Thunder Over Michigan ~ The Blue Angels are in town

Discussion in 'Cameras and Photography' started by olson_jr, Sep 4, 2017.

1. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

I always suffer a moment of panic, thinking 'Oh my gosh, what the hell is going on?' when I first hear the thunder of the F/A-18 Hornet's above the treetops in our neighborhood.

We are 10 miles from Willow Run Airport, but are on the flight path of the Blue Angels when they are practicing for the Thunder Over Michigan Air Show.

The sound of these jets is reminiscent of the circus calliope, in that they are announcing to everyone within earshot that the Blue Angels are in town.

We found a place where we can go watch, have a relatively good view, and yet not be in the thick of things.

Got these shots with a Nikon D60 fully automatic camera.

2. sfox52

sfox52 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Great pics!

olson_jr likes this.
  3. Yamaki

Yamaki Not For Hire Subscriber

I love their show. My house is right in the pattern they fly so I get to see 'em for free every other year, right from the comfort of my own patio.

Enjoy the show!

olson_jr likes this.
  4. Old Ears too

Old Ears too Active Member

Wow, being that close you must have gotten and earful of them!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Great pics!

5. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yep, there is a reason they call it "Thunder Over Michigan!"

6. I LIKE MUSIC

I LIKE MUSIC Super Member

Thanks for the pictures.

olson_jr likes this.
  7. Wildcat

Wildcat "Road Song" (Pete Turner, R.I.P.) Subscriber

@olson_jr We used to live two blocks from the intersection of Canton Center and Palmer, and we had quite a few low-altitude fly-by practice runs during a garage sale on a Friday. I didn't know what they were at first, but then remembered the Blue Angels were in town. That was probably 2005, 06 or 07. I also used to see some of the old warplanes fly over the house every so often, but nothing was like seeing the formations fly near us like that. As the old saying went, they seemed close enough to "see the whites of their eyes." ;)

Nowadays I'm closer to Selfridge, and I have seen some rather interesting aircraft flying overhead for the past few weeks. (With the world situation being what it is, I have noticed more military traffic in recent months.) The air show was back in August, which was Selfridge's 100th anniversary.

Cool pics! :thumbsup:

8. saunadog

saunadog Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the pictures!

Every year when the Blue Angels come to Willow Run, I usually park myself at the softball fields of the Canton Sports Center (Michigan Ave. near Belleville Road). I was there this year again. Ample parking, plus public bathrooms. That spot is usually good for a few close fly-overs, but I may have to spot out another location.

Wildcat likes this.
  9. Wildcat

Wildcat "Road Song" (Pete Turner, R.I.P.) Subscriber

One year, we parked somewhere along Ecorse Rd. for about 45 minutes and caught quite a bit of the show. That was the closest, though. I suppose one of these years we'll just pay the admission and go into Willow Run.