Today The Pig Starts A New Career

Congratulations, Mr. Pig. I say great job man! It's not easy going back to school as a non-traditional student and getting through a program. The college I work at averages less than a 30% success rate. I'm at a point where I am eyeballing the same change. I asked my boss for a switch to evening and weekend support; I told her I wanted to go back to school at 50 and pursue another degree. She laughed at me and told me I was too valuable (yadda yadda yadda) but I'm not done with it. I'm getting fed up with the daily IT grind and my blood pressure is not where it needs to be. I'm having stomach problems and all the tell-tale signs of a carrier that needs to take another path. So my journey might just be beginning. Hat's off to the man who made it to the top of the mountain.

The great hiatus is over? I can't wait for my morning dose of swine ...

This position I took is a one year non-permanent. That tends to be a way this dept creates a pathway for new hires, as it gives them an extended evaluation period. At my old job we had 90 day wonders, as anyone could be a superstar for 3 months. They say the conversion rate from this position is 60 to 70%, so those are not bad odds for landing a position with the DOR. Of course once you can prove the ability to learn Washington state tax laws and RAC, it shows a whole bunch of other state agencies your ability to function in their organization. So it is viewed as a realistic first step into employment in the public sector. So I am a competitive kind of person, and have faith in my abilities, so I am betting that I am going to be able to succeed and land a full time permanent position in one of the agencies, if not this one right here.

Time to walk the doggies. They are the ones who got it rough, getting their walk at 6AM instead of 8 AM. The wiener dog is not appreciative at getting up in the dark of AM.

Cheers
Mister Pig

congrats! reinvention is tough and supportive spouse is a huge help. been there; my latest job has turned out to be a good one--hope same is true for you.

Back
Top Bottom