Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (BBC, 1979)

Mystic

We're all born mad
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
(BBC, 1979)

* Parts I & II

Not the recent (2011?) film adaptation of the La Carre novel (1974), but the 1979 BBC production featuring Alec Guiness as "George Smiley". Anyone else seen this series recently? Am two "parts" (i.e., episodes) into it and I am already reminded that The Cold War, unlike depicted @ more contemporary "treatments" in film and television serials (e.g., The Americans), was not about spectacular, action-packed events, was in fact rather a "quiet" phenomenon. Have five "parts" to go, after which I'll be lighting up the "sequal" serial, Smiley's People (1982).

I recall enjoying that series when it was first broadcast, it was very well done. "Reilly, Ace Of Spies" (starring Sam Neill) followed that series by a couple of years, and was also quite good.
I would like to watch both series again one of these days.

Enjoyed watching both BBC 's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People. Alec Guinness is perfectly cast as George Smiley. Saw the shows when originally broadcast in 79 and 82.

I have the DVDs, and watch them from time to time - one of the few 'movies' I ever watch more than once!
Easily one of my 'top 5' all time greats.
Alec Guinness's portrayal is amazing. I found that it did help to read the books to better understand what all is going on!
This is one I wish they would re-master for HiDef widescreen!!

I agree with Nedseg, one of the best things ever put on television. I too bought the dvds, great cast & acting. One of the best lines is when they are in George Smiley's home and the guest comments on the painting that his wife had bought for him, "Must have been a pretty big sin."
Thanks for bringing this one up, Mystic.

I agree with Nedseg, one of the best things ever put on television. I too bought the dvds, great cast & acting. One of the best lines is when they are in George Smiley's home and the guest comments on the painting that his wife had bought for him, "Must have been a pretty big sin."
Thanks for bringing this one up, Mystic.

With pleasure RT!

Took a couple of nights off from TTSS to watch a couple (Kubrick) films, but think we'll finish up Parts 3 & 4 of TTSS tonight. Next week & weekend: Smiley's People.

^^ I'm resisting the "binge watch", tryin' to make the experience of each episode "last" longer. Might even split the viewing of Parts 3 & 4 across two nights instead of one. We'll see.

Mystic would one of the Kubrick films be Dr. Strangelove?

Well, it might be if I decide to have a "second viewing" in the space of (approximately) 6 weeks -- if you comeb through this thread you'll see I reported having watched DS just a few weeks ago. It was of course delightful.

Speaking of "more Kubrick", one I haven't watched in years and intend to (re)watch (besides Barry Lyndon, which is wonderful, albeit glacial pace, epic story) is Lolita (1962). I'm "toying" with the idea of (re)watching Eyes Wide Shut (1999) which, IIRC, did not send thrills through me when I saw it (at the movies) in 1999, @ least not on a par with his other (relatively speaking) "late works", e.g., The Shining and Full Metal Jacket. The latter impressed me even more in my (re)watching of a few nights ago; I could really (this time) get the sense of (author and co-screenplaywright) Michael Herr's "presence" in the script and structure of FMJ. This element didnot "jump out" at me when I first viewed FMJ some 30 years ago.

Lastly, I'd like to (re)watch a very early work, The Killing (1956), a film I have not seen since a "university film course" in the mid 1980s.

Saw Tinker Tailor on BBC when it first ran. All Britain stopped and rushed home every (Tuesday IIRC) for the new episode, wondering Who's the mole? A national sensation. The best actors in England, many little known but so talented. I'd read the novel before, and the show was better. I knew who the mole was, and it didn't matter — Aristotle opined that in Drama "Expectation is more effective than Suspense."

Didn't like the movie at all. You can't squeeze a 6-hour story into 100 minutes, they can't be blamed for that. So much left out, eg major characters turned into meaningless bit-players.

But Oldman was so flat. Same character: betrayed by his wife, falsely accused and banished for espionage, only called back out of desperation but not wanted. Smiley was bummed, depressed, bitter, dour but intense. Yet Guinness gave every scene so many different colors, even wit. Oldman only got the bummed part, and a bit of intense. And I think he's a great actor; he just never grasped the character.

IMO Tinker Tailor is the best TV 'mini-series' ever.

Back
Top Bottom