Time to come out of the shadows...

LHorn

...my name is Larry and I have been checking out this forum from time to time...glad to be a member finally. I have a fairly simple setup but it has been rock solid for me since I bought everything new in 1989. There is more I would have liked to acquire, but life threw in other priorities like kids, jobs and houses. I am no expert by any means but I have been addicted to fine audio most of my life. This is my list of current equipment I have..nothing too exotic...some of which need some dire attention soon...but more on that in the threads to come.
Luxman R-117 Receiver
Luxman DZ-111 CD Player
Technics SL-BD22 Turntable
JBL 240ti Speakers
Sennheiser HD250 600ohm Headphones
1914 Victrola XI-A....no I didnt buy this new...it was my great grandparents passed on to me. LOL

Anyway...thanks for having me here.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome...sorry it took so long to reply. On that note..I should have mentioned in my first post that my time on here may be slightly erratic...just a heads up. On top of being disabled it was discovered a few years ago I have a little gremlin growing in my head..which has already taken my left eye sight and is invading my pituitary. The results are I have my good days/hours and the bad...which makes it hard to sit at a computer or much else. So if I disappear for awhile after a post I am not being rude..it just takes me some time to get back to you. Like everyone is on the edge of their seats waiting for my reply right! :rflmao: Also please...no need to comment about it...not looking for sympathy..just want you to know I'm not being a jerk or troll. :blah: .....and now for something completely different!

@electronjohn ...yes this system has been a part of my family for a long time. I bought it when I was single..it lasted through two kids and longer than my marriage. One of the main reasons for trying to get everything back to top shape is my son grew up with it and it will be passed on to him just like the Victrola was passed down to me. He is 19yo now so maybe he will get another 30 years out of it too.

@Route 66 ...I made a short video for you of the Victrola..check out the the volume controls...back then it was a workout to listen to one song...choose a needle for loud or soft sound...crank...play...rinse and repeat every record.

@imral3 I took some shots yesterday...excuse the dust...like I said nothing real exotic but she has served me well.

When I bought this system at Myer Emco in Rockville MD in 1989...I also listened to the JBL 250Ti's side by side with my 240's. While I wanted desperately to get the 250's...it would have been another $1k-1.2k I think at the time...and that was just not possible for me. I am still satisfied with the 240's though. Even though the R-117 lights them up rather well I always wondered how more power like the M400 or M-117 would make them sound. :idea: Anyway...on with the pics and video.....
EVWcUB5.jpg
KRyA6Tg.jpg
hjAzHzm.jpg
FdUaGv6.jpg
IzvjM5a.jpg
q9qsTAw.jpg

Lookin' good, bro!! And don't worry - there's plenty of us disabled guys (myself included) around here. ;) All that matters is our love of music. :hug:

Welcome to AK Larry. Glad to have you here. I'm sure you'll find the interactive experience here to be enlightening and fullfilling; I know I do.
I have a friend with some Luxman gear, that he just loves, but the only component that I have close to yours, is a set of Sennheiser HD 540 reference headphones.
Great sound, eh?
Anyway ... happy listening.

Dave

@imral3 I can appreciate that...thx.

@Route 66 No problem...now you know why back in the days they had a lot of kids...to have a "remote" always nearby. ;)

@david1111 Thank you David....I have been lurking for some time now and have already found this site helpful in refoaming my JBL's. Thats great..would be interesting to see what Luxman equipment your friend has. Wow..the HD540's...nice...I bought my 250's shortly after buying my system and by that time my wallet was drying up..so that was my limit. Like everything else I did a lot of research and driving around (God where was the internet back then lol)... listening and comparing. It literally took me over a year to decide on my system...but for the headphones I fell in love at the first listening. The store I bought them from had all the headphones displayed in a hallway right outside their high end listening room...in which they had McIntosh shaking the store at times...I would go in..listen to that then back to the headphones. It took me about three trips but finally bought the 250's...if I had hung around there any longer I was surely headed for financial ruin! :rflmao:

Now if I understand the layout here...for my Luxman issues I would post in the Solid State forum....correct?
But for my JBL issues...do I use Speakers or Lansing forum? I assume Speakers is more generic and Lansing is specific...or is it vintage only?

I was looking at my pic and for grins I did a Google search on that red boom box I've had since 1982-3..the Sony CFS-700 TranSound...or Cublic as it is in Japan. Evidently there is a following of that too in vintage boom boxes. Who knew. Mine still works great and had the best sound I could find at the time for something portable. :dunno:

@LHorn
Yes, the internet has made so many audio things, so much easier. Things that I was trying to accomplish back then were way more time consuming, and far less accurate.
All the vintage gear I've purchased has been exactly what I've needed, and mated well with the other components cuz there are a whack of reviews and opinions, with different view points. And one can analyze the info, and make a more educated decision.

And when I was buying my HD540's, there wasn't a lot of other choices at my local shop for high-end headphones. (It was, like, a hundred years ago, so I think they had just recently invented headphones at the time).
I can't believe they still sound so good. Such an open, airy sound. And very accurate.
And I love The Mac stuff as well. I have an Adcom 555ii and a tube pre right now, but there may be a Mac amp in my future, cuz I began the journey with an MC 2105 amp, and an MX 113 tube pre when I was about 18 or 19 y/o. Glorious sound. I sold it all to buy a motorbike and do some travelling. I'm not totally sure, but I think I kinda regret it. But like you said, to much audio enthusiasm can bring financial ruin to averagely (thats a word now) funded enthusiasts. Thats why vintage stuff is so cool; and I've got a great local guy, about 3 miles from me for any recapping requirements.

And yeah, unless someone starts a specific Luxman or JBL forum, then the general speaker and solid state forums are probably best for info. It's quite amazing, the variety of equipment that people have here. There's always someone with your stuff.
And its not just vintage unless its specified in the forum title. There's lots of great new gear available. Some of it is Class D amplification, which some enthusiasts just love, (me, not so much; but what do I know?). But there's lots of Class A, A/B, as well. I have a Class H Technics receiver that sounds very good. And what the he** is Class H?

And your boom box sounds pretty cool. This stuff lasts forever, huh? The only portable thing I have is a Klipsch sound bar below my TV, which I take off the wall and set it outside with the bluetooth sub, if we're having a BBQ or something. The Klipsch sound bar is great, I highly recommend it.
Anyway, Larry, have fun on the site.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom