TigerDirect.com Suck !!!!

If your talking about a warez copy of XP I would stay away from it. Especially if this is for AK. Could be awful if his system got hacked and having admin access to the forums. I wouldn't want to see that happen.

linux ??

apart from the learning curve for newbies, ... should solve almost all the licensing worries mentioned here, .. since its FREE.

Nope all I know is that I have installed my copy of XP professional on several machines and have never had to online register.

I agree the AK machine OS should come with the manual. I was just throwing options around. I don't see why Windows 98 won't work (other than the blue screen of death) and the fact it needs nursing and custom hardware driver installations. A floppy drive is most usefull when installing OS and configuring hardware. Good luck I'm all for a quick fix.

FYI. When i need a no frills computer I pick up a Dell on EBAY. For a $100 or so you can get a 1-2 year old machine with a warranty. I've bought a few from the resllers without any problems.

Originally posted by RocknRoll
I don't see why Windows 98 won't work (other than the blue screen of death) and the fact it needs nursing and custom hardware driver installations.
Win98 (and Win98SE, and Win95) all suck hairy balls. FAT32 is a horrid file system and...as I already posted...the biggest reason most Win90-whatever installs bite the dust.

NTFS is as good as FAT32 is bad. And no Dantana (and all else), not all versions of WinXP require registration, such as the Corporate version. Imagine a huge company rolling out XP onto thousands of systems. Now imagine needing a authorization code to activate each one! M$ must make the IT guys job a reasonably easy one, or no one is going to upgrade. Hence the Corporate XP version.

Works fine. Updates from M$ website just fine. Requires no activation, as advertised. XP is the best by light-years that M$ has ever done. No reason to use anything else.

As far as the 'manual', it's laughable. No one would miss it who has ever operated a computer for even a short time.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Andyman
Could be wrong, but I believe each install requires on online registration, with proof of purchase or something similar, to complete the install.

But it's quite possible that someone here knows a way around it??
Grump has the solution by now. And as far as drivers, Win2000 would likely be better than Win98, but XP will likely have every driver it needs.

Last edited:
Yes, your right EW, there is a corporate version, but the license is too expensive for most places to afford. We have over 5000 PC's and each one has it's own license. Compaq puts a sticker on each PC with both Win2000 and XP license on our new ones. If your talking about warez, well that's another story. We normally buy our licenses in bulk and go to MS website to validate each one with the new Office 2003. It's a real PITA.

Well we all seem to have our own perspective on how things work. There is more than one way to solve a problem.

I have a friend who works for a college and they use XP pro on all machines and use the same serial # on all machines and there is no online registration, all the IT guys there know the serial # by heart for when they do installs and reformats. I believe you just have to pay a fee for the # of machines it goes on not buy a copy for every machine, schools may be different than for profit businesses tho.

Every large institution does it different, we have 14 campuses and each one has it's own budget. It would of made sense and saved money over the long run if we did something like that. Just our antivirus software is roughly $125,000 a year for a corporate license, so because we can't get everyone on the same page, we just get one per PC. It's only $50.00 a copy for us so it's not that bad. The reason we didn't do it is mostly politics, nobody wants to hand over their share of the corporate license and our IT department can't afford a corporate license out of it's budget.

Valued customer MY ASS !

I love their advice of trying another hard drive. Hm ya think they want me to buy that also from them. NEVER !!!!!!!!!!

Their reply

Dear Valued Customer,

we are sorry to hear that you are having trouble
loading the operating system.

There is a 90 days warranty on this computer.
Support is provided at 973-574-1215.

If all else fails try a different harddrive.

We at TigerDirect.com appreciate your business.
If you have further inquiries, please reply to
this email, or call us at 1.800.800.8300.

Make sure to include the entire email in any
responses, so we can address your issues further.

Luckily with the generosity of our great member this computer is now about ready to be taken off life support and start a new life..

F**k Off Tigerdirect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys, just got back intown. Sorry to hear of all your troubles. I know it would be a pain, but if you want to send it to me, I can have XP, 2000Pro, Redhat9 or anything else you might want loaded. Anything I can't fix goes to a senior software programming buddy of mine. This guy is a super computer geek. He just fixed a hosed laptop that Kam sent me. He had to boot it in Linux via CD and rebuild the computer from scratch. It now runs XP.

I would call the BBB in their state and make a formal complaint about them. You could even call their states Attorney General's office and complain.

Dan

Funny they are based outta Illinois not all that far from you iirc. Feel like paying them a visit for me :D

I had no idea they were in Illinois, I've never done business with them, and now glad I haven't. I'll look up their info and see what's up with them. I'm sure there is something I can do :)

Originally posted by grumpy
Valued customer MY ASS !

I love their advice of trying another hard drive. Hm ya think they want me to buy that also from them. NEVER !!!!!!!!!!

Their reply

Dear Valued Customer,

we are sorry to hear that you are having trouble
loading the operating system.

There is a 90 days warranty on this computer.
Support is provided at 973-574-1215.

If all else fails try a different harddrive.

We at TigerDirect.com appreciate your business.
If you have further inquiries, please reply to
this email, or call us at 1.800.800.8300.

Make sure to include the entire email in any
responses, so we can address your issues further.

Luckily with the generosity of our great member this computer is now about ready to be taken off life support and start a new life..

F**k Off Tigerdirect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pardon my French, but you need to tell these braindead arseholes to "F*ck off" again.

There is no hard drive issue.

There is no CD ROM issue.

There is an issue with them leaving that Crappy PXE 2.0 or whatever that network crapola was in the BIOS and jacking your system up so it wouldn't recognize a boot disk from A drive.

And there IS an issue with them not knowing about it and directing you properly on how to remedy it. They SHOULD have known and THEY should have advised you.

Period. End of Discussion.

If you like, I would be happy to prepare an invoice for 3 hours of mine/our time screwing around with this @ $75.00/hr to correct their issues to charge them back.

How was this paid for? CC? Can you file a claim that the goods materially differed from those delivered and get a refund?

You bet I'm taking the gloves off.

Why not??

Andy

If it wouldn't send my Blood pressure into the atmosphere I would pursue this matters with these shit heads but with members like you and others helping we should be in biz shortly. A great big Thanks to all that helped or are helping.

Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom