Tidal Masters?

Whether you are using Tidal either directly or indirectly through a plugin, your usage metrics and personal info are logged and transmitted back to Tidal home base...prevents your Tidal installation from harvesting your data, (which includes your IP address, time and place of streaming, time and place of any download, your computer registration as the computer’s owner.) you are mistaken.
It would be much quicken to learn about my system by asking questions rather than repeatedly making incorrect assumptions. Tidal installation? I use a Logitech plug in that runs through LMS. Note the author.

plugin.jpg

Tidal collects this information in any instance and tier of their application.
I don't use their application!

Not really. Obviously you are unaware of what personal info and system information is reaped when you register and download media content from say, HD Tracks.

Obviously, you have zero understanding of what computers I use or how I do it. I use a company provided laptop for downloads.

End of responding to your empty arguments. Have a nice day!

This may be redundant, but...

iOS and Android devices can not decode the MQA of Tidal Masters. They can not push the MQA out to a DAC. You need a computer or MQA enabled streamer.

End of responding to your empty arguments. Have a nice day!
G-whiz. Why such ruffled feathers E-Stat?

So we have a difference of opinion and understanding of the facts surrounding this topic. I would like to think that our discourse so far is helping you and I understand one another better as well as providing some very salient on topic information. Isn’t that part of healthy forum discussion?

My comments are conveyed and intended to be as informative as possible to you and the group as a whole….was not and is not my intent to dismiss or offend your sensibilities in any way. Sorry you took it that way and signed off of the conversation.

Obviously there’s lots to learn on this subject. So with or without your further participation, I will continue to post matters of facts as I know them for the rest of the AK group on this point. In any event, I welcome you back with open arms so that you may enlighten us more about your setup. Please feel free to weigh back in if anything I post is incorrect or contrary to the way you use your computers, Tidal, and your LMS/Squeezelite setup.

Tidal installation? I use a Logitech plug in that runs through LMS. Note the author.

index.php

I don't use their application!
Actually you are indeed using Tidal’s application. Noted author aside, Tidal is installed from the Logitech plugin compliments of Tidal providing them access their private API. Hence, all of Tidal’s backend mechanics and standard industry licensing requirements apply therein.
Obviously, you have zero understanding of what computers I use or how I do it. I use a company provided laptop for downloads.
Based upon your historical posts over the past few years, I’m fairly confident that I have better that zero understanding of what computers you use and how you use them. Enough to make solid assumptions for the sake of further discussions. Again, please let us know more so we can move past any error in assumption to fact.

Regardless of what, which, or whose device you use, the Trojan-like information in question here is logged and relayed to first, second, and on occasion third parties. Party on mate!.

Last edited:
I'll say this, I bought an expensive DAC to do MQA decoding from Tidal to see if the tech was really worth it.

IMHO, 16/44 sounds very, very close to MQA. Yes, MQA can sound a touch better, but is it worth the effort?

For me, probably not.

Damn, is all this arguing still going one over MQA? I am listening to an MQA album right now, it sounds great.

I don't have dropouts with Tidal.

Qobuz is not available in my country.

As Peter Green once said, Oh well.

You folks need to spend more time relaxing into the music and less time arguing over formats. Really. It. Helps.

Damn, is all this arguing still going one over MQA? I am listening to an MQA album right now, it sounds great.

I don't have dropouts with Tidal.

Qobuz is not available in my country.

As Peter Green once said, Oh well.

You folks need to spend more time relaxing into the music and less time arguing over formats. Really. It. Helps.

Are you using a wireless or wired connection to stream Tidal? I assume you're streaming 192K? I find that unless I have a powered USB hub I can't stream 192K without hiccups/dropouts. 96K no problem. And frankly I can't hear any difference between 96 and 192(or for that matter, barely any difference from 44).

Two of my systems are wired via Ethernet, I have a Bluesound Powernode in my bedroom and it is wireless.

I am just running everything thru WiFi. The only issues I have are self induced, for example, if I am running Tidal from a device and leave the APP and start internet surfing etc then I MAY need to close app and re-open. I have a terrible ISP and if Tidal drops then nothing is working, Netflix, Pandora, Amazon etc. Being fairly new to streaming I have read most threads I can find on here about it, I have noticed that the drop and other problems seem to be the same handful of people :dunno:.

:beerchug:

I am just running everything thru WiFi. The only issues I have are self induced, for example, if I am running Tidal from a device and leave the APP and start internet surfing etc then I MAY need to close app and re-open. I have a terrible ISP and if Tidal drops then nothing is working, Netflix, Pandora, Amazon etc. Being fairly new to streaming I have read most threads I can find on here about it, I have noticed that the drop and other problems seem to be the same handful of people :dunno:.

:beerchug:

I have a fairly robust WiFi set up so the only issues I ever experience is with 192K. I suppose I could try a powered USB hub, but frankly my library is mostly CD ripped FLAC and some downloads, all standard fidelity that sound great to my ears. I'm not about to start adding more wires in order to be able to play higher quality files that frankly dont sound any better to me then CD.

I have a fairly robust WiFi set up so the only issues I ever experience is with 192K.
I use a range extender in the garage providing continuous high speed coverage for both endpoint and remote. I do enjoy the improved fidelity at 96/24 and beyond. :)

I use a range extender in the garage providing continuous high speed coverage for both endpoint and remote. I do enjoy the improved fidelity at 96/24 and beyond. :)

Like I said, I can barely hear any difference between 44 and 96, never mind 96 and 192. Plus, considering how large my library is, I'm not really gung ho over spending money to buy files just because their hi res. Getting a new DAC this week to improve on decade+ technology has given me a satisfying bump in fidelity and I'm ok to sit with that.

But if you enjoy the higher res, and you can hear the difference, I suppose it's worth it.

Getting a new DAC this week to improve on decade+ technology has given me a satisfying bump in fidelity and I'm ok to sit with that.
I once used a couple of Touch players and agree that the DAC was only so so. I also used a linear power supply or battery to replace the cheap switcher. I sold mine shortly after they were discontinued where demand and value was higher. When yours dies or you seek better for a modest amount, the Raspberry Pi platform is a great alternative that offers better performance.

But if you enjoy the higher res, and you can hear the difference, I suppose it's worth it.
It is for me. I really enjoy getting what is essentially the master recording for new content.

I once used a couple of Touch players and agree that the DAC was only so so. I also used a linear power supply or battery to replace the cheap switcher. I sold mine shortly after they were discontinued where demand and value was higher. When yours dies or you seek better for a modest amount, the Raspberry Pi platform is a great alternative that offers better performance.

It is for me. I really enjoy getting what is essentially the master recording for new content.

Actually the Touch DAC was considered quite good when it first appeared, so much so that most suggested you would need to spend quite a bit on an external DAC to better it. Certainly did the job for me for a number of years. But like I said, technology has improved and spending what is a relatively small amount to improve a large portion of my listening enjoyment was worth it.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Pi. I'll look into it.

Actually the Touch DAC was considered quite good when it first appeared...
Everything's relative I guess. The AKM4420 was not exactly a stellar performer and served duty as both DAC proper and analog "buffer" output.

But like I said, technology has improved and spending what is a relatively small amount to improve a large portion of my listening enjoyment was worth it.
My perspective is a bit different. What I find makes the most audible difference are old time fundamentals: quiet power supply feeding a good analog stage. I improved the sound quality markedly with the garage system's Music Hall 25.3 by replacing the TI op amps with Burson discrete FET modules. Click the text for a link to my report.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Pi. I'll look into it.
The RPi has triggered quite a market of solutions, both DIY and pre-assembled. I assembled mine using the necessary building blocks: RPi board, case, power supply, external WiFi adapter (for improved strength) and free piCorePlayer software that uses the same "squeezelite" core as the Touch. With a far more powerful processor and 1 GB of memory, it handles the FLAC decoding of hi-rez stuff better and allows using much of the memory as an output buffer. Mine is configured for 600 MB - which ensures virtually memory playback. While you can choose a HAT which contains an onboard DAC, I use a digital output board only:

rpi1217.jpg

The only trade off to some is that adding a touch screen requires a bit more effort as most are "headless". I don't consider that to be a limitation at all as I use WiFi based remote control software on pad, phone and watch which is more convenient. The infrared remote on the Touch cannot easily be used for content selection and must be line-of-sight.

Last edited:
All very interesting. All of this is interesting but it's beyond my skill set and desire. I take a pretty simple approach with my listening and gear, especially my digital gear. After 50 years of listening actively, I know what I like and what I don't. While I have no doubt that your approach yields positive outcomes, I'm ok with plug and play. But then again, I don't have the most resolving gear anyway so looking for the last word in detail has never been an objective of mine.

All very interesting. All of this is interesting but it's beyond my skill set and desire. I take a pretty simple approach with my listening and gear, especially my digital gear.
As I indicated, you can buy a pre-assembled unit including software for $200. Just plug in your choice of 5V power supply. I use a Jackery phone charger that lasts for a couple day's worth of playback. Most of today's solutions like it, Sonos, Bluesound, microRendu, etc. leverage the notion that folks already have an Apple or Android based phone or pad.

But then again, I don't have the most resolving gear anyway so looking for the last word in detail has never been an objective of mine.
Very well. You may be surprised how these inexpensive players can elevate the performance. While I'm primarily a build-system-around-speaker kind of guy, I'm amazed at just how good 70s era New Advents can sound given the chance. They take me back to 1972 when I purchased my first pair as a teenager...

Back
Top Bottom