Tick problem getting' more serious!

Our dogs actually get a monthly pill that repels ticks. Don't know what it is but it seems to work better than the monthly drop of stuff on their neck did.

Oft overlooked is the shingles shot, and it can save you a lot of grief. I got mine ... unfortunately after a "mild" attack that about drove me nutz! Anyone who ever had chicken pox is a target, as that virus sleeps over time and mutates ...

That was several years ago, and the shot they were giving then was around 60% effective. The latest and greatest is better than 90%, so even if you've had the shot, double check that you had the RIGHT one.

PS ... my insurance covered mine, and I got it at the local big box drug store. A few minutes of my time is all.

** On the flea collars - not recommended for direct skin contact, but I've heard of folk using them to tie their pant legs when wandering off trail. Might be worth trying if the deet and garlic aren't your thang. Also supposed to be a good thing to put one in the vacuum cleaner as that will KO any of the lil beggars that get sucked into the bag and atomize a bit during use.

I find it strange that our pets have a chem deterrent, but we have none.

Q
Funny you mention something like this as I was discussing the Lyme shots they give animals. What I was told is years ago they had one for people but a bunch of people got severe Rhumatoid Arthritis from it and sued the company so they do not use it anymore. I heard a new drug is maybe coming out ( I believe just preventative) next year possibly. I will ask my Lyme doc when I see him in a week or so if he has heard of it.

Can't believe the info gathered to date with the numerous shares. Great!

Just met a chap today who has been bit not once, but twice by this Lyme carrying insect. His tale was both interesting and scary at the same time.

I think I've talked him into coming on as a new member and he'll share his intimate contact (pun no intended) with this ongoing insect event.

In my part of the world the health officials ARE taking this infection quite seriously as the weather has been conducive to the reproduction of these critters this Spring.

Q

Lyme is a real deal disease or it's not.
The CDC says it is but actually downplays the degree to which the populace is infected, contrary to the hundreds of thousands that are being treated for its symptoms.
Hoax or pandemic?
Lyme6.jpg

Just heard this morning a rather detailed report coming from the provincial gov't giving information about the ticks, related symptoms and the need to seek immediate attention if infected.

Q

Last edited:
There are ticks in So Cal. I remember seeing them on the family pets in my youth.
As kids we frequently went to my uncles place in the Arkansas boonies. He had a couple beagles.They always had those monster bloated gigantic ticks in there ears.That area was infested.Those little SOB´s would get every where. And I mean every where.:yikes:

Just heard this morning a rather detailed report coming form the provincial gov't giving information about the ticks, related symptoms and the need to seek immediate attention if infected.
Went to the Doc today for Doxycycline. Pulled a tick off my thigh nearly a week ago and didn't really think it was on long enough to cause a problem. She said at this point a blood-test would be useless and prescribed two-weeks of doxy two-times each day. Figured it was better to be safe than sorry. My symptoms were a very intense head-ache and pain in my hips and gluteus maximus.

My wife just joked that we should take that dose four-times each summer just as a prophylactic. The Doc offered that in most of the cases she'd seen this year that scored positive in the blood test, the patient didn't even remember getting bitten by a tick!

Not to alarm...but the neighbour said daughter cut through a wooded area separating two subdivisions and managed to pick up 18 of the little suckers (pun intended). Guess it's a good year for them here.

Q

I live where there are lots of ticks. I treat my yard 2-3 times a summer to kill ticks, fleas, ants, etc. I don't really know how active Lyme is around here, but I am sure it's no different than other areas. I just hate the little suckers.

Lyme Disease activists are vying for more awareness on the part of the AMA which really seems to play dumb about it's existence.
There are huge amounts of money at stake, all of which the cancer, diabetes, Parkinson's, MS etc organizations have a stake in.
The competition for the cash is under fierce competition and there's hardly any room for another disease.
Is this just another go for the gold(big money) or is it a real deal disease just rearing its head or is it the cause and reason behind many of these big money diseases as some purport?

Is this just another go for the gold(big money) or is it a real deal disease just rearing its head or is it the cause and reason behind many of these big money diseases as some purport?
Everyone knows someone who has been touched by cancer. What they don't realize is they probably also know someone who has Lyme and doesn't even know it their self. The symptoms and consequences of the various tick-borne diseases are not well-known, are incredibly under-reported, and can encompass a wide range of mis-diagnosis. Those who don't know about Lyme don't realize how serious the complications are and how many co-infections can accompany vector-borne diseases. I no longer wait for lab tests to diagnose Lyme from a tick bite. Instead I take a prophylactic dose of doxycycline and therefor I am among the undocumented people being treated for a disease the CDC thinks is not as pervasive as it actually is, and is easily cured when in fact the long-term consequences of mis-diagnosis or no diagnosis can be completely debilitating.

Back
Top Bottom