Tick problem getting' more serious!

My youngest daughter was mis-diagnosed for nearly 15-years until a teacher at her school recommended Lyme testing. She had previously been diagnosed with odd pneumonia and treated with antibiotics. But when entering high-school she started having speech problems, memory problems, and bad joint pain and missing a lot of school, all her pediatricians would do is tell us is was school-aversion behavior and the schools sent us to court and to a shrink. A private-school teacher correctly diagnosed her within two weeks and we've been treating her over-a-decade of untreated infection for nearly eight years now with some success. She is now being treated by a Lyme-Literate doctor and recovering slowly. My own GP now prescribes doxycycline whenever I tell her I've been bitten by a tick. If I treat it within two days she'll give me a massive one-shot dose. 30-days or more if I didn't catch it quickly enough and experience flue-like symptoms. She doesn't mess around. If I pull a tick off, she'll write the scrip without a blood test. Earlier this year she had 5 positive tests for Lyme from patients who don't even remember being bitten by a tick. She trusts me and knows my experience with my daughter.

Don't wait for the "bulls-eye" rash. Most never have one, including my daughter. I wish I wasn't so knowledgeable about this nasty disease. My wife is an even better advocate for proper treatment. Many doctors and many schools just don't understand it, or refuse to acknowledge that Chronic Lyme exists. Our state is notorious for under-reporting Lyme. So is the US government health agency. One day we'll beat this, but not before many, many other will have to suffer as a result of misinformation and ignorant care-givers. Don't mess around with this stuff. Take the Doxy! Teenage girls take it for years for their complexions without issue. Just do it!

My youngest daughter was mis-diagnosed for nearly 15-years until a teacher at her school recommended Lyme testing. She had previously been diagnosed with odd pneumonia and treated with antibiotics. But when entering high-school she started having speech problems, memory problems, and bad joint pain and missing a lot of school, all her pediatricians would do is tell us is was school-aversion behavior and the schools sent us to court and to a shrink. A private-school teacher correctly diagnosed her within two weeks and we've been treating her over-a-decade of untreated infection for nearly eight years now with some success. She is now being treated by a Lyme-Literate doctor and recovering slowly. My own GP now prescribes doxycycline whenever I tell her I've been bitten by a tick. If I treat it within two days she'll give me a massive one-shot dose. 30-days or more if I didn't catch it quickly enough and experience flue-like symptoms. She doesn't mess around. If I pull a tick off, she'll write the scrip without a blood test. Earlier this year she had 5 positive tests for Lyme from patients who don't even remember being bitten by a tick. She trusts me and knows my experience with my daughter.

Don't wait for the "bulls-eye" rash. Most never have one, including my daughter. I wish I wasn't so knowledgeable about this nasty disease. My wife is an even better advocate for proper treatment. Many doctors and many schools just don't understand it, or refuse to acknowledge that Chronic Lyme exists. Our state is notorious for under-reporting Lyme. So is the US government health agency. One day we'll beat this, but not before many, many other will have to suffer as a result of misinformation and ignorant care-givers. Don't mess around with this stuff. Take the Doxy! Teenage girls take it for years for their complexions without issue. Just do it!
Ya, what he said ! good luck to your family.

I've had more tic bites than I care to remember from working in the Hill Country woods west of Austin. Supposedly, the types of tics we have here do not carry Lyme disease but I've heard of folks around here coming down with mysterious, unexplained symptoms following tic bites. I've always wondered whether my struggles with chronic fatigue a couple of decades ago were caused, or complicated by a tic bite.

I feel for you folks that are having to deal with Lyme disease. I hope you and yours find some relief soon. The medical profession and our government really need to pay more attention to this problem.

Here's a link to an interesting article about Kris Kristofferson. He's also dealing with Lyme disease:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/kris-kristofferson-an-outlaw-at-80-20160606

By the way, if you can find some powered sulfur and use it to dust your pants, shoes and socks, it will go a long way in keeping those nasty pests off. Just be sure to keep it out of your eyes as it REALLY burns.

Last edited:
The little assholes are working their way north too. Used to not have to worry about ticks here but not anymore. Moose ticks have now invaded Alaska it appears and is deadly to them. What is next? Snakes?

lyme-epidemic.jpg

Some researchers believe Lyme is the next big time epidemic.
It has been suggested that "new age" diseases of unknown origins such as Parkinsons, MS and Lupus could actually be symptoms of the Lyme bacteria.

The little assholes are working their way north too. Used to not have to worry about ticks here but not anymore. Moose ticks have now invaded Alaska it appears and is deadly to them. What is next? Snakes?
Birds, mosquitos, rats....

Wait until the gators come!

Need some yard birds.. Chickens will eat the ticks.
Very true. I have chickens, and the number of ticks is way down. The down side is they crap on my driveway all the time. Its easier to deal with than lyme is though. They also produce a lot of eggs, basically one a day per chicken.

Not much worry of critters getting the chickens if you put them in a decently constructed pen overnight. If its not made well enough, you'll find out fairly quick.

The CDC numbers are horseshit and most doctors are uneducated.
I told my doctors about the EM rash I had and still won't test even though all my symptoms are indicative of Lyme.
**** em.

So? What are ya gonna do for a follow up? If "Lyme"....you gotta take action, like right now!

Q

So? What are ya gonna do for a follow up? If "Lyme"....you gotta take action, like right now!

Q

The only proof I have, which was the EM bullseye rash, is undocumented and long disappeared.
I didn't realize I might be infected until a few years later when I saw a PBS documentary and had my doctor do a generic test that came up negative.
Things aren't going well so I'm going to have IgenX up in Palo Alto perform a rigorous test.
If I wait a couple months Medicare will pay the steep fee. I've read tons of info regarding the disease and treatment and most of it is $out of pocket$ antibiotics and/or alternatives.

Ugh, I just spent a couple of weeks clearing the hillside brush and trees behind my home. Lyme is another nasty disease us mortals have to deal with. I did have shingles earlier this year and am still dealing with some nerve issues.

Ugh, I just spent a couple of weeks clearing the hillside brush and trees behind my home. Lyme is another nasty disease us mortals have to deal with. I did have shingles earlier this year and am still dealing with some nerve issues.
Shingles can be bad news.
My cuz was stricken in the face and almost lost his left eyeball.

Shingles can be bad news.
My cuz was stricken in the face and almost lost his left eyeball.

Luckily, mine got me on the torso so the scars are under the shirt. It was six weeks of sleepless nights but I kept thinking it's OK because this is something I will survive. I later found out there was a shot for this...

Luckily, mine got me on the torso so the scars are under the shirt. It was six weeks of sleepless nights but I kept thinking it's OK because this is something I will survive. I later found out there was a shot for this...
Little microscopic virus bastards.

Back
Top Bottom