Today's Audiophile Album Playlist

You always take the best pictures nines. :thmbsp:

You're making me blush...

Cannonball Adderley Quintet in Chicago
-Mercury- (Speakers Corner Records)

IMG_4409_zpsc6ec6b88.jpg

You're making me blush...

I'm sure I'm not the first to say it!

I like the vinyl recommendations itt; for if I ever do get into vinyl then I'll have a place to start! :thmbsp:

Mike + the Mechanics - S/T (AF)

DR = 13

2348899.jpg

Interesting choice for a gold release since it is not a "classic" album imo, but it is a good album and I love the first two tracks. Again it's a toss up between this version and the original CD press (DR = 13) imo. Both are good according to mood.

51a0FbQmloL.jpg

Groove Yard -- 20bit K2 Remastered XRCD

The Montgomery Brothers

1961/1994 Riverside/Fantasy/JVC

This record makes you wonder why there weren't more great hard-bop albums made by guitarist-led quartets -- or, for that matter, why Wes didn't record more with his brothers. The guitarist is joined by brothers Buddy on piano and Monk on string bass, with Bobby Thomas on drums. There are two originals by Buddy and one by Wes ('Doujie') as well as tunes by Milt Jackson, Harold Land and others. These are tunes the brothers were playing as part of a regular gig they had in New York City at the time of the recording in 1961.As a result the arrangements are remarkably tight and the interplay is exhilarating--there's plenty of blowing, but it's hardly a "blowing session" per se. The album is rightly credited as a group effort; even though Wes has plenty of room to stretch out, the emphasis, as the title suggests, is on grooving as an ensemble. The brothers tend to hang in the middle tempos, further contributing to the sense of relaxation that runs throughout the eight tunes here. Highly recommended.

Track listing

"Bock to Bock (Back to Back)" (Buddy Montgomery) – 6:48
"Groove Yard" (Carl Perkins) – 3:05
"If I Should Lose You" (Ralph Rainger, Leo Robin) – 5:52
"Delirium" (Harold Land) – 3:41
"Just For Now" (Buddy Montgomery) – 5:00
"Doujie" (Wes Montgomery) – 4:39
"Heart Strings" (Milt Jackson) – 4:38
"Remember" (Irving Berlin) – 5:36

The song "Groove Yard" is usually titled "Grooveyard".

Personnel includes: Wes Montgomery (arch top electric guitar); Buddy Montgomery (piano); Monk Montgomery (Fender bass); Bobby Thomas (drums).Recorded in January, 1961. Originally released on Riverside (9362).Digitally remastered by JVC using XRCD (extended resolution compact disc).

517IW0A%2B3aL.jpg

The Spirit of 176 -- SACD

George Shearing and Hank Jones

1989/2003 Concord Records

George Shearing and Hank Jones have always been very well-rounded pianists fully capable of playing unaccompanied solos. Their unique matchup as a two-piano duo on this Concord release works surprisingly well for the two pianists manage to stay out of each other's way and the ensembles are not overcrowded. The pianists tackle colorful material including "Angel Eyes," and Thelonious Monk's "I Mean You," an original apiece, Mary Lou Williams's "Lonely Moments," "Star Eyes" and "Confirmation," and the results are swinging and tasteful. This somewhat obscure Concord CD is worth investigating. ~ Scott Yanow

1. Oh, Look at Me Now
2. Angel Eyes
3. I Mean You
4. You Don't Know What Love Is
5. To Hank Jones
6. Minor Contention
7. Ask Me Now
8. Triste
9. Take a Good Look
10. Sweet Lorraine
11. Young No More
12. Lonely Moments
13. Star Eyes
14. Confirmation

Personnel: George Shearing (piano); Hank Jones (piano).Recorded at A&R Studios, New York, New York in March 1988.

This was the first session for The MJQ done specifically for 12-inch record and was also Connie Kay's first recording with the group after replacing Kenny Clarke. "I'll Remember April" was done at a separate session (discographies don't tell us this) because John Lewis, the perfectionist, was dissatisfied with the first version.

51eLxOvq%2BwL.jpg

Concorde -- Remastered 20bit K2 XRCD2

The Modern Jazz Quartet

1955/1997 Prestige/JVC Records

Cool Counterpoint April 27, 2004
By A Customer
Format:Audio CD

This underrated album is an Apollonian masterpiece. It balances the cool, formalist approach to jazz (that one expects from MJQ) with a genuine swinging impulse. The recording features two originals (by Jackson and Lewis) framing a set of superb and superbly played standards. "I'll Remember April," transformed into a hard-swinging scherzo, is a real stand-out (although Erroll Garner's version from a few months later remains definitive in my book). The concluding title track is Lewis's tour-de-force, a complex jazz fugue that lends the session a strong feeling of culmination. Throughout, the album delivers subtle counterpoint ("Softly" begins by quoting from Bach's Musical Offering) and thoughtful structure; it really rewards carefully attention. If you like your jazz on the cool, cerebral side, or if you are coming to jazz from the world of classical music, this album should be mandatory listening. But the music isn't austere: in addition to being substantive, it's a lot of fun.

1. Ralph's New Blues
2. All Of You
3. I'll Remember April
4. Gershwin Medley: Soon/For You, For Me, Forevermore/ ove Walked In/Our Love Is Here To Stay
5. Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise
6. Concorde

The Modern Jazz Quartet: John Lewis (piano); Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay (drums).Recorded in New York, New York on July 2, 1955. Originally released on Prestige (7109). Includes liner notes by Ira Gitler.Digitally remastered using 20-bit K2 Super Coding System technology.

KGrHqJqFGFmouCBR55LjLL60_1_zps6c114aba.jpg

Blues & Things -- 24/96 DVD-A

Earl Hines & Jimmy Rushing

1967/1998 Classic Records

A very hip 1967 encounter by Mr. 5 X 5 and another member of Jazz royalty, the Earl of Hines. Pianist Hines puts all eighty-eight keys to good use supporting the rotund blues-shouter Rushing, with Budd Johnson in attendance on tenor and soprano saxes, Bill Pemberton on bass, and Oliver Jackson at the drum kit. These sessions, originally released on the MJR label, possess great sound due to legendary engineer Rudy Van Gelder. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face and start your foot to tappin'.

Track Listings
1. Exactly Like You
2. Louisiana
3. Am I Blue
4. Summertime
5. Changin' The Blues
6. Save It Pretty Mama
7. Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone
8. One Night In Trinidad
9. St Louis Blues

Earl Hines - Piano, Jimmy Rushing - Vocal, Budd Johnson - Tenor & Soprano Sax, Bill Pemberton - Bass, Oliver Jackson - Drums

Rush - Power Windows

DR = 13

rpw.jpg

One of the better sounding Rush releases imo (though many find it too clinical). This is the first CD press (the "atom" discs, such as seen in my avatar which is the first press of Moving Pictures) and is the best I've heard of all the releases of this album (including the various remasters), which, imo, holds true for all first press CD releases of Rush albums (of which either the Japanese, West Germany, and/or USA first CD presses should be sought imo) over other later releases in general (with the exception of some of the gold cd Rush releases which just sound different imo).

Attachments

• disc.jpg
    disc.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Own a lot of XRCD's Dennie? I've got several but have yet to do a thorough analysis of their SQ compared to other CD releases. So far I think they sound pretty good. :thmbsp:

I've got a few and have found the majority of them sound better than the standard CD issue. :thmbsp:

I was hoping they wouldn't, as they can be pricey!
eek.gif
LOL

Dennie

I've got a few and have found the majority of them sound better than the standard CD issue. :thmbsp:

I was hoping they wouldn't, as they can be pricey!
eek.gif
LOL

Dennie

I've heard mixed things about them...I'm still undecided myself. They sure have a lot of great titles for sure!

Johnny Griffin - The Little Giant (XRCD)

DR = 10

qof5ag.jpg

Audiophile disc? I think so! This is the best version (on cd) of "The Great Summit" I've come across.... :yes:

0000414396_350_zps34bc1817.jpg

The Great Summit - Complete Sessions - Deluxe 2CD (24/96) Edition

Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington

1961/2000 Roulette/Capitol (EU Import)

One of the most historic jazz records ever recorded, THE COMPLETE SESSIONS brings together, for the first and only time, the two most influential figures in jazz. Living up to the expectations placed upon such a meeting would, of course, be impossible, but this album is wonderful by any standard. The format is an interesting one in that basically Duke Ellington assumed Billy Kyle's piano chair in the 1961 version of Armstrong's All Stars band. Rather than performing Armstrong's usual repertoire, however, the two giants chose to record a selection of Ellington's best compositions.The resulting album allowed Duke to play some of his most sensitive, relaxed jazz piano on record and gave Satchmo a chance to stretch out on some unfamiliar material, which he does with his usual flair and inventiveness. High points include Armstrong's boisterous solos, amazing improvised scatting and extra lyrics on a high-energy version of "Cottontail" and Ellington's lean, supple lines on "Duke's Place." The seemingly infallible trombonist Trummy Young contributes swinging, bluesy solos throughout and clarinetist Barney Bigard plays with an air of sophistication that well suits the Ellington vibe.

Track Listing
DISC 1: THE MASTER TAKES:
(Together for the first time)
1. Duke's Place - (previously unreleased)
2. I'm Just a Lucky So and So - (previously unreleased)
3. Cotton Tail - (previously unreleased)
4. Mood Indigo - (previously unreleased)
5. Do Nothin' Till You Hear from Me - (previously unreleased)
6. The - (previously unreleased) Beautiful American
7. Black and Tan Fantasy - (previously unreleased)
8. Drop Me off in Harlem - (previously unreleased)
9. The - (previously unreleased) Mooche
10. In a Mellow Tone - (previously unreleased)
(The Great Reunion of..)
11. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing) - (previously unreleased)
12. Solitude - (previously unreleased)
13. Don't Get Around Much Anymore - (previously unreleased)
14. I'm Beginning to See the Light - (previously unreleased)
15. Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me) - (previously unreleased)
16. I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good) - (previously unreleased)
17. Azalea - (previously unreleased)

DISC 2: THE MAKING OF THE GREAT SUMMIT:
1. In a Mellow Tone: Warm Up / Complete Take (Take 1) - (Warm-up/Take One-Complete Take#)
2. I'm Beginning to See the Light: False Start (Take 1) / Two False Starts (Take 4) / Complete Take (Take 5) / Conversation/False Start (Take 6) / Long False Start (Take 7) - (Take 1-False Start/Take 4-2 False Sta)
3. Working Out Arrang) Do Nothin' Till You Hear from Me: Rehearsal/Working Out Arrangement (Take 1) / Discussion/Complete Take (Take 2) / False Start (Take 3) - (Take 1-Rehearsal
4. Don't Get Around Much Anymore: Breakdown (Take 2) / Breakdown (Take 3) / Discussion/False Start (Take 4) / Complete Take (Take 5) / Discussion/Rehearsal Of Ending - (Take 2-Breakdown/Take 3-Breakdown/Take)
5. Take 5/Luckey Roberts Intro/Complete Take) Duke's Place - (previously unreleased
6. Take 2-Complete Take) Drop Me off in Harlem - (previously unreleased
7. I'm Just a Lucky So and So: Conversation / False Start (Take 1) / Complete Take/Discussion (Take 2) - (Conversation/Take 1-False Start/Take 2-Com)
8. False Start/Take 9-False Start) Azalea: Discussion/False Start (Take 8) / False Start (Take 9) / Complete In Two Sections (Take 10) - (#Take 8-Discussion
9. Take 3-False Start/Conversation Leading to Take) Black and Tan Fantasy: False Start (Take 3) / Conversation Leading To Take Four / False Start (Take 5) / Complete Take (Take 6) - (previously unreleased
10. Band Discussion on Cottontail - (previously unreleased)

THE GREAT REUNION was recorded April 3, 1961. Includes liner notes by Stanley Dance.THE GREAT SUMMIT: THE MASTER TAKES was originally released as THE COMPLETE LOUIS ARMSTRONG & DUKE ELLINGTON SESSIONS.Personnel: Louis Armstrong (vocals, trumpet); Duke Ellington (piano); Trummy Young (trombone); Barney Bigard (clarinet); Mort Herbert (bass); Danny Barcelona (drums).Producer: Bob Thiele.Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.Recorded at RCA Studios, New York, New York on April 3 & 4, 1961. Includes liner notes by Dan Morgenstern.Digitally remastered by Ron McMaster using 24-bit technology.Disc 1 is the previously released THE COMPLETE LOUIS ARMSTRONG & DUKE ELLINGTON SESSIONS. Disc 2 is a bonus CD of conversations, false starts and outtakes from the same sessions.

51lIotqVN-L.jpg

A 20-bit Taste of DMP -- SBM CD

Various DMP Artists

1993 Digital Music Products

One of My All Time Favorites August 5, 2012
By Acolin
Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase

As a reviewer for EnjoyTheMusic and with Facebook pages on Audio Tube Amp, Big Ole Horns and Tweaking Audiophile front-end, one of my all time favorite CDs is the amazing 20 Bit Taste of DMP sampler from Digital Music Products (DMP). (Go to [...]). A jazzy CD, it is one I carry with me to test other systems. It is clear - it is clean. There is more silence in the quiet passages than almost all of my other CDs. I love every other song on this slim disc and play it regularly. It has deep and fast kick drums, high and sweet chimes, smooth female vocals and resounding pianos. All other systems always sound their very best when playing the DMP CDs.

The second song on this sample disc, "FYI", is a perky little tune from Chuck Leob's Mediterranean CD (DMP CD-494). FYI opens with the drums and bass in a snappy joyful melody. The horns pick up the tune, while the piano and guitar punctuate the chorus with sharp attack notes. Although there are no vocals on this little ditty, it does give a good range of dynamic frequencies and instruments.

Mid-way through the song, the drum snaps add to the guitar instrumental. As the song moves into its final movements, the drum snaps come more frequently, and a set of chimes shimmers as if blown by a cold wind. In the closing sequence, all the instruments weave the melodic tune, the drums start a rhythmic pounding, and as they begin to fade away, the horns add into the crescendo. It is a nice, foot tapping fusion jazz tune.

For example, you should know that I love the Digital Music Product (DMP) CDs. They are among my all time favorites. Stereophile magazine (Nov. 99) emoted verbosely over the DMP does DSD SACD, gushing that is "replete with enjoyable sonic doodads of every kind: delicately struck cymbals over whacking good made-ya-blink drumwork, a mellifluous, yet taut and precise guitar, and a rich'n'redolent acoustic bass."

For my part, the DMP disc is clear - it is clean. There is more silence in the quiet passages than almost all of my other CDs. The highs are ice cold. The lows are deep and rich. The recording is un-crowded, so highs and lows are vivid contrasts to each other.

Track Listing
1. Stone Ground - Warren Bernhardt
2. FYI - Chuck Loeb
3. Freedomland - Bob Mintzer Big Band
4. Fools Gold - The Vivino Brothers
5. The - Jay Anderson Third Rail
6. Rain - David Charles/David Friedman
7. One Music - Bob Mintzer
8. Old World New World - Dan Brubeck/The Dolphins
9. I Love You - Dick Oatts/Garry Dial
10. Fatty's BBQ - Bob Smith

Performers include: Warren Bernhardt, Bob Mintzer, Chuck Loeb, The Dolphins, Bob's Diner, Garry Dial & Dick Oats, Jay Anderson, David Charles & David Friedman, The Vivino Brothers Band.This CD incorporates 20-bit Super Bit Mapping recording, mixing and mastering technology.Personnel: Lisa Lombardo, Catherine Russell (vocals).

Back
Top Bottom