1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

TIDAL Free Three Month Trial

Discussion in 'Streaming Services' started by olson_jr, Sep 10, 2016.

1. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

I think it ended. I went back to the site and put a CD in my cart this morning and Tidal did not show up in the cart alongside the CD. I read about the deal on Steve Hoffman's forum (someone mentioned it in an unassociated thread) and must have gotten in on the last day or something. You may want to call their customer service number to be sure.

I did a search and according to this site, it ended on the 2nd.

http://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/best-buy-tidal-free-trial-promotion/

Sorry, I wish I had heard about and posted about it sooner.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. CT Jim

CT Jim AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks for the follow-up

uofmtiger likes this.
  3. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

4. GChief

GChief Not well known, super member or other silliness Subscriber

+48V likes this.
  5. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

There's more than enough Interest in streaming. Just not in Tidal with 1.2mil subs.
    Most people don't care about lossless. That will never change.

Even Spotify is small compared to Apple, Amazon and Google so I would not be surprised to see Tidal being bought up or simply go out of business.
    The top 3 will continue to stream even if they were loosing money on it. They can afford it and simply write it off as a Brand Recognition expense.

Eric

GChief likes this.
  6. MurrayLives

MurrayLives Born to lose, live to win

Having Tidal bought up by a company that understands social integration and discovery would be a real boon for everyone, it would be a real shame if it were to just go away. But if Spotify bought Zune, there’s hope for anybody.

E.Auer likes this.

7. botrytis

Spotify is not doing well, either. Actually none of the streaming services are doing well.

GChief likes this.
  8. GChief

I find that all the time with people that "love listening" to music. Heck I don't even care about lossless. But I would if vinyl wasn't my main source. I answer questions with my limited knowledge and exactly 1 out of the 20ish I have had in depth conversations with have invested $$ in the hardware to make streaming better. Of those 20ish 5 have made the move to vinyl after hearing mine, I am guessing 2 of them will stick with it. And 1 of those is the one that has started upping his streaming game. It's about bluetooth to a set of ok speakers streaming from one of the big 3 being "good enough" for most everyone but "our type". It's all about the $$.

I do my best to recruit just as I do in my Car and Motorcycle hobbies! You need to be able to convey why its a good idea to spend the $$ on audio when its already "good enough".

Hungry Henry Looking Up!!!!

:beerchug:

E.Auer likes this.
  9. botrytis

Actually, what it is, it is just like Radio. Why should I pay, when I can get it free? I mean, we should have seen this with Satellite radio doing so poorly.

10. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

You really need to try streaming.

Eric

11. botrytis

Why do people automatically assume I haven't tried streaming? I have and hence I stand behind what I say.

12. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier Subscriber

Yeah, the press is all over this Tidal story this morning. They're quick to call on Tidal's demise based on one report out of Europe. One report! Of course, the idiot online media runs with it and inflates it, one of them saying they're "on the verge of bankruptcy" in typical "clickbait headline" fashion (and getting the dollar amount wrong). And while doing a Google search to find this Verge article I read this morning, I saw the same panicked "running out of cash" headlines a year ago, like this one. A Tidal rep said that (emphasis mine) , “We have experienced negative stories about Tidal since its inception and we have done nothing but grow the business each year.” (Not sure about "grow business" each year, but Tidal has been the whipping boy for underdog streaming services since they debuted.)

So Spotify (far and away the largest subscriber base at a reported 60+ million) lost over half a billion dollars last year (on revenues of $3+ billion), and nobody runs around crying gloom and doom? I don't see how that can be sustained either, yet they somehow keep going on.

I am not writing off Tidal just yet--the entire vibe on the Internet this morning is like they have already closed up shop.

I also see them ripe for being a takeover target. Hopefully by someone who respects the lossless streaming.

I do think they all need to charge more. Unpopular I know, but there is a definite and growing demand for streaming out there (I'm guessing from published numbers that there are at least 100 million streaming customers at all of the services combined), since the average music listener these days doesn't want the expense and clutter of physical media, nor do they want to constantly rip CDs or download stuff to load on their smartphones. Yet the artists have continually been getting screwed by all of these services (not everyone sells a million copies of their music). There needs to be a balance.

E.Auer likes this.
  13. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Seems like lots of people are interested in streaming but just not to the hi fi part and rightfully so. With the vast majority of listeners streaming casually on equipment that renders the experience indistinguishable whichever bit rate they use, why would they'd want to pay double for hi fi streaming?

Edit
    What is perhaps more concerning today than hi fi streamings survival might be the realization by industry that quality in the music that was once strived for doesnt matter anymore and have that attitude filter down to newly produced music itself, from the content to the recording process.Why spend money fussing over quality for a few diminishing aging audiophiles when no body else really cares about anything but music with overblown exaggerated bass (for instance)?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    botrytis and GChief like this.
  14. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

What lossless Redbook quality radio stations do you listen to?

I rather enjoy avoiding commercial ads with Tidal.

15. botrytis

I haven't listened to radio in years, actually.

16. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

Not even remotely close to Satellite streaming.

Because you say on demand streaming "is just like radio". For better or worse, those sentiments make it sound like you have never tried it.

The thing that kept their doors open was Sprint. Whether Sprint or another company want to jump in and infuse them with more money remains to be seen. As you said, Spotify is running with large losses, as well. I still think that balloon will eventually burst, but who knows? However, if Spotify bursts, I still think Facebook, or another large company that values client metadata, will buy them when the price is right.

I linked an article in the Apple Music thread from Jimmy Iovine talking about this exact issue. Apple/Google/Amazon are using their music streaming to either make money on hardware, sell you stuff, or put ads in front of your face. They all have something outside of streaming to improve their bottom lines. Stand alone services will struggle for that reason.

+48V likes this.

17. GChief

almost just jumped down the radio rabbit hole :confused:

18. +48V

+48V hi-fi or die

uofmtiger likes this.
  19. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

The fact is that streaming is growing subscribers and revenue every year. More people listen via streaming than radio. CD sales are a small fraction of the pie.

[​IMG]

uofmtiger likes this.
  20. GChief

I think the problem is most of those are probably the free subscriptions.