sjsurman

Hey forum, I am very new to AK. I have a Dual 1229 with a slightly bent tonearm. Looks as though something heavy fell on it from above. There is a new old stock replacement tonearm part number 218 238, pictured, that I'm considering purchasing. It comes with the headshell and lead wires. Any tips/suggestions as to how I should go about replacing it? Do I have to remove the whole tonearm assembly or just the vertical-pivot screws/tracking-weight knob? Thank you!

Attachments

• tonearm.jpg
    tonearm.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 64
I have done this many times. You need to remove weight and set screw. Left-hand bearing needle. Right-hand needle, which is reverse-thread. Before you continue, un-solder the cables from the mute-switch and tie a heavy thread to the wire's end. Where the wires are pinched-down at a semi-circular shield-like steel piece, loosen the two [very short] screws and lift a bit to ease in getting the wires out.
The thing that you will have much difficulty with is getting the tracking force drum back in place PROPERLY, and setting the left-hand needle. ALSO, IF THE NEEDLES ARE NOT LINED-UP EXACTLY WITH THE CENTER OF THE TWO BEARINGS, AS YOU SNUG DOWN, YOU WILL RUIN THEM BY CRUSHING AND/OR DISLODGING THE BEARING CUP COVERS WHILE TIGHTENING THE NEEDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Thank you! Can it be performed on the plinth? And what size spanner wrench/driver can I use to loosen the right hand bearing needle screw?

You will need to gain access to both sides of the metal chassis.
The only thing that might come close to the correct wrench is a tiny scissors from the manicure kit in the top drawer in the bathroom. Where are you located?

You will need to gain access to both sides of the metal chassis.
The only thing that might come close to the correct wrench is a tiny scissors from the manicure kit in the top drawer in the bathroom. Where are you located?
Gotcha, I'm in Southern California, Riverside County. Thank you for your responses! Very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom