Todays 70's-80's Punk,post punk, new wave, alternative playlist

Haven't listened to the early stuff in years. But the Buzz EP, DNOTD, and the posthumous Ballot Result are some of the best of their generation. Catchy songs? Not always, I'll agree. Maybe it's better to think of them as a jazz trio who loved punk rock & CCR.

I think the minutemen can be overly preachy and heavy handed at times with their message, and that's hard during the early 80 alternative/ punk era. That wouldn't bother me if the songs were if the quality of say, Afternoons.

I think the minutemen can be overly preachy and heavy handed at times with their message, and that's hard during the early 80 alternative/ punk era. That wouldn't bother me if the songs were if the quality of say, Afternoons.

I can see your point. Subtle they were not!

Still love & miss them.

I can see your point. Subtle they were not!

Still love & miss them.

Not that it means anything, but I believe I went to the same college in Wilmington, CA as the minutemen. I remember someone saying," look that's those guys in the minutemen ", but I probably didn't care enough to look.

Not that it means anything, but I believe I went to the same college in Wilmington, CA as the minutemen. I remember someone saying," look that's those guys in the minutemen ", but I probably didn't care enough to look.

I lived in LA for a few years, but never went down to that end of the Harbor Freeway. Never saw the Minutemen. Did see the Gang of Four (opening for Iggy Pop, whom I couldn't have cared less about, then or now) in Santa Monica & Tom Verlaine at the Roxy.

What I do regret is that I had a chance to see the Dream Syndicate at the Whiskey and didn't go. It was one of their last shows with Karl Precoda. Dumb dumb dumb...

I lived in LA for a few years, but never went down to that end of the Harbor Freeway. Never saw the Minutemen. Did see the Gang of Four (opening for Iggy Pop, whom I couldn't have cared less about, then or now) in Santa Monica & Tom Verlaine at the Roxy.

What I do regret is that I had a chance to see the Dream Syndicate at the Whiskey and didn't go. It was one of their last shows with Karl Precoda. Dumb dumb dumb...

Yea, I had a hard time even scraping enough cash for the low show prices in those Hollywood dives, there was a recession in the early/mid 80's. There were a few good shows I did see, that being where I could actually see something, with decent sound, when I wasn't out of it, JAMC, sisters of mercy, no means no, agent Orange, probably a few more I can't remember.

Yea, I had a hard time even scraping enough cash for the low show prices in those Hollywood dives, there was a recession in the early/mid 80's. There were a few good shows I did see, that being where I could actually see something, with decent sound, when I wasn't out of it, JAMC, sisters of mercy, no means no, agent Orange, probably a few more I can't remember.

Sounds very much like my life in those years!

Back
Top Bottom