TMac83

Tmac83

So I been at AK for about 8 months now, so I guess I am fairly new compared to many here. I stumbled upon AK when I began to search for a vintage Marantz early this year. For about two years I had wanted to put together a vintage system. In October of last year I purchased a Marantz Model 6300 off the auction site as the first piece in that system. As I was doing research on the 22XX series Google led me to AK and I signed up and have been having a great time ever since.

As for my audio history, one of my earliest memories was of my parents Onkyo system from the early 80's, that had a cd player, which was a big deal for them at the time. I also remember going virtually every weekend with my dad to Best Buy to look at speakers and receivers. My first system was a open-box Sony 2-channel receiver, with a JVC 5-Disc cd player, and a pair of KLH bookshelf speakers. I remember going to pick it up for my 13th birthday and the checkout guy forgot to ring up the receiver. :yes:

Two Sony receivers later, and about to go to college, my Sony went into protection mode, and my dad said enough of this %&^*, and we went to the Hi-end audio store and picked up a Marantz SR-8000. He told me not to tell my mom, and if she found out to lie about how much it cost. :nono: I bought a pair of Paradigm mini-monitors off the auction site and I was happy as can be.

As many of you know I am a graduate student in psychology. I am not a "shrink" in training, most of my work deals with testing, specifically testing for learning disabilities in school-age children. I have a huge interest in screening for reading disabilities, as well as studying what causes reading disabilities. I hope one day, when I am finished with my education, to create screening instruments for learning disabled children that can detect problems as early as possible in order to get children help they need early so that problems which occur as a result of the learning disabilities have a chance of not developing as the child gets older. I am beginning my PhD this fall, and have moved to Philly from Iowa, which I expect to be quite a change. However, it will be fun getting to know a new place and making new friends.

Overall, I have really enjoyed my AK experience so far. One day, when I have a real job I plan to give back some of what I have taken to keep this site going. In 8 months I have learned so much, and one day I hope to know half as much as some of you know. I really hope one day that I can begin to learn how to do some major repairs (recapping for example) and restoration techniques myself. I also am going to make it a point to come AKFest this upcoming year so that I can meet everyone and put some faces with names.

Cheers!

TC

Good to meet you TC. Hope to hear more from you on the forums - if your studies allow. Great goals!

Bob

Alright, another Philly guy! :thmbsp: Welcome TC! In what area of the city are you?

I am living in Narberth

Thanks for the replies guys. Is there any kind of a PA AKfest gathering? I saw the East Coast one but I have a wedding to go to that weekend back in the ole Midwest. :banana: I have noticed on my couple of drives through PA that it is a beautiful state to drive through. I am excited to experience Philly and check out some of the high end stores as well as the record shops. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

TC

I am excited to experience Philly and check out some of the high end stores as well as the record shops. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

TC

Yeah...don't limit yourself to the city. Next month take a drive up to Kutztown for the antique radio fair at Renningers. LOADS of great gear there. I find nice stuff in Quakertown too.

For records, I like Siren in Doylestown those few times a year I can get there.

If you're really ambitious, the Lehigh Valley thrift stores occasionally have good music AND good gear to play it on.

I am living in Narberth

Thanks for the replies guys. Is there any kind of a PA AKfest gathering? I saw the East Coast one but I have a wedding to go to that weekend back in the ole Midwest. :banana: I have noticed on my couple of drives through PA that it is a beautiful state to drive through. I am excited to experience Philly and check out some of the high end stores as well as the record shops. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

TC
Yes, it's a great state to drive through. As long as you don't stop anywhere :D

Colortrakker had some good suggestions--I had forgotten about those places. Have to check them out again.

Thanks Dave.....I will very much miss my season tickets in the North Bleachers at Kinnick. However, I am going to the Penn State game as well as the Illinois game at Kinnick. GO HAWKS!!!

TC

Back
Top Bottom