesn't repeat too much.

Different channels on Sirius/XM are run at different bit rates. The primarily "talk" stations are not even up to AM standards. The "music" stations are acceptable, just barely, but given the music available that I cannot get elsewhere, it has to do. When the talk stations decide to run music, as some do once in awhile, it sounds positively awful.

I had Sirus in a rental car a couple years ago, and the compression artifacts made it sound like crap. Like a poorly done 128K mp3.

At work I've been streaming a station from of all places Perth West Australia. "6IX". Pretty good oldies mix, and they play stuff not heard on American oldies stations. Sounds okay, but all I have on this computer is a mono 3 inch speaker. But hearing different music makes up for it.

How do you get a Ransey FM transmitter delivered to you in this country? They say on the website that they ship only outside the U.S. because the power is higher than the feds want you to have. I need someone in Cameroon, or something, lol, to take delivery of the thing and send it on to me.

FM- No Static At All LOL

How many last straws can I stand?

What good are my TU-X1 and KR-8300 if:

___Up to 10% of an analog station's signal is polluted with the 'new' digital carrier.

The only thing that I have found that fixes IBOC noise from HD Radio is narrower IF bandwidth. I went to narrower filters on my Mitsubishi and it helped a lot. DSP may be the answer, ironically enough. Let's hope it becomes more widely available before they stop making tuners.

FWIW, we have Sirius or some sort of satellite radio at work and even the Pop stations there play the same items over and over and over again. Eminem and the Black Eyed Peas 2-3 times in 6 hours :wtf: Plus apparently songs never die on satellite Country radio as I've been hearing some of them for months and months...

I guess they give the sheeple what they want....:rolleyes:

I had XM for two years when they started up. For a few weeks it was a reprieve from the horror of local AM and FM but then they canceled the 5 channels that accounted for 90% of my listening and replaced them with identical rap-crap clone channels and Canadian Bubble-Gum music (to get 15% Canadian content so they could market their crap in Canada, too.)

Took it out of the car, smashed it, and sent it to their corporate headquarters.

My two excellent FM receivers get maybe one hour of use per week, usually less. Radio is dead and that includes sat radio.

Here in Silicon Valley we are blessed with many good stations. KKUP, KCSM, and KDFC are my favorites but I can get Stanford, San Jose State, and UC Santa Cruz student stations too.

The wife loves KFOG which still does a great job on rock-n-roll of all vintages, including studio recordings and live broadcasts.

My neighbors must think I'm nuts because I have four antennae, including one J-pole I built myself.

If you listen to a station regularly, show them you care! Donate to the non-profits and write the commercial stations telling them how thankful you are to have discovered one of their advertisers. Money makes the world go around and keeps the signals coming - FM ain't free!

Our FM listening here in my town of Austin took a hit recently (at least at my house). The University of Texas which owns the formerly wonderful and eclectic KUT 90.5 bought another local station and moved the music format there (KUTX 98.9), keeping and expanding NPR news, etc at the 90.5 station. Unfortunately in moving, the specs on the music transmitter go from 100,000 watts located high on a hill just west of Austin (KUT) to 29,000 watts located on a significantly shorter tower farther away N of town (KUTX).

Reception at my house, which is a few of blocks N of the UT campus, has gone from stellar (KUT) to sub par (KUTX), with the music sounding lifeless and even "fuzzy" at times. I have written the station(s) and expressed my disappointment and from the tone of the reply, I get the feeling I'm far from the only one to contact them about the signal downgrade (for the music programing). They hinted that a taller tower may be in the works. I certainly hope so - I really miss their music programing but just cannot handle the transmission quality as is.

Ransey delivered to you

How do you get a Ransey FM transmitter delivered to you in this country? They say on the website that they ship only outside the U.S. because the power is higher than the feds want you to have. I need someone in Cameroon, or something, lol, to take delivery of the thing and send it on to me.

FM- No Static At All LOL

I am a Nigerian nobleman but my assets are locked up. Send me $5,000 in Nigeria and I will send you a Ransey FM transmitter.

April Fool!

Here in Silicon Valley we are blessed with many good stations. KKUP, KCSM, and KDFC are my favorites but I can get Stanford, San Jose State, and UC Santa Cruz student stations too.

The wife loves KFOG which still does a great job on rock-n-roll of all vintages, including studio recordings and live broadcasts...

Right on! Check out KSCU - Santa Clara University's Radio Station at 103.3. They play quite an eclectic flavor of music. Indie, pop, punk, electronic, hip-hop, house, blues, jazz, reggae, etc.

The best station I've found here is one that doesn't exist. I hooked up an outdoor antenna this winter and I picked up something at 104.3 where nothing is supposed to be. It's been playing 24-7 now for a couple months with no station id, commercial or a sappy dj's mouth to be heard yet. The variety is incredible. Yesterday it went from Sinatra, next song was Motley Crue and next song was Elvis.

Our FM listening here in my town of Austin took a hit recently (at least at my house). The University of Texas which owns the formerly wonderful and eclectic KUT 90.5 bought another local station and moved the music format there (KUTX 98.9), keeping and expanding NPR news, etc at the 90.5 station. Unfortunately in moving, the specs on the music transmitter go from 100,000 watts located high on a hill just west of Austin (KUT) to 29,000 watts located on a significantly shorter tower farther away N of town (KUTX).

Reception at my house, which is a few of blocks N of the UT campus, has gone from stellar (KUT) to sub par (KUTX), with the music sounding lifeless and even "fuzzy" at times. I have written the station(s) and expressed my disappointment and from the tone of the reply, I get the feeling I'm far from the only one to contact them about the signal downgrade (for the music programing). They hinted that a taller tower may be in the works. I certainly hope so - I really miss their music programing but just cannot handle the transmission quality as is.

KUTX does broadcast on KUT's HD2 band... if you can find an HD tuner.

KUTX's FIRST FUND DRIVE kicks of this week. Call them and say "No thanks."

Back
Top Bottom