THX certification.! Does it say something ??

DVjorge

Hi all,

Since this community is so passionate about sound quality, I am bringing this question. Is really a THX certification something to consider when we value an equipment or is it an scam ??

I have read THX certification is a rigorous process where the equipment has to pass many sound and video tests. So, if we own a THX certified audio/video equipment, does it prove it is top quality ??

I am wishing to know your opinions.

Thanks.!

In many cases it means that the gear has passed some minimum standards and or has certain features. It does not mean gear without the mark cannot or does not meet or exceed some or all of the criteria.

To give a better answer, knowing the specific item(s) in question might yield a more definitive answer (or at least better speculations, LOL).

In many cases it means that the gear has passed some minimum standards and or has certain features. It does not mean gear without the mark cannot or does not meet or exceed some or all of the criteria.

To give a better answer, knowing the specific item(s) in question might yield a more definitive answer (or at least better speculations, LOL).
That isn't what they say. THX says they run more than 400 tests and many gear fail to pass.!

That isn't what they say. THX says they run more than 400 tests and many gear fail to pass.!

I'm sure there is much gear that does not pass/does not have the necessary features. But, that still does not mean that gear without the mark could not pass. You have to pay to bear the mark. Some choose not to have the specific features or simply choose not to pay for the mark.

A lot of companies run many tests, where are you getting the info from? Can you provide a link? You have sparked my interest. :)

As stated above some gear is not marked THX but can and will have sonic qualities better than gear that is THX.

Good Thread!

Kind Regards,
John

I believe manufactures of gear have to pay to get their gear tested by THX in order to be able to stamp the logo on there.
I think it would be part bragging rights, part advertising to get the testing done. If you are between two different amps then that THX logo might put you over the edge.

EDIT: Beaten many times in just a few minutes, ha.

A simple, but specific point regarding a THX certified amplifier is that it has 29dB gain. Regardless if every other criteria is met and regardless that differences in gain and sensitivity can be accomodated by level calibrations, if the amplifier is not designed with 29dB gain (or has a specific setting point indicated for 29dB gain in the case of adjustable level) it cannot be THX certified.

I'm sure there is much gear that does not pass/does not have the necessary features. But, that still does not mean that gear without the mark could not pass. You have to pay to bear the mark. Some choose not to have the specific features or simply choose not to pay for the mark.
I agree with you.! Not having the mark doesn't mean it could not pass. But, my question was more toward to the meaning of having it. For instance, if you have a THX certified gear, this is giving you evidence this equipment is without doubt top quality, or is it possible to have the mark and still be mediocre ??

I think as I eluded to earlier, as is the case with most standards, generally, they are not indicators of maximum quality but rather meeting at least some minimal level of quality.

That said, I think it does mean you are getting stuff with some assurance it will play well together with other THX gear and have good performance.

^^^Beaten again.

I don't have any HT gear in my house at all but from reading the page you linked it sounds like if it's THX certified it will probably sound good for movies and likely play nice with other gear in your setup so the stamp does serve some purpose.

Yea.... I call BS while they run many tests that means what? I'm sure the company itself is good, but I've seen some speakers with the THX stamp that were not that great...

I wonder how many top end audio companies use it.. BW, Quad, Mac?

They may be... I could be clueless, but I'll keep my gear non THX. I think it's probably good, but if building a hi-fi system it would not be a must for me..

Thank you for the link. :)

Kind Regards,
John

FWIW...

Metrics Tested on THX Amplifiers:
Reference Output Voltage
Voltage Gain
Output Current
Output Source Impedance
Overload Restoring Time
Stability with Capacitive Load
Harmonic Distortion and Noise
Modulation Distortion
Difference-Frequency Distortion
Noise Output Voltage
Phase Response
D.C. Offset at the Output
Hum
Crosstalk
Acoustic Noise Level
Mechanical Noise
Input Sensitivity
Input Impedance
Output Impedance
Load Impedance Range
Voltage Output Capability
Current Output Capability
Transient Output Capability
Transient Overload Recovery Time
Asymmetrical Clipping
Frequency Response
Phase Response
Phase Margin
Time
Total Harmonic Distortion
Intermodulation Distortions
SMPTE IM Distortion
IHF IM Distortion
DIM 30 Distortion
Noise
Hum
Radiated Interference
Conducted Interference
Crosstalk

Does this mean that any given THX-certified amp is better than one that isn't? Absolutely not.

Does it mean a THX-certified amp works pretty good? Probably.

Yea.... I call BS while they run many tests that means what? I'm sure the company itself is good, but I've seen some speakers with the THX stamp that were not that great...

I wonder how many top end audio companies use it.. BW, Quad, Mac?

They may be... I could be clueless, but I'll keep my gear non THX. I think it's probably good, but if building a hi-fi system it would not be a must for me..

Thank you for the link. :)

Kind Regards,
John
No doubt there are many non THX audio gear better or equal than those that has the mark. I only wanted to know if the mark is a plus.

No doubt there are many non THX audio gear better or equal than those that has the mark. I only wanted to know if the mark is a plus.

It can't hurt it. :) I would not look to it as any kind of standard tho, unless you were building a HT maybe.

Also keep in mind what ones idea of quality is, may be subjective.

Are you looking at any particular gear?

Kind Regards,
John

It can't hurt it. :) I would not look to it as any kind of standard tho, unless you were building a HT maybe.

Also keep in mind what ones idea of quality is, may be subjective.

Are you looking at any particular gear?

Kind Regards,
John

Back
Top Bottom