Today's Blues Playlist

I'd sorta given up on this thread. Seemed I was the only one posting. Hard to keep a thread going by yourself. Thanks imready for digging it up from the dead zone. Here we go again..

Naw, don't give up on it. These specialty genre thread have a way of staying alive, even if they don't accumulate the multitude of threads that the more broad-based genre threads, e.g., Rock & Roll, do. We'll keep this Blues thread alive.

- edwin

I've been posting my blues and rock & roll on the "daily" lists. So now do I post the same album on the daily and the genre specific lists? Maybe I just stop doing the dailies...?
What is everytbody else doing?

Fleetwood Mac - Kiln House, 1970

The last album with Jeremy Spencer on board, Peter already long gone. Maybe at this point in the band's history you thought things could only get worse? For many blues fans, they did, but the band's balance sheet sure improved in the years to follow. :smoke:

Peter Green is probably my favorite electric guitar player. I own virtually all his stuff w/Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac). Get "Then Play On" his swansong with Mac and containing some of Green's greatest material ("Oh Well," "Rattlesnake Shake," the "Madge" jams). Also look for Macs earlier albums which contain more straight-ahead blues along with such gems as "Albatross," "Black Magic Woman" (Green composed it, not Santana), and others. If you're a hard core Greenophile, I'd recommend The 3 CD "The Boston Box—Live in Boston," recorded only a short time before he left Mac (but at the nadir of his ability); the 2 CD "live at the BBC," which includes all the onair material Mac did for the BBC over a period of years; and the "Blues Jam in Chicago," where Mac plays with some of their blues heros (Otis Spann, Willie Dixon, Walter "Shakey" Horton, and others) at Chess Studios.

Green succumbed to mental illness exacerbated by drug use from about '70 on, but did return to record several albums in the late '70s and again in the mid '90s till early 2000s with The Splinter Group (or Peter Green & The Splinter Group). He has since returned to limbo (as far as I know), last reports have him moving to Sweden.

Green's Fleetwood Mac was really three different bands. A no-holds-barred blues band, an oldies parody group (Jeremy Spencer's schtick), and rock/blues original material band. While everything is good, I sometimes find their goodtimey oldies parodies a bit pretentious (though Green is rarely short of amazing). The blues material is great, if derivative, but the original stuff (particularly Green's compositions) is as good as anyone's from this time.

What might have been. He was one of the most talented and virtuosic musicians to come along in the mid '60s. He had a subtly and integrity matched by few others of that legendary, and ofttimes bombastic, musical flowering. Enjoy what's there.

Last edited:
Hey Bjarmson, have you ever heard of Peter Green-"The End Of The Game"? Its from 1970 and its great in a very different kinf of Greenie way. Its not really a Blues album but more psychedellic, heavy guitar album.

Man, why don't they make em like that any more (psychedellic, heavy guitar album)?

wow, just bought john mayhall-blues brreakers with eric clapton this afternoon and listened to it a couple of hours ago on vinyl in excellent condition! great stuff!
john mayall -down the line just lifted from the platter.
john coltrane- blue train spinnin' as we speak

Hi Tubejunke. I've heard of "The End of the Game" but never actually listened to it. It was about the last thing Green recorded before he went into hiatus till the late 70s. Usually is given terrible reviews (excessive, self-indulgent, meandering jams, etc, etc). Suppose I'll have to get it one of these days just to decide for myself.

Weird how all the early Mac guitar players went bonkers in various ways: Green mental problems and drugs, Jeremy Spencer left to join a religious cult (Children of God), and Danny Kirwan became a drunk and got fired. When the early Mac was hitting on all cylinders, there wasn't a better group anywhere. Green of course raised the bar by himself, but McVie and Fleetwood were a great rhythm section, Spencer had the oldies rock/Elmore James schtick down to a T, and Kirwan complemented Green exceptionally well (their guitar interplay is right up there with Duane Allman/Dickie Betts, and there is no higher praise in my book).

I want to mention (for any of you unaware they exist) "The American Folk Blues Festival" DVDs (Vol 1-3). Video performances by many of the greatest bluesmen (and women) recorded from 1962-69 when they were on tour in Europe. The recordings are state of the art (60s black and white) and look and sound wonderful. They contain a who's who of blues performers alive at that time: Muddy Waters, T-Bone Walker, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, Otis Rush, Lonnie Johnson, Sippie Wallace, John Lee Hooker, Walter "Shakey" Horton, Junior Wells, Big Joe Williams, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Willie Dixon, Sonny Boy Williamson, Otis Spann, Memphis Slim, Big Mama Thornton, Roosevelt Sykes, Buddy Guy, Dr. Isaiah Ross, Big Joe Turner, Skip James, Bukka White, Son House, Hound Dog Taylor, Koko Taylor, Little Walter, Helen Humes Earl Hooker, Sunnyland Slim, Lightin' Hopkins, Victoria Spivey, Matt "Guitar" Murphy, Howlin' Wolf, and Magic Sam. If you ever wanted to see some of these legends playing, get these DVDs. Essential for any blues collection.

Back
Top Bottom