1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Tick problem getting' more serious!

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by Quadman2, May 29, 2017.

1. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Man, the ticks are out this year. Because of the wet/cool weather we've been having?

Reading more and more bout people/animals running into this lyme disease carrying insect that isn't much bigger than a head of a pin, until they bloat up with blood.

Have already pick three off the dog, and we don't go into heavy bush/long grass areas. Even felt on and my head, but was able to get it our before it dug in! I believe they weren't of the dangerous type, but wifey was so freaked out with the one on my head, she flushed it before I could ID the little sucker.

Anyone else encounter this little lethal critter this year?

Q

2. 55Redneck

55Redneck Canadian Redneck

Yup, about two weeks ago while getting ready for bed I found one embedded in my leg (left calf) so I got out the tweezers and dug it out. That was not pleasant. ;). Never had one or seen one before that day. I'm very careful now

3. bowtie427ss

bowtie427ss arigato gozaimashita Subscriber

Next time, put a little vicks vapo-rub on it. It'll let go and back out all on it's own pretty quickly. Here in the Northeast they are a way of life we're still adjusting to. Where we used to encounter individual ticks occasionally, it's not unusual to encounter them by the dozens now.

It's the Black Legged Tick that carries Lyme, usually picking it up from infected Deer Mice hence the slang name "Deer Tick".

They thrive in cooler, fairly miserable weather which enhances the contrast of their mostly IR vision. IOW, when it's easy for them to see you against the background surfaces and conditions. Here in my neck of the woods it's not unusual to find them on the surface of the melting snow in the spring.

Watch your bite areas for any signs of infection or rash, particularly a "bullseye" looking rash. When you know you've been bitten, learn and watch for any early onset Lyme symptoms. Lyme is new to the medical world in many areas and many cases still go un-detected, and this can have serious long term health implications.

If you've been bit and are the least bit suspicious of Lyme, get to your Dr and get tested.

FWIW, Lyme isn't the only disease the little parasites carry. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever doesn't sound like it'd be any more fun than Lyme.

4. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

I didn't really think or know much about ticks until I was bitten by one about 12 years ago while up along a deer trail in the foothills of sunny Southern California.
    There's wasn't much info about tick bites back then except that if the ticks were removed within 36 hours and you didn't develop flu-like symptoms you were in the clear so I thought I was in the clear even with the erythema migrans on my inner thigh. Wrong!
    A bullseye rash could develop however back then the rash was not considered the only non clinical diagnosis of Lyme Disease, as it is today.

5. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

Nasty little F*****s .

6. bowtie427ss

bowtie427ss arigato gozaimashita Subscriber

7. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Actually it is because we had a very warm winter. If you think ticks will be bad, just wait the mosquitoes will be even worse.

8. mkane

mkane AK Subscriber Subscriber

DSC_0007.JPG Daily routine here. Check for ticks.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  9. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

Cat came in the other day (he has a collar).
    Hung on my lap for a few minutes. Left a dog tick crawling on me.
    Quickly removed and burned.
    Jersey is notorious tick country. Monmouth county at least was, the Lyme capital of the NE
    So many deer by me , no surprise so many ticks. You do need to be vigilant but it wouldn't keep me inside

10. avionic

avionic " Black Knights" Subscriber

Need some yard birds.. Chickens will eat the ticks.

11. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

[​IMG]

Very slight chance up here in Michigan. Looks like the northeast gets to have all the fun ...

12. mkane

mkane AK Subscriber Subscriber

And the coons and foxes will eat the chickens.

avionic likes this.
  13. sKiZo

... and the cougars and bobcats will eat the coons and foxes ... ;-}

If you're really interested, check out the CDC tables. More important would be the second one, which lists incidence per 100K population. Seems to be much adieu about nothing for most of us.

https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/tables.html

tcdriver and avionic like this.
  14. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

tubed likes this.
  15. avionic

Then lyme disease with kill'm all.

16. avionic

The last time I went out looking for morel shrooms. I brought back more ticks than mushrooms.:biggrin:

17. WillVT

WillVT Well-Known Member

I just read somewhere that it's really bad to put anything on them that irritates them. It caused them to basically regurgitate, making it much more likely to spread any disease they might be carrying. It's best to just grab them with tweezers and quickly pull them out.

I've found two on our cat so far. We used a fine toothed metal flea comb, which worked quite well.

18. sKiZo

So, I'm hearing that cats are the primary disease vector ... ;-}

[​IMG]

kjello, DrumminDaddy, IPADave and 2 others like this.
  19. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Wifey picked up a little green plastic tick remover at the local pet shop. Thing kinda levers them out pronto. But ya still gotta check to see that you don't leave the head in the skin.

Got a spray now as well now that I hit the dog with that she made up.

Q

20. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

The CDC numbers are horseshit and most doctors are uneducated.
    I told my doctors about the EM rash I had and still won't test even though all my symptoms are indicative of Lyme.
    Fuck em.

Quadman2 likes this.