To the Technics bashers...

Since I've posted the initial note I've kept the SA800 at 3 1/2 on volume (about all I can take) and I glanced back to see a ceiling lamp slowly turning.

Walk over and holy cats, the heat is BOILING out of the top. Pop the top quickly - whew, all is OK - just the output transistor radiators doing the job. Can't touch 'em - I forgot how hot these power sections get when you take 'em out for some exercise. It would be neat to see the home power meter spin with an SA1000 shaking the walls!

Guys, let's remember to keep these beasts well ventilated!!

Volume at 3 1/2 sound like 1/3 rated power real torture on an amp section, if you play at 1/3 power for more than an hour it's doing what it can to dissapate all that heat, it'll run cooler cranked up.
peace,Craig

This is very old, but can someone elaborate on this? So basically technics run wayy too hot compared to other brands?

what's the thing about 1/3 power rating. how much should you play it at to keep it relatively cool then?

True story: my 1st CDP was an Akai. It caused horrible interference with radio and TV. It skipped if you sneezed in the room. The technics CDP OTOH could be turned sideways and still play. No interference, and much more solidly built. Technics cassette decks could be quite nice and the Sl1200 was a bargain tank that would sound very nice for little cash.

Just bought a Technics sa 5170 receiver for $5 because the seller said it didnt power up
Bulbs were just blown Powered up fine
A few shots of deox later and it sounds like a champ
I really like how easy it is to get to their pots for cleaning
3 bulbs from dave and some wood glue on the cabinet and it will shine again

Hi all,

I can't understand why Technics receivers do not gather so much interest like other brands do. I got one SA300 a while back for $60, one channel was dead and it had some scratchy pots. Not surprising in a unit storaged for 20 yeas or so under unknown condition, right?

Got the receiver professionally serviced. The unit was completly cleaned, tuner aligned, all joints and wiring inspected and got the controls deoxidized and lubricated. All the other components were running as per manufacturer specs. No need for recaps or anything. Ended up paying $150 but the receiver was back to its glory running for a year now without issues.

I honestly think that the design of these Tecnichs is very elegant with the cleanest look of the "era". The phono stage is pretty decent, running a Pioneer Pl-530 and driving a modest Polk Audio speakers pair very efficiently. Some components could be better, but there is always a compremise, for the price range it is very decent.

Recently I purchased a Pioneer SX 780, all reviews and opinions claim it as a better and it certainly looks very cool with the VU meters swinging around. But I tend to gravitate around the technics, I prefer the sound, knobs feel smother and it even looks better.

Long story short, i have been playing guitar for quite few years now. also, built tube amp, effects, cables along with other basic gadgets. Anyway, I cant find a reason to complain about my fairly modest stereo system and Guitar guys can be very nutty in regard to tone and general sound and I can listen old Stones vinyls for hours.

Cant figure why there is so much bashing around Technics...

Last edited:
I have the smaller brother, SA-400, and I love it! I take it out and exercise it from time to time. It will definitely work those HPM-100's!

SA 1000 most powerful receiver ever made I think at 330w...The later 80's power amps the SE-A100 the SE-A5000 are amongst the very best yes VERY BEST power amps to have come out of Japan. Vfets included.

I'd love to have one. They are rare and still command big bucks...

Sent from my XT925

Nothing wrong with Technics.

If it sounds good...it is good!

It's that simple.

I've got a mid-80s Techinics EQ that even went through a volcano and it functions just fine. It's bullet proof.

I've also got an old mid 80's Hitachi mini-component 15W amp in my closet that I just don't have the heart to get rid of. It sounds... Outrageous!! It really does. So do the speakers to the system! It's kind of a jaw dropping sound really. Just plug in a cheapo $15 portable Chinese CD player from 'Big Lots' and it sounds simply wonderful.

I should set-it-up! If fact, I think I will in the guest bedroom. :)

I've got a 1989 mid line Sony amp I bought new, nothing special, but it sure 'IS special'...sounds fantastic. It's a keeper!!!

I used to have a full Technics stereo. The system sounded fine except for the technics box speakers. They just kept breaking down. I changed out the individual speakers so many times but it just would never sound right. Bad speakers. But get some ARs, or KLHs and it would of sounded really nice.

If it sounds really good ... it ' IS ' really good! It's that simple. It's all in the sound, the feeling, and the good vibrations coming out of the speakers. That's it.

Last edited:
Technics receivers with one or two model exceptions tended to be either STK loaded or had issues with selector switches and pots. The 1973-1976 era tended to be the best for them. The separates in the R&B Series were their best components ever.

I asked this early in the life of this thread, and still haven't really gotten an answer, so I'll ask it again: who (or where) are these Technics bashers?
I think that it's reasonable to specify that comments disagreeing with the claim that the Technics SL 1200 is the greatest table ever are not bashing -- not genuflecting isn't equivalent to trashing.
Otherwise I don't see much criticism of Technics -- certainly some people don't care for the receivers that had ICs for the amp section, but those people don't like other manufacturers' similar recievers.
I kind of suspect that what is being complained about is the lack of collector cachet attached to Technics stuff. In which case, join the club -- how do you think Nikko, Rotel, or other lesser known makers' fans feel?
There is no explaining why some things are more valued than others -- certainly there are utterly mundane Marantz components, and out standing Nikko components, but that won't make anyone pay Marantz prices for a Nikko.

I have a near mint technics sa 550

I paid $ 12.50 for it 5 years ago.

Works like new - no stk

70 wpc

Powers a pair of speakerlab das 7 speakers.

Deep bass

Works and sounds great

I kind of suspect that what is being complained about is the lack of collector cachet attached to Technics stuff.

I think you are correct. There are some very dedicated Technics fans, but there are other brands that seem to be desired by more people. Not sure why that is, but it doesn't matter to me. When I purchased my Technics system in 1977, I chose it over other makes and models because I liked the sound, the looks, and the price. I didn't worry about how popular it might or might not be 35-40 years later. :)
I will say that I get the impression there are more Technics fans in Europe than in the U.S. I don't know if that's true, or why it would be, but that's my impression.

Of course it's worth pointing out that for Technics fans, lack of collector interest and whatever bashing there might actually be keeps prices low and makes it possible to amass a fine collection.

Of course it's worth pointing out that for Technics fans, lack of collector interest and whatever bashing there might actually be keeps prices low and makes it possible to amass a fine collection.
You don't say. :D

Simply because i like them, i have the series including SA-101, 202, 303, 404, 505, 616, and 818, actually have pairs of most of them. I rotate one into the workshop system every now and then. The 101 thru 505 use STK's, the 616 and 818 are discrete. I am often impressed how good the 404 and 505 sound, they are far from poor implementations of the STK modules.

I know and love Technics the same time I know what 'HiFi' means..
I live close to a Technics Showroom, and spent most of my free times there.. normally whole day saturdays listening to every single unit of their setups..One of the reasons why I fall in love with Technics products.
Now that I can afford it, I have a few collections.
First Technics I bought was the SL-D2 on a very limited student budget way back in 1981.. then came the SU-V4K, then SU-V7K. RS-M14 was my first tape deck.
Final amplifier bought was SU-900MK2.
Another two tables were bought, the SL-5 and SL-2000.
Honestly I am still looking for more but kinda difficult to get from where I am, Malaysia. I guess not many owners wanna sell them and if they do (local forum/trade) all were snapped up in no time!
Still longing to own Technics RTR, the RS-1500... Next to impossible to get it locally here.. buying elsewhere(ebay), the shipping will cost a bomb!
Why I like/love Technics?
They look great(styling) and sound great too! ;)

In my opinion,Technics were right up there with the very best of 'em (perhaps even top 3),sure in the 80's and especially 90's they produced a lot of BPC,but no more so than other top Japanese companies.Even at these not so good economic times they were still producing real hi-end gear,which was much more difficult to find,some was even built to order.

Not forgetting too,that a lot of their lower-end gear in the 80's and 90's was still superbly built/reliable,and most of it was still been made in Japan,which is more than can be said for a lot of others.Their Japanese made TOTL mini systems throughout the 90's were superb sounding,and their build quality was awesome.As for collectability,all Technics gear seems to be sought after over here,thus fetches good money.

The 70's pro series Technics SE-9600/SU-9600/ST-9600 power-amp/pre-amp/tuner are scheduled to arrive later today (fingers crossed),can't wait to compare it to the Pioneer Spec 1/Spec 4 :music:

The open reel RS 1500 and RS 1800 and the best of the DD turntables and the SE 9600/SU 9600/ST 9600 are Technics claim to US fame. The company is best known for turntables and tape machines to a lesser extent. The receivers and integrateds were at their best excellent, but many also which lived shorter lives due to being more far out in their designs with proprietary parts. Switch gear was a common issue on Technics receivers in the SA series, even the SA 800 and SA 1000 (both the most desirable of the receivers). Tuner sections in this era were outstanding and their sonics were. Saw lots of these with bad tape monitor/high/low filter switches as early as 2 years old or less. I love them when working well and switches good.

so many have never heard a Technics sp 15 turntable with an EPA 250 arm and an audio technica AT150MLX.......this WILL give most other tables a run for their money....trust me I know....now If I can only get back the STANTON 981LZS i once had....

I've been comparing the Technics SE-9600/SU-9600 pre-amp/power-amp combo to the Pioneer Spec 1 pre-amp/Spec 4 power-amp combo.
The Technics pairing wins hands down for sound quality according to my ears,more depth,better/clearer resolution.

As for build quality,the Pioneer Spec gear doesn't come close! All metal knobs with grub screws on the Technics pre-amp (and there are loads of 'em).
The Technics power-amp is slightly smaller in size to the Pioneer Spec 4 power-amp,but still seems heavier.Again it's certainly better built with all metal knobs/grub screws.
Overall,I'd say that these Technics pro components must rate as the best built gear I've ever owned.The sheer weight of the Technics power-amp alone is very surprising,especially considering it's more compact/smaller than the Pioneer Spec 4 power-amp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom