To fix or not to fix? Sansui G-9700

A great peice of equipment has high S/N ratio and a low THD percentage.....quiet circuitry !

G9700 phono snr is 78 db which is very good. Line level is 95 db, also good. Also nothing wrong with 0.02% distortion. The Gx700 series of receivers are more plastic than some of the older G series from Sansui and not as impressive build quality but they sound very very nice. They succeeded in what's important, being sound quality. As receivers go they're keepers.

G9700 phono snr is 78 db which is very good. Line level is 95 db, also good. Also nothing wrong with 0.02% distortion. The Gx700 series of receivers are more plastic than some of the older G series from Sansui and not as impressive build quality but they sound very very nice. They succeeded in what's important, being sound quality. As receivers go they're keepers.

I'm sorry, but S/N Ratio is best as close to a hundred as possible. Decibles in the low eighties starts to begin to be good and great in the nineties decibel range. Also 0.02 distortion is too noisy and 0.002% is great ! But for the time period it's understandable. But that's not the point....the point is if you have a receiver with such inherent noise in the circuitry a set of sensitive speakers will reveal that noise in the music. With that receiver I wouldn't use speakers with a sensitivity over 88db because of maintaining separation and definition in detail. A more sensitive speaker of 88db or over will have allot of background noise and seem bright. It's just a matter of choosing the right speakers and nothing about the receiver. It's a good receiver if matched with the right speakers and just continually buying speakers until you find something that works will not work for most people. It is a decent receiver....

at first I thought you weren't smokin crack

You have to analyze the signal to noise ratio as in the noise created by the circuitry. You have the music signal that is passing through the circuit, then you have the noise created by the solder joints and the combined noise from all the components in that circuit. Then the more circuits you have feeding into the amplifier the more noise going to the speakers along with the music signal. The higher the amount of music signal passing through the circuit the lower amount of circuit noise can be heard. The noise in a circuit is known as....THD.....total harmonic distortion. So an amplifier with an S/N ratio of 80db is going to be quiter than an amplifier with a S/N ratio of 60db. Also having a THD of 0.015 in comparison to 0.15 means a big difference in the amount of distortion in the circuit. You can tell when you listen to the music. If all the instruments sound like they are all blended together coming from the same place...the total harmonic distortion is high. If the instruments sound distant from one another that’s called separation and an indication of quiet circuits. Then if you use speakers of a higher sensitivity like at least 90db you will have the sound like the instruments are in the room with you.

I’m sorry but most people don’t understand “Technical Specifcations” of a piece of stereo equipment. To include many on this site, most here just like what they like and have no idea how to make the sound better and better over time. You see, group participation is generally based on monkey see....monkey do. They don’t know why something is better, they just know how someone else did something and it worked for them so you have a couple hundred people copying what was done by a smarter person. That’s why so many members use this site.....

I’m sorry if I offended you and the G9700 was great when it first came out....you should checkout the Luxman R-115 and a pair of Yamaha NS-2000 speakers....the sound will bring tears to your eyes !

And please realize that the American military complex is just trying to sell more weapons to the world and NK is just part of the advertisements !

'S/N ratio', 'THD' and 'separation' are all slightly different, to a greater or lesser degree, but are linked in one way or another - so, I get where you are coming from. ;)

Last edited:
The Sansui G9700 is an old receiver so fixing it is determined by the basic condition of the unit you have. The first Sansui G-9700 I got off Ebay was an absolute dog. Rusted, beat up inside to the point my technician said it simply wasn't worth fixing at any price. So I wanted a Sansui G-9700 bad. So I much more careful and hard core vigilant when I brought another second Sansui G-9700 receiver. Now my second Sansui G-9700 was as close to mint as it was possible to get. Now I provided my service people with two relays because, these units are know for relay failure. Beyond that my old Sansui G-9700 only needed to have its loose solder redone and old electrolytic caps replaced. The sound stage was rebuilt so it would function. All in all they just wanted $435.00 which was a steal. I had a Hitachi SR-2004 in good shape that cost $700.00 to repair. I had a Pioneer SX-1280 that cost a whopping $1,500 to repair.

Repairing and or restoring vintage receivers costs money that fact just is part of enjoying this hobby. You try to find vintage systems in the best shape so it will cost less when doing the rehab \ update \ restore. The Sansui G9700 is 200 Watts Per Channel into 8 Ohms. The sound of a Sansui G-9700 is awesome and no where near average. The Sansui G-9700 is overall a beautiful unit that sounds better than it looks. My Sansui G-9700 is still with the restoration professionals but, it will be the jewel of my collection.

Sansui G9700b.jpg

Here is my new baby Sansui G9700 he is back from the restoration people has a bulb out they need to see to later. I'm disabled so they will need to fix that bulb later. My folks told me it receiver is safe to use until I can come in to get the bulb replaced. So please enjoy my new Sansui G-9700 pictures uploaded below. One picture shows my Sansui G9700 by itself and the other picture shows most of the vintage components my Sansui G-9700 is connected to.

Sansui G9700a.jpg

Attachments

• Sansui G9700a.jpg
    Sansui G9700a.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Sansui G9700b.jpg
    Sansui G9700b.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Sansui G9700b.jpg
    Sansui G9700b.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 7
Back