To bi-amp or not to bi-amp???

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by kln138, May 3, 2017.

1. Flatwounds

Flatwounds AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just beamed my ADS 910 with an active crossover on Sunday night and I have not stopped listening. Mc225 top/mid Mc2100 bottom. The improvement is fantastic.

nedseg likes this.
  2. Mike Gibson

Mike Gibson Modulator Super Mod Subscriber

Those who have not tried are missing out on something that can be wonderful. What's not to like about having the ability to dial your speakers in to your own particular taste? I've tried crossover settings from the 800Hz. that Altec chose for Valencias up to 1200Hz. I've left it at 1000Hz. after many hours of trials.

Flatwounds likes this.
  3. shelly_d

shelly_d Not An Audiophool

Which has the effect of removing the woofer from the rest of the crossover.

Shelly_D

4. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Indeed. Just the way it was worded came across, to me anyway, like there was some sort of extra special modification necessary.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  5. shelly_d

If the speaker did not have the separate LF and HF terminals, there would be. I assume that you already knew that.

Shelly_D

6. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

No. I've been bluffing for years. All I have is an AM mono clock radio.

More seriously though, yes, that's why I found the comment confusing since removing the jumpers would be common knowledge. I wouldn't expect someone would connect two amps to one set of terminals.

7. shelly_d

AHA! I JUST KNEW IT !:bigok:

8. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Yeah, lots of posers around here. They usually can spot another across the room. :rflmao:

9. kln138

kln138 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Got the MC60's in yesterday. They are absolutely beautiful. They were restored and upgraded by Vintage Vacuum Audio in 2015. Found a great deal on a Marchand XM9 crossover. Making a list to order up cables and parts for my speaker mod. I'm excited about this project!!

Flatwounds likes this.
  10. kln138

11. Seamaster

Seamaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

Check for chassis sag (top plate), it is very common on MC60 and MC30, especially MC60.

12. kln138

Lengthwise across the top of the chassis at the center point one has an 1/8" inch gap and the other 1/4" gap. I'm 60 years old and my chassis is sagging in places too.

13. Flatwounds

Flatwounds AK Subscriber Subscriber

I am still tweaking. It's at 500 hz now. It really is a very nice improvement. I will probe;y invest in a better crossover at some point. The Ashly is a bit of a weak link, I think. I didn't want to spend too much at first but I am really enjoying the sound and I believe a better crossover would improve the sound even more.