Today's AMERICANA playlist.

Childe Harold, eh? That was a very small, dumpy (in)famous venue in Dupont Circle in DC. Lots of great acts played there before they were recognized as great acts.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/06/AR2007110602370.html

Gatton played at many such places in DC and I went to bunches of his shows. Big fan.
Some of the best gigs I've been to were at dump bars.
One was called Crocks and Rolls. Seriously. Mostly shows by the best 90s Canuck alt rock groups, but I also witnessed Roy Harper there, opening for The Tea Party.
And we have a local blues bar that's a dump that I've seen a pile of great shows at.

I had many a drink at the Childe Harold. Not in the 70s, mind you.

I'm also hitting the Merle Haggard 4 CD Down Every Road set. Will spin some of his early, rainbow label Capitol LPs later tonight.

Now spinnin'.

MI0003735478.jpg

upload_2016-6-13_11-33-44.jpegupload_2016-6-13_11-34-13.jpegupload_2016-6-13_11-34-40.jpeg
Some good stuff here, the Kicking Mule cd introduced me to a bunch of artists I had never heard of.

Huddie William Ledbetter
Lead Belly: The Complete Recordings in 25 Volumes (Part I: 1933-1939)
(Homemade compilation from several labels/sources)

Last edited:
Huddie William Ledbetter
Lead Belly: The Complete Recordings in 25 Volumes (Part II: 1940-1949)
(Homemade compilation from several labels/sources)

Various artists - "Look Ahead to the Wind - Johnny Cash's Bitter Tears Revisited"
An album for the first here to this continent.

P7047151.jpg

VANGUARD RECORDS VS. SUGAR HILL RECORDS
Solomon Poss presents a World Title Bout Over Twelve Rounds
Nickel Creek, Dolly Parton, Robert Earl Keen, John Fahey, Tim O'Brien, Joan Baez, Skip James, John Hammond, Jr., Sonny Landreth, Buddy Guy, Doc & Merle Watson, Ian & Sylvia

Vanguard/Sugar Hill

Mount Moriah ~ Miracle Temple
TIDAL

The North Carolina band's second album marks their Merge debut, where Heather McEntire sings of a life yoked to the tides of a town ruled by college seasons. She's country to the core, a quality the rest of the band emphasize by knowing how to hang back. (by Jessica Hopper)

10_700_700_mrg466.jpg

Back
Top Bottom