To all you veterans out there, I salute you

I enjoyed my time and would do it again with no hesitation. (4 years USN; cryptographic repair) In my case it was no 'Band of Brothers' and I was never in direct danger, but I went where I was ordered and did my job to the best of my ability. I appreciate the gestures I've received over the years but I don't feel entitled to anything more than what my contract stated. I'm confident that everything that I've learned/experienced in uniform has been of immeasurable value in my life and have nothing but positive thoughts about my enlistment.

Its all good. I signed up to do 4, learn a good skill and go back home. 26 yrs later I retired. I don't feel entitled to anything either. Never took part in the free meals, free give aways or even free cup of coffee. I understand that some want to show their appreciation. I was offered a meal once. Told them to please give it to someone less fortunate. The military and the training I received provided me with the ability to live a comfortable life.

Pic of my dad on return to England from a bomb run over Germany.....his landing gear would not function due to being hit by flack so had to belly land.
He is second in from the left. He was 23 years old and a Command Pilot for flying B-17's during WWII.
He just passed away this past Friday....made it to 96 years old!

2415084844_56d26dfd65_z (2).jpg

Lucky fellow, your dad. A brave one as well.

A share. Took in the Army/Navy club on Sat after the ceremonies, and ended up with a 96 year old past soldier who had made it back from the Sicily/Italy Campaign of WWII.

Anyways, there he was, socking back the beer, sharing some of the past exploits during this hectic time, but not going into any great detail. He mentioned that time dulls the pain, but details bring it back...so no details. He was sharp as a tack holding his own as we bantered with some of the "Jumpers" who were at the table, trying to put the "grunts" on the ground down. It was all in fun. Some of the boys from "The Sandbox" added to the fray with a newer take on events in the past five or six years. It was a night to remember.

Q

Back
Top Bottom