time for a new surround reciever?

jami w.

just being me thats all
ive got a beautiful sounding yamaha 5.1 natural sound reciever. but lately the past week the left side channel on the mains have been cutting out.
i have to turn it off for a few mins, when i turn it back on, the left channel works, except its at a lower volume then right channel. at this point dont think its any dirty switches, but i could be wrong? im also thinking its because due to older age also.

im thinking of looking for a newer used onkyo or pioneer 5.1 surround reciever,
any models of the above to avoid?

Last edited:
Find a nice Pioneer Elite from 2009 or Newer......and make sure that it weighs a minimum of 30 Pounds.... that way you can be assured that it's a higher end Elite with some powerful amps.....TrueHD decoding and 7.2 capabilities... and you can always run 5.1 if that's your desire

Find a nice Pioneer Elite from 2009 or Newer......and make sure that it weighs a minimum of 30 Pounds.... that way you can be assured that it's a higher end Elite with some powerful amps.....TrueHD decoding and 7.2 capabilities... and you can always run 5.1 if that's your desire

id love to try 7.2. the yammie i have is 5.1 but im running a y cable off sub out for running both my subs.
id love to get back into silver pionerr sx stuff, but im not rich anymore. thanks ill start looking into some elite stuff then thanks :)

Accessories4Less has some huge discounts on the Onkyo Integra AVR's. While I like the Yamaha Aventage receivers, 75% off, is hard to ignore.

Integra
the yamaha 5150 i have sounds good dont get me wrong, but it kind of lacks the punch ive always had with my past systems.

and why im thinking of going back to pioneer recievers, the highs always sounded sharp and crisp to my ears. and the ads 1290's im running would most likely bennifet from it, and let them sing and shine. verse the yamaha.

so which of the pioneer elite models should i look for?
7.2 surround, at least with one hdmi hook up,
no internet will be hooked up to it.
just stereo, tv, for ps3, and blu-ray player.

any model numbers to look for? if i was searching for ss vintage? id be golden i know more about those then surround recievers.

The Pioneer receivers, with Class D amps, all have a "SC" in their model names. That makes it easy to separate discrete amps from the digital versions. Other than that, it's hard to keep up with all various models. Though I did own a Pioneer VSX-03TXH Elite receiver. It was a beast, with a strong amp section. Good sound too, with Wolfson DACs. I'm sorry I traded it in.

see you just taught me something i didnt know, thank you! i want the amp to have have some "balls" so to say. so i now have an idea what to look for.

IME any amp/receiver that has "balls" will have a 4 Ohm rating. Some even have a 2 Ohm rating. Those that do have more "balls".

I had one of those RXS-1067's in my bedroom. It doesn't have HDMI inputs so I let it go. It is big heavy and quite powerful. But for the lack of HDMI inputs I'd have kept it.

I have Marantz and Denon AV receivers and love them especially for Audyssey Room Eq features, but I wouldn't get too caught up in brands at this point. First is to figure out your budget which would among other things is do you want to have all or most of the latest features such as HDMI, Dolby True & DTS HD non compresed codecs, or even more recent Atmos.

You can some very good non HDMI AV receivers for pennies on the dollar, i.e. $1000+ for $100.

In any case I would look for a receiver with with Pre amp outs so that you can add an external amp if needed. Most modern AV receivers skimp on amplifier power so that they can add features and still be affordable. I'd second Accesoriesforless as a source fairly recent AV receivers at bargain prices. The catch is that they're refurbished, but I and others have had good luck with them and there is a warranty.

I'm also on the hunt for a decent HT receiver. Was thinking about the Rotel RSX1067...
RotelRSX1067_1_zpsdfceb186.jpg
:yikes::eek2: to rich for my blood

Screenshot_20180320-015255.png this will fit with what im wanting, now to hunt for it!! do i need an account to buy things on the bay? ive never sold/bought anything on it. dont even have a paypal account/card. ugh

Back
Top Bottom