Tips for going off Zoloft?

Well my ex successfully transitioned from Zoloft to fairly heavy cannabis use and her moods and sense of well-being improved dramatically. Probably wouldn’t help you with the military though...
I might potentially try “the devils lettuce”. My mom and brother do it and I’ve done it before but I do not want to do it on a regular basis. The one effect I get from withdrawal is being tierd and sleeping in and today I just slept in til 9.

Smoking the ganja still makes me tired, but I find I don't care as much. ;-}

Biggest issues right now are quesy stomach and a bit of a headache, not to mention some sleep restlessness, but keep in mind it's pretty much full dose cymbalta and only three days since starting it, so I guess it's to be expected.

I know first hand your pain. Zoloft is an evil medication. I got down to 25mg and went cold turkey it was hell for 2 weeks. It was a couple of months before I got out from under it.

Hang in there my friend I really do feel your pain. There is all this talk about opioid drugs phooey it these behavioral drugs that are the real evil. The common thread of all of the school shootings is young men who have been on these drugs most of the lives and suddenly stop taking them. Attention deficit disorder is a made up problem by educators.

Last edited:
Well guys ive been down to half a dose for 4 days so far and theoretically the withdrawal should be setting in. Im actually feeling pretty good. Im a little more tired than I normally am. I got a little irritable two days ago one night. Other than that i've been going to the gym for the last 2 days and plan on keeping up the trend. Ive been doing some light meditation as well. This stage is usually the easiest for me (going from 50 to 25mg). Im probably going to stay on 25mg for 6 weeks. After that im going to get 25mg pills (instead of 50mg pills) and take half of that 25mg pill so then ill be on 12.5 mg. ill plan on staying on that for another 6 or 8 weeks then ill go off completely.

Every time Ive gone off this medication (this is my third time) the results have been different so maybe this time will be easier. Who knows

Seek counseling with a different Physician if need be.
I have fired a few when encountering that feeling of not being listen to. Rushed thru.

You may want to wait until you are clean for a year before deciding a next move career wise.
Ive been contemplating military for the last 3 years. I know that I won't regret and that it can only help me in so many ways both physically and mentally. I would only be doing reserves. Even if I have some residual withdrawal symptoms going into both camp. The physical activity should help a lot. As for the mental side of things, that is a different story. Im pretty no-****s-giving and don't mind people yelling at me. If I do go into the military I will be off my meds for at least 6 months minimum or probably at least 8 months.

Does the military actually take people diagnosed with depression/anxiety disorders?
No you have to be off of it for a year however my recruiter knows and they and I know that I can function fine off of the medication.

No you have to be off of it for a year however my recruiter knows and they and I know that I can function fine off of the medication.
My hat is off to you my friend. I spent a career working at a VA hospital. You are dealing with this problem at the beginning I had to help Doctors deal with people who didn’t at the end.
I had my problem with Zoloft, and I knew the reality of this evil drug, it and Prozac which are given to countless young boys in school should be banned. And don’t get me started on Prince Valium, and Princess Diazepam.

Last edited:
My hat is off to you my friend. I spent a career working at a VA hospital. You are dealing with this problem at the beginning I had to help Doctors deal with people who didn’t at the end.
I had my problem with Zoloft, and I knew the reality of this evil drug, it and Prozac which are given to countless young boys in school should be banned. And don’t get me started on Prince Valium, and Princess Diazepam.
I think being conscientious is a big part of it. I am very aware of how this drug affects me and I know how it affects my mood and when it affects it as well. Lots of people just feel like they are going crazy but I understand that it isn't my fault and it is only the drugs that are making me feel this way.

I think being conscientious is a big part of it. I am very aware of how this drug affects me and I know how it affects my mood and when it affects it as well. Lots of people just feel like they are going crazy but I understand that it isn't my fault and it is only the drugs that are making me feel this way.
Take care Nick... stay in touch with yourself... never let go of that.

Be very careful some people leaving these evil drugs develop suicidal ideation. If you have any such thoughts there is plenty of instant help available.

Not ment to be a put down but I really don't think the Army will be right for you, at least at this time

Medical Errors Are the 3rd Leading Cause of Death in the U.S.
Only heart disease and cancer claim more lives than medical mistakes, according to a new study

"They looked at research going back to 1999 and calculated that an estimated 251,454 Americans a year die from medical errors in hospitals"

Kind of a flawed way to look at this. If the person is in the hospital they have a serious health issue (or more than one) in the first place!

Not trying to ignore the importance of medical errors, but those people were already very sick.

Sorry for the off topic tangent but it seemed worth mentioning.

I second that - never assume that you won’t be called up.
Two things
I qualify for every job in the military except two; nuclear engineer and some other fancy thing

I would be picking a technical job. The way my recruiter and uncle (15 years in the army) explained it, the army won’t train me to do a Technik job, and then just send me off to kill people. It’s a waste of money on their part. The only way that would happen is if I do my last 4 years as inactive, in which case they can draft me at anytime for any job that they need filled. I could be infantry or I could be a plumber. I plan on doing all 8 years of active reserves which means I keep my job for all 8 years.

As an SSRI, quitting regular use of Zoloft (chemical name Setraline in the US) can result in antidepressant discontinuation syndrome, i.e., withdrawal symptoms that are persistent and no effin' picnic to experience. You need to consult a shrink who understands SSRI withdrawal and can guide you throgh the process as safely as is possible. Some dangerous events can result from sudden or hasty cessation of SSRI meds, including, among other shit, brain seizures. Nothing to monkey around with, these chemicals. Really, seek the guidance of a qualified & experienced medical practitioner, preferable a certified psychatrist, in this endeavour. Past that, I wish you well in your resolve to quit taking Setraline.

Listen to Mystic. I did my cold turkey but working at a Hospital I had Lots of help. The biggest thing is some people have suicidal thoughts your brain chemistry is really screwed up. I cannot say it enough this is a evil drug.

I had a good friend who was in his backyard when the local sheriff helicopter flew over his house and stayed over his yard doing a thorough inspection of his pot plants. As soon as the helicopter left, he pulled them all up and drove somewhere to ditch them. A half an hour later the police were at his door. They were cordial and wanted a straight answer about where the plants went. He led them to it. They thanked him for not trying to hide them any longer. They left after saying that they would be back in touch. As the weeks and then months went by with no contact by the police, my friend slipped into a horrible state of depression that got worse and worse. He lost his job and almost his wife. He saw a shrink, who after a few unsuccessful tries with other drugs, finally settled on Zoloft. This was the one drug that helped my friend get his life back. I took nearly 3 years before he could handle working again. The police never did return.

This drug may be bad for some, but it was a wonder drug for my friend.

I had a good friend who was in his backyard when the local sheriff helicopter flew over his house and stayed over his yard doing a thorough inspection of his pot plants. As soon as the helicopter left, he pulled them all up and drove somewhere to ditch them. A half an hour later the police were at his door. They were cordial and wanted a straight answer about where the plants went. He led them to it. They thanked him for not trying to hide them any longer. They left after saying that they would be back in touch. As the weeks and then months went by with no contact by the police, my friend slipped into a horrible state of depression that got worse and worse. He lost his job and almost his wife. He saw a shrink, who after a few unsuccessful tries with other drugs, finally settled on Zoloft. This was the one drug that helped my friend get his life back. I took nearly 3 years before he could handle working again. The police never did return.

This drug may be bad for some, but it was a wonder drug for my friend.
But I bet his life would have been even better if the cops had left him alone to smoke his herb in peace...

Back
Top Bottom