Tight Squeeze For McIntosh Amp In Audio Rack

If you're not running out of steam, why the need for additional power then?
headscratch.gif
I asked myself this exact question a couple years while contemplating a second MC2500. Once I heard the pair bridged vs. the single amp I knew I'd made the right choice landing the 2nd one

You didn't say which speakers you have, But if they are 4 ohms I have some suggestions. A MC 7200 will put out 256 watts continuous and 324 peak, 8 ohms. At four ohms 392 watts continuous and 544 watts peak. Another choice would be a MC 352, which puts out over 430 watts continuous and is a quad balanced amplifier. As much as I like the 7200, the 352 is from a totally design and performance plateau, and is what I would be looking for.

But remember the 352 is only a 4+ db increase, and that usually isn't enough for most folks. We always recommended a minimum of 5 to 6 db increase if power is the only criteria. The issue for you is quality. And a 352 isn't going to match a 152, it will be similar though. And 301's aren't the answer either. You know where this leading don't you. two 601's but thats out of the question. Go listen to a 352.

Last edited:
I have the Opera Quintas which are a 4 ohm impedance. I owned the MC352 a few years back and disliked it. It was too soft on the high frequencies for my taste. I was leaning towards an MC302 if I was going to buy something more recent. Of course nothing is set in stone. The 601s are out of my price range and there is the problem of where to place them. I'm mulling things over still. I want this to be the last power amp purchase in my lifetime. Famous last words, of course.

Back
Top Bottom