Time to take stock of how much this internet audio forum has changed my "system"

ProAc_Fan

Addicted Member
Before I joined AU and subsequently moved over to AK with the rest of the "crew" my system consisted of the following:

Sansui 8080 receiver ( thrift shop score $70)
Sansui SC3300 cassette deck ( thrift shop again $9)
RCA RP8070 5 disc CD changer ( WalMart $130)
Axiom M3ti's bookshelf speakers ( Audio store $300)

Now after all of the "bad" influences here its

Phase Linear 400 series 1 amplifier ( $450 thanks Rich M)
Phase Linear 4000 series 1 quad preamp ( trade for 8080 thanks Thatch)
Phase Linear 1000 auto correlator ( thanks again Thatch)
Pioneer DV-09 Elite DVD/CD player ( Electronic Depot $1,100.)
Linn Basik TT with Akito arm and Linn K9 cart ( thanks Grump..lets just say it wasn't cheap LOL)
Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers ( total investment around $400)

I've also acquired 2 other TT's, a few cassette decks and have basically filled my basement with assorted pieces of audio gear.

Wow typing this out has made me realize just how much money I've spent keeping up with the Jones'!!

Well its certainly fun to go back and see how much things have changed. I didn't even mention the custom rack that I built( thanks Ward). I can't believe all the great friends I've made and all the stories I've heard. I'm looking forward to many more of course and hopefully I can be happy with my gear for a while.

Mike

Newbie question

I keep reading about "AU" and the fact that many members here
are in exile from that forum, what what exactly is "AU"??????

I KNOW what the two AA's are, but "AU" escapes me.

While you're at it, can somebody tell me what "Diddy Wah Diddy"
means????

Oh, and how many angels can dance on the head of a pin???
And the air speed velocity of a swallow????:)

Tonto Yoder
Sorry to ask a dumb question, but us Amish (esp. Fla. Amish) are a little behind the times!!!!

Re: Newbie question

Originally posted by Tonto Yoder
... what what exactly is "AU"??????

AU is www.audioutopia.com . This forum was created by Norb Schmeid, Audio Review's creator and long time administrator. At one point he lost his job at Audio Review, and he created Audio Utopia last year. Most of the vintage forum jumped over to his forum, but he then dissappeared.

At that point, Kamakiri created this site. We all moved from AU to this site.

Chris

And the air speed velocity of a swallow????

What do you mean? An African or European swallow? ;)

Grumpy,
SEE--I can play straight man when the situation calls for it!!

Next, you'll be explaining how coconuts are migratory!:)

TY

Forum family tree

So Audio Review gave rise to many forums????

Audio utopia was an offshoot (from which AK is an "offshoot").

And Audio Asylum was formed by somewhat disgruntled AR members (Orange Monday????) and then Audio annex was formed by somewhat disgruntled AA members (originally it was Audio outcasts).

So Tim has to kick back massive amounts of money to Audio Review that he's raking in off this website???? (Sorry, I've been watching too many Sopranos episodes.):)

TY

I've always been a little suspicious on any forum that would allow me as a member, and so far none has shown great staying power. AK may be different. I guess if things get shacky here, they could always kick me off and turn it into a tubie only place.
;)

Lefty

Hey Pro don't forget besides the fun of hunting, buying, trading, bartering, fixing, cleaning... you get to listen to some great stuff. Then there is the upside of selling gear for more than you paid. What ?! a hobby that pays money back - WAY COOL!

That's not a coconut. It's a horse.
I told you once.
No you didn't
Norwegian Blue, lovely plumage!
Naughty, naughty Zute!!

Miguel

You've been one buzy beaver! Can't say I've done much in the last year except swap amps in February, ditch my out-board passive, go back to my old interconnects and make some DIY silver speaker "cables". Gosh, other than splurging on tubes I've been pretty thirfty this last year.

Like you I've made alot of friends in the last 3 1/2 years sharing thoughts, stories and even trading insults with cyber-friends and wouldbe combatants. I've learned so much I don't know where to begin thanking everyone.

MikE

Rich sold you a PL400 for $450! Ouchies I see them go for $200 - $300 all the time on the bay, I still can't believe you paid $1100 for a CD/DVD player, dood you got issues ;)

WOOOAAAAA 1,100.00 for a CD/DVD player? Geeeee I just paid 220 for a Panny RP 82. It's an sweet progressive scan machine with great audio playback. Can that DV-09 be that much better? Can't imagine... Whew, to rich for my blood. :dunno:

Hey gents you gotta remember I converted all funds into CAN dollars. So that $450 is actually $300 USD and for a mint PL 400 thats about the going rate. Plus I'm willing to pay a little more to a seller I know and can trust than to throw money at some ebay hack. Ditto on the $1,100 DVD/CD player. Thats "only" about $700 USD which was a steal. It was brand new and MSRP is $2,000. USD. Oh and WW yep its worth every penny both in sound quality, build quality and panache. I can stop worrying about sources for probably 20 yrs now. Except for maybe a PL tuner.:D :D

Mike

Before I joined AU and subsequently moved over to AK with the rest of the "crew" my system consisted of the following:

Sansui 8080 receiver ( thrift shop score $70)
Sansui SC3300 cassette deck ( thrift shop again $9)
RCA RP8070 5 disc CD changer ( WalMart $130)
Axiom M3ti's bookshelf speakers ( Audio store $300)

Now after all of the "bad" influences here its

Phase Linear 400 series 1 amplifier ( $450 thanks Rich M)
Phase Linear 4000 series 1 quad preamp ( trade for 8080 thanks Thatch)
Phase Linear 1000 auto correlator ( thanks again Thatch)
Pioneer DV-09 Elite DVD/CD player ( Electronic Depot $1,100.)
Linn Basik TT with Akito arm and Linn K9 cart ( thanks Grump..lets just say it wasn't cheap LOL)
Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers ( total investment around $400)

I've also acquired 2 other TT's, a few cassette decks and have basically filled my basement with assorted pieces of audio gear.

Wow typing this out has made me realize just how much money I've spent keeping up with the Jones'!!

Well its certainly fun to go back and see how much things have changed. I didn't even mention the custom rack that I built( thanks Ward). I can't believe all the great friends I've made and all the stories I've heard. I'm looking forward to many more of course and hopefully I can be happy with my gear for a while.

Mike

what’s changed in the past 20? :)

Back
Top Bottom