To the Technics bashers...

The open reel RS 1500 and RS 1800 and the best of the DD turntables and the SE 9600/SU 9600/ST 9600 are Technics claim to US fame. The company is best known for turntables and tape machines to a lesser extent. The receivers and integrateds were at their best excellent, but many also which lived shorter lives due to being more far out in their designs with proprietary parts. Switch gear was a common issue on Technics receivers in the SA series, even the SA 800 and SA 1000 (both the most desirable of the receivers). Tuner sections in this era were outstanding and their sonics were. Saw lots of these with bad tape monitor/high/low filter switches as early as 2 years old or less. I love them when working well and switches good.

Don't forget some of the "Phase Linear" speakers. I love my SB-L200's, and they weren't even close to the top of that line.

so many have never heard a Technics sp 15 turntable with an EPA 250 arm and an audio technica AT150MLX.......this WILL give most other tables a run for their money....trust me I know....now If I can only get back the STANTON 981LZS i once had....

I'm sure you mean listening to something played on the turntable.
Because if you can "hear" a turntable, something's wrong with it.

I've never understood the lack of love on these boards for Technics. I remember good stuff, and they were some of the best looking too.

My personal lack of love comes from remembering how excruciating it was dealing with Matsushita when I used to do warranty repairs for them. Masters of passive-aggressive relations with repair people. Worse than doing Sony warranties, if that's possible.

I've got two Technics turntables that have given me solid service and I think they're both great.
The worst speakers I ever heard were a pair of Technics 3-ways.
So, they earned respect and contempt for different reasons for different products, and I don't know why they made those speakers, but they never should have.

I'll agree, Technics speakers arn't nice to my ears.
I'll stick to my Advents.

But their amp technology, particularly their "SVI" amps is simply sweet.
The SVI amps in my opinion, sound like tube amps, and their reliability over the decades is proof of their good design.

The United States had the bad fate of getting a lot of really, really cheap speakers branded under the label "Technics". Most of them weren't even original Technics productions, but special versions exclusively designed for the USA, Canada and Russia.
Here's one such example:
speak_2.jpg

These are Technics SB-A52. Extremely cheap and poorly made things. You would never find them in Europe or Japan because they were not made for these markets.

Real Technics speakers (that do sound good!) look like this:
1-3.jpg

(SB-10)

Or like this:
sb-e500.JPG

(SB-E500)

Or maybe like this:
afp1000-thater.jpg

(SB-AFP1000)

Believe me, there are hundreds of other examples for good speakers by this brand that sound good.

I have an SU-8600 with the fisher100s speakers and I can not say enough good things about it. I picked it up in a trade and had it restored to original specs. To get that kind of quality today would cost thousands

This lack of love for certain items is with everything in life. One of those things so hard to stomach at times but we all have to live with. Most people just go with the flow and love what they love, others feel the need to bash things they do not know or understand who knows why. Go to any forum they are lurking everywhere.

I'll agree, Technics speakers arn't nice to my ears.
I'll stick to my Advents.

But their amp technology, particularly their "SVI" amps is simply sweet.
The SVI amps in my opinion, sound like tube amps, and their reliability over the decades is proof of their good design.

Amen :thmbsp:

I've got a pair of Technics SB-10 speakers that are excellent. Granted, they are not your typical Technics speaker:no:

I've also got an SU-V8 that I quite like but it does need a little work.

I haven't been on the forum long, so I haven't really noticed the Technics bashing. I realize that most people are inclined toward certain brands and that they tend to search for fault in others. If you really want to see brand hostility, just join a photography forum.

As for me, I've got a Technics SA-600 and SL-1300 that I'm very happy with. However, I just bought a Marantz 6300 and will probably buy a Marantz receiver to accompany it. Regardless, I'm still going to keep the Technics system for my bedroom listening. It sounds wonderful and works every time I turn it on.

Okay.. update// this thread started in 2008.. grow up.. and even when it started? It should have been deleted for being stupid. When you have nothing to listen to... a portable transistor radio sounds pretty damned good. In my book anything above that works for me.

I've got a pair of Technics SB-10 speakers that are excellent. Granted, they are not your typical Technics speaker:no:
I absolutely agree, for I have them too. I would never ever give them away—unless I get a pair of SB-1000, SB-E500 or SB-8000 in turn!:yes:

I absolutely agree, for I have them too. I would never ever give them away—unless I get a pair of SB-1000, SB-E500 or SB-8000 in turn!:yes:

I have the SB 6

Phenomenal performer.... Those SB 10 speakers must be unreal... Nodal drive with a coil diameter seldom known in anything

Lost count of the times in perth those resulted in police attendance..

For speakers, they weren't nervous at all and delivered crystal clarity at concert levels... 2 pairs on the A3MK2 was stellar

I have the SB 6

Phenomenal performer.... Those SB 10 speakers must be unreal... Nodal drive with a coil diameter seldom known in anything

Lost count of the times in perth those resulted in police attendance..

For speakers, they weren't nervous at all and delivered crystal clarity at concert levels... 2 pairs on the A3MK2 was stellar

As for the SVI - based amps, I really think Technics had, and still has, a best kept secret to that design.
It's never been copied, and though pricey to replace when one goes bad, I've never heard a bad performing SVI amp.

My Technics SA-R277 receiver with the SVI3204 amp chip puts out a solid 60W per channel, and never seems to labor.

Of course, a little tweaking helps - cooling fan modifications, bigger filter caps in the power supply.

I haven't been on the forum long, so I haven't really noticed the Technics bashing. I realize that most people are inclined t
That's becasue there are none to notice.

Its kinda cute; a thread addressed to "Technics Bashers" is populated entirely by appreciators. There doesn't seem to be any bashers around.

Last edited:
I'll bash a little the chips are a pita to desolder and replace the traces are so thin you always tear atleast one. discrete transistor designs sound better to me. finding a replacement amplifier chip that isn't a counterfeit is a real treat. but all jokes aside technics turntables are frigging awesome i have several. oh yeah most technics speakers are cheaply made crap not all though. I love the honeycomb designs. I would love an sa-1000 330wpc@8ohms 0.03%total harmonic distortion all discrete design woot.

Back
Top Bottom