Tivoli Model One tuner fix

N8Nagel

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
This seems like a common issue from searching online... I contacted Tivoli and now it's fixed, without me having to send it in, or even disassemble. Figured I'd share.

After the person who responded to my initial email asked what issues I was having, I replied,
Hi S**,

it's just not pulling stations in well, it seems like I turn the dial, it starts tuning in a station, and then the tuning light comes on bright about where I'd expect the signal to be good but all audio is lost, it's like there's a static muting circuit or something that is kicking in when the station is actually tuned. Also removing my hand from the tuning knob seems to change the frequency to which the radio is tuned.

Thanks,

N***

His reply:

N***,

Before I set up a repair I'd like you to try something. Issues like that can typically be caused by the lubricant in the tuner settling overtime due to gravity. Please turn on the radio, turn the volume down completely, and aggressively rotate the tuning dial for 3-5 minutes. This will redistribute the lubricant which should take care of the issue. If this doesn't work, please fill out the attached RMA form and return it to me. I'll set up the repair from there.

Thanks,

S**

Well... it worked!

I don't know how or why, but it cost me maybe 5 minutes of my time, and now I am listening to my local NPR station loud and clear whereas I simply couldn't find it previously. I actually suspected it was dirt/dust in the tuner, who knows who's right, but following his instructions got my radio working well again.

I know that the Model One is alternately regarded as sounding surprisingly good for its size and also as being overpriced for a little table radio made in China from likely inexpensive components, but in any case it's nice to have it sitting on the counter in the kitchen so that I can listen to it. I do have a HDT-1X downstairs, but if I crank it up loud enough to hear in the kitchen, then you can hear it everywhere in the house :) Plus, it's working again and I didn't spend a cent, which makes me happy.

I'm glad that worked out. I got rid of a Tivoli 1 just for the problems you were having, but my neighbor really wanted it and I like him, so I guess that's ok. And then I bought a KLH Model Twentyone that I'm pretty happy with.

yup, it was your Twenty One post that prompted me to see if I could take my Model One apart and get it working - I couldn't, because I didn't have a standard Philips #1 screwdriver laying around (I usually use a Klein 11-in-1, but it won't fit in the recessed holes. The rest of my tools are in a storage locker... if you saw how many tools I own, you'd understand.) So I dropped Tivoli an email just to see what they'd say until I had a chance to retrieve my "real" screwdrivers, and it ended up being an easy fix. Figured it might help somebody... maybe your neighbor?

You're still probably not going to get your Model One back if he finds out you found an old Twenty One... :)

All Tivolis seem to do that and almost nobody knows how to fix it. I've put probably 12 of them in the hands of family and friends (and me) and most of them have needed the back and forth miracle cure. I have one PAL that doesn't respond to that fix so I'll contact Tivoli to see what they have to say. I'm glad that yours is back up and running.

Last edited:
Very Pleasantly Surprised and Impressed

Was preparing to contact Tivoli CS to discuss Model One problem described above. Read N8Nagel's post and decided to give it a try, albeit with confidence south of low.

Works like a charm.

Thank you very much.

I've had a PAL for several years with no issues, and I am also glad you posted this as it could save me from worry and bother someday. Thanks. I don't think they are overpriced; they sound so good and my PAL has a good feel to it in all aspects.

I'm going to go try that shortly. Just wondering if there's a technical reason they say to turn it on first. Is there something electronic going on internally other than the re-distribution of oil?

I have a Tivoli 1 that I bought new when it first came out. I bought it for my office. As I have been on disability since July 2010 it really hasn't seen much use. It's on my desk at home (which I never use). But tomorrow morning I'm going to check it out and see if it needs this quick fix. Thanks so much for pointing this out to everyone. It does sound remarkably good for its size, but it really looks cool!

Well, it does work. However, turning that smooth, tapered knob for 5 minutes straight results in some severe finger cramping after about 4 min.

Still curious if there's any reason for doing this with the radio on.

Well, it's only been two months... had to do it again... @#$%$ guess I should keep my eyes open for a Model Twenty-One, as anything significantly bigger won't really fit in the kitchen.

Meanwhile, my ancient Blaupunkt seems to require some Deoxit every five years or so (but is way too large for upstairs.)

A Model Two or any Tivoli that is stereo with the right speaker in a separate box makes a great bedside stereo. Put one channel on each night table with the speakers pointed at each other (and at you) and you've got a nice set of open air headphones. Plug an iPod in or run a wireless link from your main stereo as I have done.

I have a second Model Two packed up in a Sam Adams 12 bottle beer case that I call my "road stereo." I bring it on trips or on vacation and it provides really good music while taking up almost no room in the car.

I could never get mine to tune in my favorite station--91.9 her in Knoxville- because both internal and external dipole antenna wouldn't work. Then one day I turned the knob to around 95 or so and there was good ol' 91.9 clear as a bell. So may try this trick to see if 91.9 comes in where the dial says it should be

Thank you very much for posting this.

I had difficulty tuning my Tivoli Model Two for about a year and was about to give up on it.

I tried this suggestion and it worked like a charm!!!

Glad it worked for you.

Despite my previous annoyance at the "temporary" fix, my Model 1 was still playing fine as of Sunday morning when I was listening to it while cooking breakfast. So maybe I just didn't do it aggressively/long enough the first time?

I never found much appeal in a Tivoli.
Stupid priced and ONE speaker stereo... C'mon.
The less than adequate durability comes as No surprise.
Caveat Emptor Kids.

Well, I didn't pay list for mine... bought it used :). It is nice in areas with limited space like kitchen... doesn't sound bad for what it is.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

This is what's inside.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=6869459&postcount=19

Not sure how to apply the cleaning method to that. If there's a way to clean it once and for all, I'll try it.

What that is still a tuning capacitor, it's in a plastic case. It's something like this:
423.jpg

You need to get the contact cleaner inside the case. I think I tried this on my Proton clock radio and it worked. Inject the cleaner into one of the trim caps on the back. It should then get into the case. Then work the tuning back and forth across the scale 30 times. Should clean it. It is possible it may make the tuning caps drift and cause the stations to be off. If that happens, simply adjust the tuning trim cap (only one of them controls the oscillator) so a known station in mid dial comes in at the proper place on the dial. I see 4 trim caps on the Tivoli. 2 may be the FM 0scillator and AM oscillator and the other 2 are sensitivity adjustments, which are not as critical. You can determine which one is an oscillator adjustment by touching it with a metal screwdriver and see if it detunes the station. Then switch to AM and find the trimcap that affects the tuning for AM, then inject the cleaner through one of the other 2 trim caps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom