Tight Squeeze For McIntosh Amp In Audio Rack

Mamrak1

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I would like to step up in power with another Mac amp. I have the MC152 now. My main problem is my rack is 10 inches from shelf to shelf. The amp can't go on the top shelf either. There is no room for a power amp stand on the floor. I can't swing the cost of MC301s. The newer amps are all 9 7/16 inches in height. I don't want to squeeze anything in, due to heat concerns. Any suggestions or ideas?

I don't think the MC152 will run hot at all, but what's the other amp you want to stack it on?

I do have a custom rack. A nice, solid one in fact. I won't be replacing it. I am not stacking amps. That is no-no in my book. The so-called new higher power Mac amp would replace the MC152 on the bottom shelf of my rack. The only thing I could come up with is to remove the legs on the new amp (if that is even possible) To give me an extra inch. That isn't much of a solution in my mind.

I did think about an MC 7270 or 7300 but then there is the problem of speaker connections. I have expensive cables that have banana plugs on them. I would hate butchering those up to make a connection on those older style amps.

Consider modifying the existing rack so that the center area of the shelf is perforated, or just removed entirely if you can get away with that. Just leave enough around the edge to support the unit's feet. Maybe drill a slight recess for each foot so the they don't slip out and into the hole... but it's not going to fall through. Maybe do the shelf above the amp, too.

Removing the feet and keeping a solid shelf could defeat any cooling air intake from the bottom, if it has intakes there. Or even just the airflow beneath it. That might be worse than stacking.

Chip

There are banana plug adaptors for the screw type connectors.

And what does the rack look like ? Any way to attach extensions to the legs ?

The rack can't really be adapted or changed. It is as is. All I am hoping to achieve with a new amp is increased power.20170731_102350.jpg

Consider modifying the existing rack so that the center area of the shelf is perforated, or just removed entirely if you can get away with that. Just leave enough around the edge to support the unit's feet. Maybe drill a slight recess for each foot so the they don't slip out and into the hole... but it's not going to fall through. Maybe do the shelf above the amp, too.

Removing the feet and keeping a solid shelf could defeat any cooling air intake from the bottom, if it has intakes there. Or even just the airflow beneath it. That might be worse than stacking.

Chip
I didn't think removing the legs was a good idea. I was just grasping for some possible solutions. If I had the money I would go with a pair of MC301s and be done with it.

You pretty much limit your options for more power with an amp mounted into that rack, and a very nice custom rack it is. You could spring for a 2nd MC152 and run one to each speaker with a channel to hi and lo input taps, but it not being being mono-bridgeable or paralleled you may not gain any more wattage, just better separation and greater available amperage from the two power supplies.

Otherwise a pair of older slimline Mc amps that can be run mono should do the trick for more power.

Pair of MC162s in mono . . . but then you lose the autoformers and take a major step back in technology. Who knows, maybe you'd prefer a direct coupled design. MC7270 or MC7300 would easily accommodate bananas via the readily available spade to banana adapters.

Pair of MC162s in mono . . . but then you lose the autoformers and take a major step back in technology. Who knows, maybe you'd prefer a direct coupled design. MC7270 or MC7300 would easily accommodate bananas via the readily available spade to banana adapters.

Or better yet, a pair of MC202s mono'd, but they're hard enough to find only one. let alone two of 'em.
It seems only a slimline amp will fit without modding the rack.

Or better yet, a pair of MC202s mono'd, but they're hard enough to find only one. let alone two of 'em.
It seems only a slimline amp will fit without modding the rack.
I don't think that model can be run mono for some strange reason.

How about external amp stands?

I've seen those used when folks upgrade and have no room for a larger amp or pair of amps.

Have you considered building a 3 sided, inverted stand that will fit over one of the components on the top shelf. You can the place the amp on the top of it and have access to the rear like you desire.

Back
Top Bottom