Time for a new needle

I'd say bag the Red (just my opinion), it's between the 440ML and the M97xE.

I've never heard the 440ML, but can make some general comments:

It has a line contact stylus, is supposed to track very well and is generally considered to be a "bright" cartridge, a bit lean on the bass.

The M97xE -- has a 0.2x0.7 mil elliptical stylus, doesn't track quite as well as the 440ML because of that (but is also not as sensitive to VTA). It's also a warm cartridge (after break-in) and relatively neutral... you might say warm and mellow. Plenty of bass. Very detailed. And you can get it for $69 + $4.00 shipping (in the USA, not sure about Canada) from www.sloca.com (that's the price I paid, anyway).

If I had it to do again, I might go for the AT440ML instead since the type of music I listen to (analog synthesizers) really needs a "bright" cartridge, but either should be fine for rock. From my experience with the Grados I would say they're all wrong for rock music (but great for classical & vocals, & other quieter stuff).

Cheers,

Moogfan

Last edited:
Well my last, AudioTechnica was an OC9 but costed me 400 cdn. reg. 800cdn. I sold it, mounted to a Rega 3 for rent money. I like the sound and the bass was just way better then the former Blue Point.

Back
Top Bottom