TIDAL Free Three Month Trial

Discussion in 'Streaming Services' started by olson_jr, Sep 10, 2016.

1. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Saw this on another site and thought I would share it.

Tidal offers three months (90 days) HiFi/lossless streaming subscription for free if you sign up using the Sennheiser promotion. Download the Sennheiser CapTune app and sign up through the app. I've only tried through the iOS app myself but should work on Android as well. I found out about it when buying a pair of Sennheiser headphones but no need to own a Sennheiser product to use the promotion.

If you join, you can cancel immediately and still get the remaining 3 months for free.
    Go to SETTINGS > ACCOUNT > MANAGE SUBSCRIPTION > UPDATE YOUR SUBSCRIPTION

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

I had a similar three-month trial through my Oppo 105, when they added the app to the player.

3. Aspen

Aspen Active Member

I signed up for this. Has anyone figured out how to change the bitrate settings in the Captune/Tidal app? I don't see one there and would like to downgrade the bitrate when off wifi.

4. olson_jr

On my iPhone, I can go into SETTINGS / QUALITY / CELLULAR STREAMING QUALITY / and adjust. I am set to normal on Cellular.

5. Aspen

Aspen Active Member

I am using Android, there doesn't seem to be a "settings" menu in the Captune app.

6. +48V

+48V hi-fi or die

Use the Tidal app.

7. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

You can install CapTunes long enough to sign up for a free account, then dump it. (That is what I just did. ;) ) And as @+48V says, you can use the Tidal app to stream.

8. Aspen

Aspen Active Member

Yup that is the way to go. I used Tidal on my iPad last night and the interface is at least 10 times better than the CapTune app. I think the DAC in the iPad is weak and inferior to the one in my HTC One. I have a Chromecast Audio on the way, so I hope it is better than the iPad through the RCA cord.

9. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

Still works!

10. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

I just signed up last night and am pretty pleased so far. I use a desktop install to my laptop and play it on my main rig. Desktop allows me to default to Hi Fi and also access the MQA materials, which don't sound too bad either, and since they are free, why not audition them.

It did ho a bit wonky a couple times and stop, but all in all I'm pretty impressed. I do need to get more familiar with navigating it and compare it to Spotify, but there's a pretty good chance I'll be selling a lot of my common and casual listening LPs and CDs soon, as streaming offers me suitable quality for material rarely, if ever played.

I would certainly recommend these services to many, especially those who lean more to casual listens rather than gocused critical listening. Actually, the ability to audition recordings prior to purchase is generally worth the price of admission alone :thumbsup:

11. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

That is my reason for trying it out. Even at the "Hi Fi" price of $19.99/month, that is the price of, what, two or three new CDs at today's prices? It's a bargain. I have been listening to a 20 CD Bernard Haitink Philips Years set via Tidal all day while I've been working. The set is generally cheap enough (below $50), but I'm not a fan of everything in the set either.

I've read, though, that on some of the lossless streams, there is audible watermarking of files. I need to get more specifics. In addition to streaming MQA through a DAC which supports it, comparing the alleged watermarked lossless files with their CD equivalents would be a neat comparison to make at one of the SMAC get-togethers. (I only have an Audioquest Dragonfly Black to use for the MQA comparison, so, nothing fancy like a PS Audio DirectStream at Casa Wildcat at the moment.) Still, the Hi Fi version has to sound better than the lossy streaming services out there. :)

12. Andyman

Well after a few days, I'm pretty impressed. I'm still mucking about a bit, but right now doing a search and playing albums sounds quite nice to my ears. I'll have to do some vinyl comparos, but I'm quite please right now, and certainly wil sell some unplayed vinyl to fund this in the future.

olson_jr and Wildcat like this.
  13. olson_jr

@Andyman

There are still some issues with TIDAL, especially when searching for particular recordings. Like it might not show a recording under Bill Frisell because it is listed under The Bill Frisell Band or Bill Frisell Quartett. I have found that if I 'reach out' to TIDAL with some of these issues they usually thank me for the input and say they are still working on getting the search to work better.

14. olson_jr

I was just thinking that the state should be paying my TIDAL bill as I no longer use the Michigan Electronic Library system to ship CD's to our library from all over the mitten.

15. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

I miss that. I never used it for CDs, but did get a book or two that way. The video library was fantastic as well. I'd never seen a library where you could borrow an entire season of a classic TV series! Plus when my kidlets were younger, it was a regular trip every weekend to find a couple of things for them to watch.

olson_jr likes this.
  16. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

Giving it a whirl again, with the 90-day HiFi trial, now that they’ve added Sonos Direct Control. All my Sonos devices show up in the Tidal app, working well so far.

17. Andyman

I can't get it to open on my Samsung Note 4, but it works fine on the laptop...

18. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

Did the latest update install on the Note 4? Sometimes, too, if I close an app, then reopen it, it works the second time. I don't think the Note 4 is that old, is it? I don't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe uninstall/reinstall?

19. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

I bought a CD from Best Buy yesterday and got 6 months of Tidal free. Not sure if they are still offering that deal or when it started. I saw it mentioned on another forum, so I tried it out online and it worked. My girlfriend still listens to CDs, so I found something we both like since she still puts CDs in her car.

Wildcat likes this.
  20. CT Jim

CT Jim AK Subscriber Subscriber

Is there a sticker or something on the CDs that offer the free trial?