1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Time to replace my Tandberg 3012

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by Somna, Dec 8, 2018 at 9:02 AM.

1. Somna

Somna New Member

My wonderful Tandberg 3012 integrated has finally bitten the dust after ten years or wonderful service. And, while I'm going to hold onto it in the hopes that I'll eventually be able to afford the $1000 or so for a complete restoration, I need to buy something used in the meantime in the $300-500 range. My speakers are B&W Matrix 2, Series II and I use a Naim CD5si CD player.

Before I got the Tandberg, I was of the amplification doesn't matter all that much unless you spend a fortune school. This was after using a Carver, then an NAD. But the fact was that, once I put the 3012 in, everything began to gel in my system: things sounded less clinical, more cohesive, more - and I hate the use the word in this context because it's so vague - musical. So that's the type of sound I'm looking for.

Any suggestions on less expensive integrateds that might be worth considering? Creek? An old Naim 3? A/D/S Braun A2?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ryuuoh

ryuuoh FFXIV Summoner Subscriber

You'll want something rated to drive 4 ohm loads. Maybe a used Marantz pm8004 or similar.

3. ap14608

ap14608 New Member

I don't have a suggesting in your price range, i just wanted to offer my condolences. I had to retire my 3002A and 3006A about a year ago, and it was a sad day

Somna likes this.
  4. Somna

Somna New Member

Thanks for the reply. Anything specific you can tell me about that particular Marantz?

5. Somna

Somna New Member

Yeah, I was kind of hoping it would last forever, LOL. Had a good run though!

6. ryuuoh

ryuuoh FFXIV Summoner Subscriber

The Marantz allegedly has the signature "Marantz' sound. Plus, you get some modern connectivity.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. jdurbin1

jdurbin1 Tandberg enthusiast Subscriber

$1K to service a 3012? Sounds like a Soundsmith quote... ouch.

Other than the Hitachi MOSFET outputs - which are still out there with some patience (or there's a sub that may be used) and this model only has 4 outputs - there isn't anything particularly difficult about repairing a 3012/3012A. Lots of good techs that would probably do that for at most 1/4 of that cost.

John

EvanF likes this.
  8. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

You need more power, higher current, than a Naim3 or an ADS/BraunA2. A B&W Matrix 2 is a very hungry speaker. And best driven by separates. Look at something like maybe an Adcom power amplifier and preamp. Might be doable in your budget or not too much above it.