1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Tick problem getting' more serious!

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by Quadman2, May 29, 2017.

1. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

[​IMG]
    I guess I will have to start wearing this .

tubed likes this.
  2. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

"Clean fresh scent"
    I hadn't seen one tick ever before I got bitten and haven't seen one since.

zebra03 likes this.
  3. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

4. gadget73

gadget73 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Our dogs actually get a monthly pill that repels ticks. Don't know what it is but it seems to work better than the monthly drop of stuff on their neck did.

5. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

I find it strange that our pets have a chem deterrent, but we have none.

Q

zebra03 likes this.
  6. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

Maybe the chemicals kill you in 20 years. Not much of an issue in a dog or a cat but......:idea:

7. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

Oft overlooked is the shingles shot, and it can save you a lot of grief. I got mine ... unfortunately after a "mild" attack that about drove me nutz! Anyone who ever had chicken pox is a target, as that virus sleeps over time and mutates ...

That was several years ago, and the shot they were giving then was around 60% effective. The latest and greatest is better than 90%, so even if you've had the shot, double check that you had the RIGHT one.

PS ... my insurance covered mine, and I got it at the local big box drug store. A few minutes of my time is all.

** On the flea collars - not recommended for direct skin contact, but I've heard of folk using them to tie their pant legs when wandering off trail. Might be worth trying if the deet and garlic aren't your thang. Also supposed to be a good thing to put one in the vacuum cleaner as that will KO any of the lil beggars that get sucked into the bag and atomize a bit during use.

8. NH-MAN

NH-MAN AK Subscriber Subscriber

Funny you mention something like this as I was discussing the Lyme shots they give animals. What I was told is years ago they had one for people but a bunch of people got severe Rhumatoid Arthritis from it and sued the company so they do not use it anymore. I heard a new drug is maybe coming out ( I believe just preventative) next year possibly. I will ask my Lyme doc when I see him in a week or so if he has heard of it.

9. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Can't believe the info gathered to date with the numerous shares. Great!

Just met a chap today who has been bit not once, but twice by this Lyme carrying insect. His tale was both interesting and scary at the same time.

I think I've talked him into coming on as a new member and he'll share his intimate contact (pun no intended) with this ongoing insect event.

In my part of the world the health officials ARE taking this infection quite seriously as the weather has been conducive to the reproduction of these critters this Spring.

Q

10. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

Lyme is a real deal disease or it's not.
    The CDC says it is but actually downplays the degree to which the populace is infected, contrary to the hundreds of thousands that are being treated for its symptoms.
    Hoax or pandemic?
    [​IMG]

11. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Just heard this morning a rather detailed report coming from the provincial gov't giving information about the ticks, related symptoms and the need to seek immediate attention if infected.

Q

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  12. avionic

avionic " Black Knights" Subscriber

13. dosmalo

dosmalo T-Totaled Subscriber

EWWW!!!

avionic likes this.
  14. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

There are ticks in So Cal. I remember seeing them on the family pets in my youth.

15. avionic

Even rattle snakes are not immune.
    [​IMG]

16. avionic

As kids we frequently went to my uncles place in the Arkansas boonies. He had a couple beagles.They always had those monster bloated gigantic ticks in there ears.That area was infested.Those little SOB´s would get every where. And I mean every where.:yikes:

17. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

Went to the Doc today for Doxycycline. Pulled a tick off my thigh nearly a week ago and didn't really think it was on long enough to cause a problem. She said at this point a blood-test would be useless and prescribed two-weeks of doxy two-times each day. Figured it was better to be safe than sorry. My symptoms were a very intense head-ache and pain in my hips and gluteus maximus.

My wife just joked that we should take that dose four-times each summer just as a prophylactic. The Doc offered that in most of the cases she'd seen this year that scored positive in the blood test, the patient didn't even remember getting bitten by a tick!

18. John James

John James "Bob's your uncle" (Stolen) Subscriber

That is a horror show! :eek: :biggrin:

DrumminDaddy likes this.
  19. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Not to alarm...but the neighbour said daughter cut through a wooded area separating two subdivisions and managed to pick up 18 of the little suckers (pun intended). Guess it's a good year for them here.

Q

20. www.records

www.records Quality over Quantity

I live where there are lots of ticks. I treat my yard 2-3 times a summer to kill ticks, fleas, ants, etc. I don't really know how active Lyme is around here, but I am sure it's no different than other areas. I just hate the little suckers.