Today's Blues Playlist

Since you can't have too much Muddy, I would highly recommend

Muddy Waters- One More Mile
Chess Collectibles vol. 1
Two disc set

This is alternative takes and material that did not make the Chess Box set. Great selection. But what really makes this set special are the 11 tracks from 1972 recorded for a Switzerland radio broadcast. Muddy with Mojo Buford and Louis Meyers acoustic set. This could be released as a stand alone album. And I prefer it to Folk Singer.
A Muddy must have

Muddy Waters
Mister Kelly's
Chicago, IL
11-12 June 1971

* I'll get that '66 Fillmore show next.

Not a bad one-two punch. Or if you include Newport and the Winters era one, not a bad one-two-three-four punch.
Listening to them all together it's interesting to note the different band members he had over that period, and their styles.
Some of those bands were straight up badass. Literally. Pat Hare comes to mind.

Two disc set

This is alternative takes and material that did not make the Chess Box set. Great selection. But what really makes this set special are the 11 tracks from 1972 recorded for a Switzerland radio broadcast. Muddy with Mojo Buford and Louis Meyers acoustic set. This could be released as a stand alone album. And I prefer it to Folk Singer.
A Muddy must have
Whoa! I'm gonna look for this to add to my Chess Box Set.

After much searching and relatively high expense, I finally got a beautiful vinyl copy of Sonny Terry "Sonny's Story!" Great album...

Two disc set

A Muddy must have
Woah, I almost missed this post due to the page change thing while posting, but thanks to parman's reply I didn't.
I only have an MP3 copy of this one, but it is HIGHLY recommended for Muddy fans. A case where digging into the vaults is a worthy cause. One of these days I'm gonna buy a proper copy.
Pretty sure there's a Wolf Chess Collectibles, too. Haven't heard it, though.

Last edited:
Not a bad one-two punch. Or if you include Newport and the Winters era one, not a bad one-two-three-four punch.
Listening to them all together it's interesting to note the different band members he had over that period, and their styles.
Some of those bands were straight up badass. Literally. Pat Hare comes to mind.

Thanks for posting the vid Kris.

Thanks for posting the vid Kris.
My pleasure, I figured you'd dig it.
As you know, Hare is one of those missing links when it comes to the whole blues-rock-metal thing. Sad that the song turned out to be prophetic, but damn is his tone dirty in that video. And it was the mid 50s!

Yes there is a Wolf Chess Collectible

Howlin' Wolf - Ain't Gonna Be Your Dog
Chess Collectible vol 2
Two disc set

This is alternate takes and songs not included in Wolf Chess Box. Disc one is primarily Memphis/Sun recordings with the great Willie Johnson on guitar and disc two is Chicago/Chess recordings with the great Hubert Sumlin. A great addition to any collection.
This also includes four acoustic songs of just Wolf and his guitar. You can hear him channel Charlie Patton.
Warning: one bad song on disc two. You will know it when you hear it

Yes there is a Wolf Chess Collectible

Howlin' Wolf - Ain't Gonna Be Your Dog
Chess Collectible vol 2
Two disc set

This is alternate takes and songs not included in Wolf Chess Box. Disc one is primarily Memphis/Sun recordings with the great Willie Johnson on guitar and disc two is Chicago/Chess recordings with the great Hubert Sumlin. A great addition to any collection.
This also includes four acoustic songs of just Wolf and his guitar. You can hear him channel Charlie Patton.
Warning: one bad song on disc two. You will know it when you hear it
That's cool to learn. Thanks!

The one thing I dig about that Muddy set is that despite how much of his stuff I've heard, it brought a lot out that was new to me. And it's all GOOD.
Outtake stuff can be really hit/miss, but that set is gold.

Besides Muddy and Wolf, were there any others?
I'm guessing not, but I can wish.

The Wolf collection is very solid as well. If you like Wolf then it would be a good addition. I only mention the one bad song because Chess has Wolf doing some 60's pop music. It doesn't work.

There was also a Chess Collectibles vol 3 for Little Walter "Blues with a Feeling" to supplement the two disc Essential Little Walter. I don't have that yet but it is probably in my future.

The Wolf collection is very solid as well. If you like Wolf then it would be a good addition. I only mention the one bad song because Chess has Wolf doing some 60's pop music. It doesn't work.

There was also a Chess Collectibles vol 3 for Little Walter "Blues with a Feeling" to supplement the two disc Essential Little Walter. I don't have that yet but it is probably in my future.
Probably?:rflmao:

I really need to sort out my Walter collection. I own that single disc best of from about 10(?) years ago, plus a few CDRs.
One of them is a 28 track thing called Blues With A Feeling. I wonder if it's the same one?
I need to do a little research.

Muddy Waters Band
Fillmore Theatre
San Francisco, CA
4-5 November 1966

* Listening to these sets again, third, maybe fourth time in 5-6 days. You can't beat perfection.

Back
Top Bottom