Today's Audiophile Album Playlist

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (SMS)

DR = 14

Miles%2BDavis%2B-%2BKind%2BOf%2BBlue%2B-%2BCD%2BALBUM-475803.jpg

Compared to my 1997 Columbia CD remixed release (DR = 13), I prefer this SMS version. The former release is clearer, but it also, as so typical of the loudness war which was fully underway by the late 90's, unnecessarily louder than need be imo.

These are the only two versions I actually have of this album since I played it so often during my teen and college years (first on cassette and later on the '97 CD release) that I don't often listen to it these days. I still should check out some other digital releases of it sometime.

That is a Beautiful thing! .....:tresbon:

Dennie :thmbsp:

Very cool. :smoke: I'll look into those. I'm not real big on blues and only have a few gold blues albums.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (SMS)

DR = 14

Compared to my 1997 Columbia CD remixed release (DR = 13), I prefer this SMS version. The former release is clearer, but it also, as so typical of the loudness war which was fully underway by the late 90's, unnecessarily louder than need be imo.

These are the only two versions I actually have of this album since I played it so often during my teen and college years (first on cassette and later on the '97 CD release) that I don't often listen to it these days. I still should check out some other digital releases of it sometime.

What kind of blues do you like? I've been happy with all of the Mofi blues CDs I have. Lots of good stuff there, so there might be a fit for you.

I haven't listened to my SMS KOB as much the past few years. The SACD seems to be my go-to version. I like them both, though.

That is a Beautiful thing! .....:tresbon:

Dennie :thmbsp:

It is.
Mine has a rip in the outer sleeve, though.
Same with my Robert Johnson. My two favorite titles from that series, and both have damaged covers.:sigh:

What kind of blues do you like? I've been happy with all of the Mofi blues CDs I have. Lots of good stuff there, so there might be a fit for you.

You know, I'm such a neophyte when it comes to blues that I couldn't really say. I have about 20-30 blues titles in my CD collection (which is over 9000 CDs) as I just don't, for the most part, listen to the blues often. But I do like to collect gold CD's and they usually pick the best albums from a given artist/group, so it's safe to assume that I'd like most of the blues titles that have been offered from them.

Speaking of which, here's one which I enjoy from time to time:

R.L. Burnside - First Recordings (MFSL, SACD)

DR = 11

drdt2w.jpg

Last edited:
U2 - The Unforgettable Fire (MFSL)

DR = 12

The%2BUnforgettable%2BFire%2BMFSL%2BU2%2BUF%2BMFSL.jpg

My favorite version of this album. The original press CD is just a bit hollow sounding while this one retains the clarity of the original press and adds some "meat". I also have the 25th Anniversary remastered release, but it's just a bit too loud for my preferences, though it's not really brick walled (it has a DR of 10).

You know, I'm such a neophyte when it comes to blues that I couldn't really say. I have about 20-30 blues titles in my CD collection (which is over 9000 CDs) as I just don't, for the most part, listen to the blues often. But I do like to collect gold CD's and they usually pick the best albums from a given artist/group, so it's safe to assume that I'd like most of the blues titles that have been offered from them.

Speaking of which, here's one which I enjoy from time to time:

R.L. Burnside - First Recordings (MFSL, SACD)

DR = 11

Ah, OK. There are some real nice titles, for sure.

I have a copy of that RL, but I don't think it's the Mofi. Probably my favorite from him. I'm not too big on his later albums. After seeing him live, where he just nailed it with a stripped down trio, they don't work well for me much.

I didn't get to the Mayall Mofi CDs yesterday, so up this afternoon is The Blues Alone, and Bluesbreakers With Eric Clapton.

Ah, OK. There are some real nice titles, for sure.

Definitely. :thmbsp: One of my favorite things about listening to my gold CD collection is that it's an eclectic mix of some of the best albums ever recorded in various genres. :music:

Metallica - Ride the Lightning (DCC)

DR = 9

51CWPyP7pcL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

My favorite Metallica album, but this version is sub par imo. The DR is low (anything below 10 is usually too brick walled imo to sound truly good) and accordingly the volume is just too loud, and the air, clarity, and separation between the instruments is compromised resulting in a fatiguing overall muffled and unexciting sound.

My much preferred version of this album is the original CD press which has a DR of 12. The clarity, air, and separation of the instruments is much better and as a result so are the dynamics and the album is more powerful as it should be (love the snap of the drums and clash of the cymbals!).

The B-52's - Cosmic Thing (AF)

DR = 14

AFZ077_grande_grande.jpg%3Fv%3D1372306295

A nice sounding release on gold or original press imo. The gold is slightly warmer than the original press, while the original press (DR = 13) has more clarity.

I played John Lee Hooker - Boogie Chillen' the other day. It's an Audio Fidelity SACD. Not sure if it deserved the "audiophile" treatment, but it's a good one. And Hoffman did his usual non-futzing work on it.:thmbsp:

^^^ Many of the more "audiophile" genres (jazz, classical, blues...etc.) are already well recorded so the gold version can be superfluous.

However, I still have 30+ gold cds from these genres because gold cds are just fun to collect and sometimes the SQ is better and not just different than other CD releases of the albums imo.

Rock and pop releases are more amenable to the different mastering gold makers provide imo. But, again, they aren't always better and are often just different imo.

Yes - 90125 (AF)

DR = 12

Yes%2B-%2B90125%2B-%2BCD%2BALBUM-494582.jpg

I prefer my original press CD (DR = 13) over this release, as this one is noticeably louder and a bit more "hollow/thumpy" sounding.

Illinois Jacquet
Swing's The Thing
-Verve- (45rpm, mono, Analogue Productions)

IMG_1582_zpscb9d7aab.jpg

You always take the best pictures nines. :thmbsp:

Toto - IV (MFSL)

DR = 12

front-34.png

Imo this one should be avoided and the SMS version I posted on page one sought out instead. MFSL messed up on this one; it literally sounds tubby and unclear with a small soundstage/lack of air. The SMS gold CD and then the first press CD are by far better imo.

Back
Top Bottom