To clean scratchy controls.....

Do NOT buy that Rat Shack crap!! You'll end up having to clean it out in addition to the original dirt and gunk.

Parts Express is a handy place to snag some if no one carries it locally for you.

I usually blast a switch/pot/whatever with a good plain-jane cleaner, and follow up with the DeOxit. The DeOxit is kinda spendy for washing out controls, but will do fine if you don't want to use a two step process.

The RS Cleaner and Lube is made by Caig I have been told. If the spray is red is is fine to use. The clear stuff is not good.

I used the RS stuff it is different than what is pictured and it worked fine for me so far.

The cleaner pictured in the original post sprays out an obnoxious oily mess. I don't think anyone here wants that gunk in their gear.

I haven't bought Rat Shack cleaner in years...who knows, they may actually sell someting decent nowadays, but since I have a source for the good stuff, why bother.

The RS tuner cleaner that sprays red is Caig Deoxit and Caig Lube in one can according to someone who has been doing this for close to 40 years. I have never had a problem or suffered from residues or anything else, but you have to get the one that is cleaner and lube and is red.
The other will clean but without the lube the graphite or what ever it is inside the pots will dry out.
If you know you will be getting a cleaner and lube soon you can use a small amount of WD-40 to get you through till you get your cleaner in.
Caig DeOxit is a great cleaner but you have to have the lube spray as well or the pots will dry out and can end up worse than before as then cleaning and lubing will not fix the problem. The coating that creates the resistance can rub off if it is dried out.
A can of Caig lube will last through up to 6 cans of DeOxit, but to get it done quick the RS spray is fine, but it is wastefull.
Not all stores carry the red spray so make sure before buying.

I used this Rat shack stuff for a while and had nuthing but problems. Hell even Partsexperss Rid-Ox is way better IMO.

Back
Top Bottom