To Equalize or Not to Equalize

Te-Te

Learning never exhausts the mind. - da Vinci
Subscriber
I'm wondering what are people's thoughts on using an equalizer in their system. I have always used one for recording and making sound adjustments for my speakers in odd shaped rooms. I'm wondering how people feel about the use of an Equalizer.

I'm wondering what are people's thoughts on using an equalizer in their system. I have always used one for recording and making sound adjustments for my speakers in odd shaped rooms. I'm wondering how people feel about the use of an Equalizer.
As I listen to my music via a networked PC, I use a software EQ everyday, all day. I know that there are "flat" purists out there and that may work for them in their room and with their ears, but in my case, a boost in the bass frequencies below 35 Hz and in the midrange frequencies brought my music "to life" and has made listening to every album sheer bliss. I live in a post-war (1948) brick cape cod home with hard plaster walls. Non-eq'd playback sounds utterly sparse, if not lifeless, as a "flat" setting eliminates the presence of just about every element of the track minus the human voice and snare drum strikes. Thus, for me, usage of an EQ is a conditional must for music to be truly enjoyable.

P.S.: Welcome to AK, Te-Te.

Hotly debated topic for sure. IMO, and it is just my opinion, EQ can be effective when used "properly"--meaning that is is used for room correction. If you start using it to compensate for "inadequate" or "poor performing" gear/speakers, then you are down the road to that slippery slope of the "DJ smile" curve--trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. "Synergy" (do a search on that) is very real--some stuff does not play well with others and does not work in certain environments--regardless of cost or placement in the "food chain". And ultimately--it only matters if it sounds good to YOU.

8fc6c24d-bc95-3b9b-8dae-754c343b0f36

Equalizer ... :idea: ... when I was a kid, remember seeing them at Radio Shack. There was one in the 1983 movie Risky Business ... old school, something your dad had? ... was the impression I got at the time.

When I bought my first stereo in 1984 ... don't recall seeing any hooked up for demo ... did they go away w/ the introduction of CD format?

Anyway ... 34 years of playing stereos ... never used one.

Last edited:
I want EQ which functions like a tool. Not like a Toy. I want something which is transparent when flat, which does not add hiss, hum, distortion, or phase artifacts. Which mortals can afford. Which keeps nice sounding systems nice, and does not make them sound like anything else. Until that time comes, no EQ for me outside the studio. I want something which functions like the Cello Audio Palette design, which is very functional and transparent. At a price point average folks can afford. Digital I don't want in my signal path when analog is being listened to.

At the point where you think you need an EQ, you likely have some issue that's bothering you enough that you're willing to spend some $ to add another component.

In my case, I felt my highs were just a bit too rolled off for me, but in every other way, I was happy with the sound. I had tried many sets of speakers in my room, and even though some had more high end, they had deficiencies in other areas that I couldn't overlook. I finally bit the bullet and bought an EQ to boost the highs just a bit. I was pleased with the result. While I knew it could be slightly degrading the sound, I couldn't hear any degradation and only appreciated the problem it addressed.

Later, I ended up trying another pair of speakers a friend spoke very highly of. They had better highs, but without taking away from any other area. So I replaced my speakers and removed the EQ as I no longer needed it.

So while I would have preferred not to have one originally, it solved a problem for me and prevented me from having to continue to cycle through speakers just to address one area that I could address with an EQ.

So, bottom line, I like them if you need them, but if you can get your desired sound without them, that's even better.

I see you make recordings, so I'd assume you can take reading of your room? What kind of problems are you having that you feel an EQ can fix?

first thing to realize is even with just a bass and treble knob, you can manipulate 3 frequencies , the components chosen treble freq, bass freq, and the stationary mid freq, that can be boosted by a below flat setting on bass or treble, don't be afraid to use extreme setting of boost or reduction on the 2 knobs, that is all a loudness control does is wrap your knobs around for you, than you get another twist on the settings, pulling speakers out is another physical eq adjustment , also highs position can change treble. now what is your listening concerns in your system. I used reduction eq to dial out problem frequencies for 30 years in live sound. they are factual numbers relating to sounds that can be tracked and manipulated for improvement if you know your frequencies. I always reduce the problem, never never boost anything above 0. use the amp and preamp power to bring you flat and above, that's the correct way , reduction of problems not boosting, unless you want instant gratification and air.

In my particular situation, My systems have alway's been Analog. I've never had Digital anything. I mostly make Duplicate Cassette Copies for friends, usually of old concert recordings that were swapped, traded with other people way back when. No idea what equipment they used so some recordings just don't sound their best. So on an occasion I will make slight adjustments to my liking. Someone else may not like the sound so they can tweak to their liking. Also my rooms are not exactly ideal for speaker placement. So for me if I need to tweak I do, if I don't I won't.

In my particular situation, My systems have alway's been Analog. I've never had Digital anything. I mostly make Duplicate Cassette Copies for friends, usually of old concert recordings that were swapped, traded with other people way back when. No idea what equipment they used so some recordings just don't sound their best. So on an occasion I will make slight adjustments to my liking. Someone else may not like the sound so they can tweak to their liking. Also my rooms are not exactly ideal for speaker placement. So for me if I need to tweak I do, if I don't I won't.
old tapes are a diff deal . didn't realize that .

old tapes are a diff deal . didn't realize that .
I appreciate everyone's input. Truly! That's the point of having a discussion. I Really Do Appreciate everyone's input, and Love of Audio. That's why I Finally joined AK. I love this place!!!

Last edited:
Without measuring, EQ is only fun. Without EQ, you have no baseline of "flat" to adjust to taste or to a recording from.

So, for me: Always EQ everything to baseline, record settings, but only via measuring.

Back
Top Bottom