To Zobel or not to Zobel, that is the Question!

PR Audio

Guys, I am making a 520Hz 2-Way 2nd Order XO for a pair of speakers I designed. Until now they have been connected to an active XO, but want the versatility of being able to move them around and use just one amp.

I already have the components, the XO will incorporate a -4dB L-Pad for the highs. My question is simple, should I do a Zobel for the woofer? As a general rule, without going into the specifics, when would I use a Zobel Network? The XO was carefully designed according to the Ohms curve of each driver at 520Hz.

Should I go with a Zobel, or not? Therefore less components.

Zobels are generally used as a type of EQ, in order to tame impedance response peaks. So, the use of a Zobel is entirely dependent on the woofer, and how it measures, once the speakers are complete. Also, take a look at any response plots provided by the manufacturer. If the impedance plots look pretty clean, I doubt you'd need a Zobel. Do the same thing for the tweeter too. They can have nasty peaks, that a Zobel can improve.

Good luck.

In terms of cost, one resistor and cap per driver. Pretty minimal really.

In principal I think that anything that helps keep the impedance curve on a driver flat can't be a bad thing and can only help, both in how the driver responds/interacts with the crossover and the load on the amp.

My Speakerlab's had a Zobel on the woofers from the factory, later I added one to the mids. I figured that for the small extra cost there wasn't much of a downside and that it could only help.

I used Woofer Tester 2 to do the calculating and then compared it to what the mid manufacturer recommended. Matched exactly.

Cheers,
James

Back
Top Bottom