Today's Audiophile Album Playlist

Joe Henderson
Inner Urge
-Blue Note- (45rpm, Music Matters Ltd.)

IMG_4338_zps52ca25e8.jpg

Sorry guys, I'm posting vinyl.

But if you hear this vinyl, you'll understand. :)

Bill Evans Trio
Trio '65
-Verve- (45rpm, ORG)

IMG_1539_zpsb3da1768.jpg

Don't be sorry NINES, we love to see the vinyl too! :yes:

51z2Qg0PZ%2BL._SS400_.jpg

Stardust - The Music of Hoagy Carmichael -- SACD

Bill Charlap

2002/2003 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

With his elegant lyric sensibility and use of classic harmonics, which might best be characterized as equal parts Hank Jones and Bill Evans, pianist Bill Charlap manages to suggest something at once timeless and modern in his approach to jazz piano. And while references to past and present masters of the keyboard abound in this recital of Hoagy Carmichael compositions (as in his tasty appropriation of Evans's tolling intro to "Some Other Time" on a poignant reading of "The Nearness of You," or his interpolation of Red Garland's "Billy Boy" as a prelude to "I Walk with Music"), Charlap manages to evoke the dreamy, unhurried character redolent of so much of Carmichael's music, while maintaining his own probing, crystalline presence. Thus, while a briskly swinging jaunt through "Jubilee" finds him navigating an equestrian set of changes in a round-robin romp with his exceptionally empathetic rhythm mates (bassist Peter Washington and drummer Kenny Washington), his sultry flirting with tenorist Frank Wess on "Blue Orchids" and his lofty harmonic byplay with guitarist Jim Hall reveal a musician wise beyond his years--restrained and relaxed and confident enough not to hide behind a fusillade of empty notes. Such maturity is part of what makes his storytelling accompaniments behind master vocalists Tony Bennett and Shirley Horn--and a breathtakingly slow, humid trio treatment of "Georgia"--so richly rewarding. --Chip Stern

1. Jubilee
2. I Get Along Without You Very Well
3. Rockin' Chair
4. I Walk With Music
5. Two Sleepy People
6. Nearness Of You
7. One Morning In May
8. Blue Orchids
9. Georgia On My Mind
10. Stardust
11. Skylark

Good stuff Dennie! :thmbsp: I don't have either of those but they are now on the list.

Phoebe Snow - S/T (DCC)

rr401d.jpg

I loves me some Phoebe Snow!

I have the standard CD, but I bet that one sounds fantastic! :thmbsp:

Thanks for posting it PW! :yes:

Dennie

I loves me some Phoebe Snow!

I have the standard CD, but I bet that one sounds fantastic! :thmbsp:

Thanks for posting it PW! :yes:

Dennie

That's actually the only PS I have. I only have it because a friend gave it to me. I suppose her other albums are worth getting?

It does sound good, but I'm sure it sounds good on regular cd as well. :thmbsp:

That's actually the only PS I have. I only have it because a friend gave it to me. I suppose her other albums are worth getting?

It does sound good, but I'm sure it sounds good on regular cd as well. :thmbsp:

I think so. I have a few on vinyl and like them all.

"It Looks Like (Phoebe) Snow" is very good, if you can find at a reasonable price!

Dennie

resizesq450uid6439129.jpg

Our Gang -- SACD

The Anthony Wilson Trio

2001 Groove Note Records

Anthony's Trio is Top Notch, June 2, 2001
By Ryan Meagher (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Gang (Audio CD)

I have heard many compare LA's hippest trio to the famous Larry Goldings organ trio Back East. Though they do share some qualities, I think Anthony Wilson's trio stands by itself. Originality, creativity, swing-feel, repertoire, and "outness," are all things that set Wilson's trio apart from Goldings'. This is not to say Goldings' trio does not do these things. Lord knows they do it as good, if not better than anyone, but the guys in Anthony's trio do the same things with their own spin. I also think Joe Bagg and Mark Ferber communicate to each other on their instruments as good as anyone in the business. This Groove Note release is a great example of some of the things this trio can do. As with most musicians, the experience is really felt when it is live! The same holds true for this amazing group, but their great sound is captured on this wonderful album. I thoroughly enjoyed it from front to back. I totally recommend buying it.

Our Gang
Chitlins Con Carne
Britta's Blues
Time Flies
Road Trip
Luck be A Lady
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Prelude To A Kiss

I think so. I have a few on vinyl and like them all.

"It Looks Like (Phoebe) Snow" is very good, if you can find at a reasonable price!

Dennie

I'm sure you're right. :yes: I certainly like her S/T album! :music: Yet more music to buy added to the list. (Thanks a lot Dennie! :mad: :D).

Aretha Franklin - Lady Soul & Aretha Now (MFSL)

DR = 12

ahoraleidisoul.jpeg

619xIxK%2Bh1L._SL500_.jpg

Come On In This House -- SACD

Junior Wells

1996 Telarc Music

All tracks have been digitally remastered.

Junior Wells' penchant for clowning around sometimes conflicts with his craftsmanship, but he's all business on Come on in This House, his most unadulterated blues record since his highly acclaimed Hoodoo Man Blues of more than 30 years vintage. This is what has come to be known as an "unplugged" session -- that is, predominately, although not exclusively, acoustic instrumentation. Producer John Snyder's concept was threefold: to team Wells with some of the era's top younger traditional blues guitarists -- Corey Harris, Alvin Youngblood Hart, Sonny Landreth, Bob Margolin, and John Mooney; to have those musicians, in various combinations, accompany Wells on a variety of slide guitars; and to concentrate on vintage Chicago and Delta blues from the repertoires of Rice Miller, Little Walter, Tampa Red, Arthur Crudup, and Wells himself. The result is a virtual slide-guitar mini-fest and a demonstration of the timeless appeal of classic blues done well. Wells' vocals are deep and manly; his harp playing is high-pitched, like a child's pleading. A surprising highlight is the only contemporary tune on the disc, Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Reason." New Orleans drummer Herman Ernest III, who appears on 11 of the 14 cuts, does a masterful job laying down understated rhythmic grooves. ~ Steve Hoffman

Track listing

1. What My Momma Told Me / That's All Right
2. Why Are People Like That?
3. Trust My Baby
4. Million Years Blues
5. Give Me One Reason
6. Ships on the Ocean
7. She Wants to Sell My Monkey
8. So Glad You're Mine
9. Mystery Train
10. I'm Gonna Move to Kansas City
11. King Fish Blues
12. You Better Watch Yourself
13. Come on in This House
14. Goat, The

Barry Manilow - Ultimate Manilow (K2HD CD)

DR = 10

41FiYgWMygL.jpg

I'm not much of a "Fanilow" but my father used to play Manilow in the 80's when I was a kid so I've got to have some Manilow in my collection if for nothing else but "to nostalgia". :D

51qtCfLs4dL.jpg

Out of Sight -- SACD

Poncho Sanchez

2003 Concord Picante

The legendary conguero may be known as one of the modern kings of all jazz that's Latin, but he's also an old-school soul junkie at heart, having grown up in southern California in the '60s; while he was learning to play tropical Latin music professionally, his radio was full of classic Stax and Motown. Increasingly aware that classic R&B songs adapt well to the jazzy cha cha tempos that drive his ensemble, Sanchez evolves beautifully on the new collection into a style of Latin soul that's truly compelling. The opening track, the funky, brass-driven cha cha "One Mint Julep," features not only the organ arpeggios of Billy Preston, but also two of the horn guys from the James Brown band, Fred Wesley and Pee Wee Ellis. "JB's Strut" funks out with the horniest of them, but Brown is paid even greater homage on blues/soul/big-band/Latin renderings of three of his tunes, "Saints and Sinners," "Out of Sight" (sung with a tongue-in-cheek Brown bravura by Sanchez), and "Conmigo." And while he's at it, Sanchez invites two legendary soul men to make things even more authentic. Sam Moore has a blast with the sassy "Hitch It to the Horse," while Ray Charles adds his whimsical touch to the salsified blues tune "Mary Ann." The remaining question is, just where is the Godfather of Soul himself? Hopefully, he's proud of one of the most unique tributes to him ever fashioned. ~ Jonathan Widran

1. One Mint Julep
2. El Shing-A-Ling
3. Hitch It To The Horse
4. Saints & Sinners
5. Mary Ann
6. Not Necessarily
7. Conmigo
8. JB's Strut
9. Out Of Sight
10. El Tambor Del Mongo

This is a hybrid Super Audio CD playable on both regular and Super Audio CD players.This is an Enhanced CD, which contains both regular audio tracks and multimedia computer files.Personnel: Poncho Sanchez (vocals, congas, percussion); Ray Charles, Sam Moore (vocals); Scott Martin (alto, tenor & baritone saxophone, flute); Pee Wee Ellis (alto & tenor saxophones); Serafin Aguilar (trumpet, flugelhorn); Francisco Torres, Fred Wesley (trombone); Dale Spaulding (harmonica); David Torres (piano, Hammond B-3 organ); Billy Preston (organ); Sal Vasquez (guitar, tres, bongos, percussion); George Ortiz (congas, timbales); Francisco Aguabella (bata drums).Recorded at O'Henry Sound, Burbank, California; G Digital Sound, Studio City, California; Capitol, Hollywood, California; Fourth Street Studios, Santa Monica, California. Includes liner notes by Jesse "Chuy" Varela.

Barry Manilow - Ultimate Manilow (K2HD CD)

DR = 10

41FiYgWMygL.jpg

Follow up to this post:

Having listened to this again, I'm reminded at how bad it sounds: harsh and fatiguing, hollow, lacking sound stage and depth, louder than necessary, etc.

The funny thing is that, back when I first got this and was surprised at how bad it sounded, I bought the standard Redbook CD release as well to compare the two. And there was no difference, they both sounded the exact same.

So all the K2HD release did was to take the badly remastered 2002 versions of these songs and slap their label/marketing on it.

I also have the traditional Redbook releases of Barry Manilow - Greatest Hits (1978) and the three volume greatest hits series (1989) as posted below. A/B'ing the tracks between these and the 2002 versions, they all sound better on the earlier standard Redbook release. The DR is 12 for these releases as well which is also better. There is a back ground tape hiss which the 2002 remasters did almost entirely eliminate, but the regular versions are still much better sounding, if not stellar (maybe Manilow never did record well?).

So, imo, these greatest hit CD's are much more recommended than the 2002 versions whether on regular CD or K2HD:

Barry%2BManilow%2B-%2BGreatest%2BHits%2B-%2BDOUBLE%2BLP-527758.jpg
0000479174_500.jpg
51sei6oavjL.jpg
518Tg07LwTL.jpg

Listened to an oddball recent thrift pickup.

Columbia Records - Listening In Depth

It's an early stereo demo LP. It comes in a box with a technical booklet and a sheet with the track listing. Not exactly an "audiophile" release, but still in the spirit of this thread. They certainly picked some nice sounding tracks.

One weird thing I noticed is that 2nd side has two run out grooves. After the last track(which is actually a recording from an airport), there is a run out groove, and then a guy talking, followed by a stereo "test". After that short test there is a regular run out groove.

Listened to an oddball recent thrift pickup.

Columbia Records - Listening In Depth

It's an early stereo demo LP. It comes in a box with a technical booklet and a sheet with the track listing. Not exactly an "audiophile" release, but still in the spirit of this thread. They certainly picked some nice sounding tracks.

One weird thing I noticed is that 2nd side has two run out grooves. After the last track(which is actually a recording from an airport), there is a run out groove, and then a guy talking, followed by a stereo "test". After that short test there is a regular run out groove.

I'd say those test releases count! :thmbsp: They can be very helpful for testing/choosing gear imo.

Janis Joplin - Pearl (SMS)

DR = 12

21kkwao.jpg

Back
Top Bottom